Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Should I just follow the Maintenance Minder schedule on this? I purchased a used '06 with 71k miles. It has 30% oil life left and shifts smoothly. I'm not sure which MM code will be popping up next though.
IIRC the mtf is "scheduled" every 60k, but it might be 100k for the first one. That being said, I change mine shortly after I buy a used car and do 30k intervals thereafter.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
THIS^! :thmsup:
I think I'm going to have it changed. I could've sworn the Carfax said it was taken to Howdy Honda regularly. I went by there to get the records and they said all they did was swap out the steering wheel shortly after it was purchased from them.

It did have service records, but I don't remember where from. I may have to pull the Carfax report to easy my curiosity.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
It's always a good idea to change MTF.

Whenever I do it, usually at 30,000MI intervals, I notice smoother shifting afterwards. Shifting may not have been 'problematic' or difficult before, but after new fluid there is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finished changing MT fluid today and haven't noticed much change yet. Too bad the oil got everywhere when draining so its been dripping for hours. What a friggen mess. The oil found its way into holes on the frame.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
I'm doing mine over the weekend and needed to know the washer sizes. Surprisingly it was never posted on here. Good thing I bought extras the last time I ordered, don't need to run to the parts counter.

Drain Plug (14mm) Washer (same size as the engine oil drain crush washer)
Part No. 94109-14000

Fill Plug (20mm) Washer
Part No. 94109-20000

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
I finished changing MT fluid today and haven't noticed much change yet. Too bad the oil got everywhere when draining so its been dripping for hours. What a friggen mess. The oil found its way into holes on the frame.
I just did mine today. Did it once, 30k miles earlier. I learned from the first time after I created a huge mess from the oil shooting out sideways. I loosened the fill bolt but did not remove it. I loosened the drain plug and then slowly turned it by hand until only a little bit of oil was coming out. I held the drain bolt covering the hole for about a minute and then I removed the drain bolt from the area. By keeping the drain bolt there, the oil was not able to shoot out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don' t know if anyone has noticed but there is a level plug that you must unscrew to get the right amount in the transmission. If you do not check it that way you will be overfilling your transmission. Now is overfilling the trans going to hurt it; I don't know. I just like to do things the right way. At least on my 07 Accord I4 MT it has it. I'm pretty sure it is on the rest of them too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don' t know if anyone has noticed but there is a level plug that you must unscrew to get the right amount in the transmission. If you do not check it that way you will be overfilling your transmission. Now is overfilling the trans going to hurt it; I don't know. I just like to do things the right way. At least on my 07 Accord I4 MT it has it. I'm pretty sure it is on the rest of them too.
i think that to check the fuild level, all you have to do is put your finger in the fill plug and seem if it gets wet, as it is stated in the owner's manual. Mine is a 2003 though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 06' Accord EX 5SPD 2.4L (MT). Just rolled over 150k and everything is pretty good since I bought it at 144k. Only I really had to replace were the CV Joints (both), Air Fuel Sensor, Rotors & Brakes (Front), Air Filter. Still have to tackle this VTEC solenoid gasket. I recently did a full Synthetic oil change finally. But I would like to get everyone's opinion on my feeling I'm getting from shifting gears. This is my first MT car so don't bash me lol. When shifting from 4th to 5th it sometimes rejects it. Like it'll slide somewhat in but then push it back out. (When I'm driving like I'm actually going somewhere) it's almost like a notchy feeling if that makes sense. One more thing is that when I try to engage reverse it sometimes locks me out (jiggling it back in forth in neutral usually lets me go into reverse). According to he carfax the last time the transmission was serviced @ a little bit before 60k. So my question is should I do a transmission oil change? And would it help with what I'm feeling in the shifting? I could only imagine what that fluid would look like if hasn't been changed in over 90k miles :/ (60k-150k)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Could someone chime in and tell me if the V6 manual has the transmission and refill process?
With a manual trans. when you do the 1st. d/f you are getting all the old fluid out since they don't have a torque converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry guys...first time researching to perform this procedure. I see plug and bolt used interchangeably and it's a little confusing. Please help me correct my understanding. What I need to know, is exactly where do I pour the new transmission oil into. I have an 03' Accord manual transmission. I understand that there's a drain plug and a fill 'check' plug that's directly up and to the right of it about 6 inches. Now once I completely drain the tranny and screw drain plug back, I have to make sure the car is level and I use the fill 'check' plug as a visual means to know when the tranny is full. The part I'm missing (I apologize cuz I'm not getting it from the posts), is where is this Fill Bolt (not Fill Plug) to pour new fluid? Or am I to understand that the Fill Plug that's viewable from the wheel well where the Drain plug is located, is the same as the Fill Bolt? And if that's the case, it's horizontal, so how would liquid even go 'in'. Now assuming I'm not going crazy and the Fill Bolt is accessible from underneath the hood in the engine compartment area, where is it? Can someone please provide a far and close up picture of this bolt that needs to be unscrewed and have a funnel or tube placed in it to refill the tranny? Or if someone has a picture of the graphic from the manual, that would be helpful also. The picture of Ryan's tube shows half of the picture, but doesn't clearly show the location of the Fill Bolt (not Fill Plug) in relation to other areas of the engine compartment. A video would be perfect....have been unable to find a YouTube video of this exact procedure detailed from Start to Finish on a 7th generation Accord manual transmission. I find that odd. Only Ryan's description above has been very good but still lacking some minor details. Please help! Pics & Videos :-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry guys...first time researching to perform this procedure. I see plug and bolt used interchangeably and it's a little confusing. Please help me correct my understanding. What I need to know, is exactly where do I pour the new transmission oil into. I have an 03' Accord manual transmission. I understand that there's a drain plug and a fill 'check' plug that's directly up and to the right of it about 6 inches. Now once I completely drain the tranny and screw drain plug back, I have to make sure the car is level and I use the fill 'check' plug as a visual means to know when the tranny is full. The part I'm missing (I apologize cuz I'm not getting it from the posts), is where is this Fill Bolt (not Fill Plug) to pour new fluid? Or am I to understand that the Fill Plug that's viewable from the wheel well where the Drain plug is located, is the same as the Fill Bolt? And if that's the case, it's horizontal, so how would liquid even go 'in'. Now assuming I'm not going crazy and the Fill Bolt is accessible from underneath the hood in the engine compartment area, where is it? Can someone please provide a far and close up picture of this bolt that needs to be unscrewed and have a funnel or tube placed in it to refill the tranny? Or if someone has a picture of the graphic from the manual, that would be helpful also. The picture of Ryan's tube shows half of the picture, but doesn't clearly show the location of the Fill Bolt (not Fill Plug) in relation to other areas of the engine compartment. A video would be perfect....have been unable to find a YouTube video of this exact procedure detailed from Start to Finish on a 7th generation Accord manual transmission. I find that odd. Only Ryan's description above has been very good but still lacking some minor details. Please help! Pics & Videos :-D
Sorry...one more thing....My car is a 2.4L, not a V6.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts