Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since there were no changes for the I4 5MT between 03-07, I assume the drain plug and fill plug locations are the same for 2007 I4 5MT as well? Haven't had the chance to crawl under to verify. Going to attempt to change the MT fluid this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed the fluid this morning on my 04 accord. Went pretty smoothly overall. I had to add some penetrating oil to both the fill and drain plugs to get them off. I used 5/8" OD, 1/2" inner diameter plastic tubing (from home depot) and it fit pretty much perfectly into the fill hole. The entire process was pretty quick, probably less than a half hour...and this was the first work I've ever done on a car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just ordered amsoil synchromesh fluid, plan on doing it next weekend. Glad the diy is here. My car is 5 years old and has 50k on it so I think it can't hurt after reading some of the reviews in here.

·
Full Throttle
78 Posts
Just changed mine for the second time. I forgot where the fill and drain bolts were so I found myself coming back to this post. Just wanted to say thanks for the great info and pics! Easy DIY to do along with an oil change while you're under there.

Also, instead of filling from the top, I picked up a pump at Advanced Auto that hooks up directly to the top of the fluid bottle. I removed the drivers side front wheel and pumped in the fluid from there. Worked great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Want to say THANKS! to the OP.

Items like this is why the intarwebz is great. Saved myself a few bux from not having to take it to the dealer, even though they do charge a reasonable rate. My 2 cents for a 1st timer, take the wheel off. It may not be *necessary*, but it really helps getting an idea of where the drain is, and then based on this walkthrough where the fill is. Once you get it down the first time, you probably dont need to take off the wheel. I probably will anyhow because it makes getting in and out a little easier and it takes all of 2 minutes, but its not imperative.

Again, great walkthrough for those of us who have 5MTs.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Also, instead of filling from the top, I picked up a pump at Advanced Auto that hooks up directly to the top of the fluid bottle. I removed the drivers side front wheel and pumped in the fluid from there. Worked great.
I've used this from harbor freight for years. It's nice that the one end "clips" into the fill plug so you don't have to worry about it coming out.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
I took the speed sensor out of the front of the transmission to fill mine, otherwise I used the same steps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to share my lesson learned.

I used Honda recommend fluid from the dealer which he recommended two bottles but when I filled it, it wasn't over flowing so I had to get another one and got a little bit in and it started to over flow. So I recommend grabbing 3 quarts of fluid just to be sure.

Finally, I used this from Freight Harbor and worked beautifully.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

The hose went in to the fill hole nicely and I was just able to pump it in by myself. Of course this was with the driverside tire off. Thank OP for the awesome pictures!

·
Northern Canada
76 Posts
I just finished changing my fluid to Amsoil MTF Synchromesh. The strange thing is that I was only able to get 2 bottles in. Right at the end of bottle #2, it started overflowing a bit. I waited a while, cracked the 3rd bottle, and slowly poured it in, but it all ended up overflowing. I had the front end up on ramps, would that cause it not to get the little extra bit in the case? (It was maybe a foot off the ground)

End result is that is shifts much smoother. 2nd to 3rd is the most noticeable improvement. It is a nice upgrade, that's for sure!

·
1,015 Posts
I think a drain and fill calls for 2.1 quarts. I've never put more than 2 bottles in before it was full.

·
Northern Canada
76 Posts
I think a drain and fill calls for 2.1 quarts. I've never put more than 2 bottles in before it was full.
Now that I think about it, if you can't get the full 2.1 quats out, you won't be putting more than 2 back in! It would be nice if the drain was right on the bottom of the case, not the side.

·
1,015 Posts
IIRC, the drain is still the lowest part of the trans cavity, even if it's not oriented like most drain plugs.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts

·
1,015 Posts
I just stick a piece of clear tubing on the ramped nipple of the bottle and squeeze. :dunno:

21 - 40 of 80 Posts