Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just changed my MTF today using the OP's method. Worked well.

My question is, did everyone else have a lot of dripping afterwards? I noticed when I drained it, the fluid got all over the cross member and various small crannies. I cleaned up as best I could but still getting large drips.

How long does it take for the excess fluid to dry up?

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the drips if the drain and fill bolts are clean. Probably got into a crevices somewhere and its leaking down. Just park it in front of a neighbor's house overnight and have it drip in front of their house.

Just remember that the fluid did some flying out sideways. I know better now and going to put something to shield it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ha,I was just about to go looking for a thread just like this fot tips on changing my mt fluid.Thanks for bringing it back to the top

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you do this change with the front end of the car up on Rhino Ramps? Rather not take the wheel off if I can help it and easier for me to just go up on ramps rather than jack it and use jack stands

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Can you do this change with the front end of the car up on Rhino Ramps? Rather not take the wheel off if I can help it and easier for me to just go up on ramps rather than jack it and use jack stands
I don't think you'll be able to drain or fill it properly on rhino ramps, unless you jack up the rear to make the car/tranny level.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
Yes you can do it on ramps. Just use the speed sensor hole to fill it back up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to drain or fill it properly on rhino ramps, unless you jack up the rear to make the car/tranny level.

How is it different on ramps vs being on a jack stand?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes you can do it on ramps. Just use the speed sensor hole to fill it back up.
Speed sensor hole? Is that a different fill point??

·
Registered
79 Posts
The car/tranny is supposed to be level when you fill it. So it doesn't relly matter what you have it on as long as it's level.

Makes sense.....but are you able to access the drain/fill holes while car is level?

I haven't looked, just asking first

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Makes sense.....but are you able to access the drain/fill holes while car is level?

I haven't looked, just asking first
The car being level has nothing to do with being able to get to the drain/fill holes. They're in the same place regardless. :D

IMHO I think the ramps would be in the way just as much if not more than the tire is in the way. I've only ever done it with the wheel off since it's that much easier.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, call me a dummy and I'm confused.

So is the proper procedure

1) Jack car up and take wheel off
2) Place jack stand under axle for safety
3) Remove wheel
4) Drain tranny fluid
5) Replace wheel
6) Remove jack stand and lower car
7) Remove fill plug and fill with new fluid until starts to slightly overflow

So if I understand right, ok to drain while up on jack, fill should be level

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Here's what I do.

Loosen lugs nuts on drivers side wheel
Jack up the car at the subframe
Place jack stands at front jack points left and right
Jack up the rear at subframe.
Place jack stands left and right
Remove drivers wheel
Loosen fill plug
Loosen/remove drain plug
Remove fill plug
Replace drain plug/crush washer when done dripping (torque to 29lb/ft)
Replace fill plug/crush washer when fluid comes out of fill hole. (torque to 33lb/ft)
Replace drivers wheel
Lower car
Torque lugs to 80 lb/ft

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
You guys are adding totally unnecessary steps.

Drive the car on ramps(or jack it up and put jack stands under the lower control arms).

Drain fluid, Replace drain bolt.

Remove speed sensor(front of trans), has wires going to it and one 10mm bolt holding it into the trans. Make sure not to lose the bushing that goes between the sensor and the trans housing. The bolt goes through it but it falls when you remove the bolt and it will disappear.

Fill using 3/8" clear tubing. Stand up and hold the bottle above the radiator. Put in 2 quarts or until it starts leaking out.

Replace speed sensor.

Car off ramps/jackstands.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
You guys are adding totally unnecessary steps.

Drive the car on ramps(or jack it up and put jack stands under the lower control arms).

Drain fluid, Replace drain bolt.

Remove speed sensor(front of trans), has wires going to it and one 10mm bolt holding it into the trans. Make sure not to lose the bushing that goes between the sensor and the trans housing. The bolt goes through it but it falls when you remove the bolt and it will disappear.

Fill using 3/8" clear tubing. Stand up and hold the bottle above the radiator. Put in 2 quarts or until it starts leaking out.

Replace speed sensor.

Car off ramps/jackstands.
I've got to try to find this speed sensor.

I did my oil change yesterday on Rhino ramps. MTF change could be done on ramps. I could locate and access both MTF bolts easy. Might be a little dangerous with the MTF shooting out sideways when you remove the drain bolt though.

Does anyone know if you can place a Fumoto quick drain valve on the MTF?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Should I just follow the Maintenance Minder schedule on this? I purchased a used '06 with 71k miles. It has 30% oil life left and shifts smoothly. I'm not sure which MM code will be popping up next though.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Should I just follow the Maintenance Minder schedule on this? I purchased a used '06 with 71k miles. It has 30% oil life left and shifts smoothly. I'm not sure which MM code will be popping up next though.
Change all of the fluids. You don't know the quality or if they have ever been changed.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Manual Transmission Fluid Change (7th Gen I4)

Change all of the fluids. You don't know the quality or if they have ever been changed.
I'm going to Howdy Honda later this afternoon. According to the Carfax report it was serviced there about every 7,000 miles. I want to see what's been done and what may need to be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 80 Posts