Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up brothers !!!:thumbsup:
this is some sort of diy for the armrest issue we have on our accord !
I decide to post this thread hoping it will help other members !!!
Couldnt have done it with the help of my wifey lol

go on ebay and buy the replacement cover lid , I paid 16 dollars shipped to my house this is what I got in the mail

Ive remove the armrest lid by removing 7 screws underneath and you will end up with this , then remove all the staples using any flat tool

I purchased this staple gun thinkin that it will work on the hard plastic of the lid WRONG I had to return it, the only way is using an air staple gun but since I dont have an air compressor

I decide to take it to my upholstery shop thinking that it will be like 15 bucks since I will be giving them everything and they just had to staple it ,wrong AGAIN they wanted 50 bucks I was like G T F O H lol
So I went and bought krazy glue ! 2 dollars
And starter working my way around using a heat gun or hair drier to soften the leather that way it will stretch for good fitment , PATIENCE is they key it took me 45 min to do it ! And here is the final product

Definetly BETTER MATERIAL THAN STOCK

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looks like you did a great job on that repair and saved yourself $$ in the process. Amazing what you can do with a sense of determination and a tube of super glue!!

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha yes brother thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hopefully this will help some people out, I have a feeling it will eventually happen to most of our cars. Good job :thmsup:

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha yeah I know bro , tomorrow its cleaning day lol, I hope this become a sticky to help others and save money

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
This definitely helps me out. Thanks for the tips. You did a great job Renzo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice write-up and pictures. I just did mine last weekend using the black w/ red stitching version. Wish I had known about heating the leather up to get it to stretch. Would've saved me a ton of time. I had an electric staple gun that did the trick, but had to use the small, shallow staples or they'd stick out too far.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks brothers, I thought about using the electric staple gun but I was guessing it wasnt strong enough, also the smallest size of staples were 1/4 and I also thought they might have been too long I tried cutting them but still didnt get power from the staple gun, im glad this helps

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Literally did the same thing today. I bought 1/4 inch staples and used a manual heavy duty staple gun to put it in. Heating up the leather with a heat gun worked wonders, however, the trickiest part to stapling were the corners. Took me about two and a half hours from start to finish. Wasn't bad at all and paid $23 for all the materials. Could have done a better job, but it was also my first time reupholstering/sewing ANYTHING - ended up with a couple battle scars.

Attachments

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks good bro, how did u make the staple gun work on plastic
did you do this after or before I posted this DIY

·
Marcus
156 Posts
It looks good bro, how did u make the staple gun work on plastic
did you do this after or before I posted this DIY
It took some persistence, man. I tried super glue, but it simply just wouldn't bond to the plastic. At least for me. So I kept at it with the staples, it looks like the glue you used did a MUCH better job than the staples. it was tricky and went through at least 200 trying to get them to sit right.

I did it before you posted the DIY. I actually followed this one: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146073

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great bro, it came out really good I basically decided to go with the glue since I didnt wanna get an air compressor, staple gun and all the accessories .

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice bro ! What type of staple gun did you use ?

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
I purchase the material on Amazon and had a profecianal leather shop installed it,they did use small staples .
It came out great ,they also put extra padding ,the OEM padding was so thin.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent bro how much did they charge you

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a problem bro im glad this post helps, please post pictures

1 - 20 of 127 Posts