Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tons of research I have finally been able to paint my brake calipers. This is not an official DIY, but I can certainly try my best to help anyone with questions. Otherwise, just enjoy.

This was a 2 day project.

About 80% of the total time was prepping/sanding. I used manual wire brushes and an attachment brush for a drill/compressor. The manual ones were just used to get the smaller areas and most of the rust and dirt was removed with the automatic one seen in the video. It cut out a chunk of prep time and I would consider it a necessity in order to prep it properly and thoroughly.

The calipers were painted with black caliper paint from G2 with a brush. There was no masking for the G2 paint. Painted 2 coats in 15 minute increments. There was enough left over for a 3rd coat, but only 2 were applied.

A couple hours after the G2 dried, I applied the decals since the paint was still a little sticky. (In order to help the decals stick even better.)

The next day the adhesive over the stickers was removed with a minor use of a heat gun.

Masked off the entire area with tape and newspaper since the clear coat is a can of spray. Sprayed 2 coats that dried very quickly. Started off white, then as they dried they became transparent.

(I used the clear over the sticker to help it have endurance through time even if the sticker is heat resistant) Lots of salt throughout the winters. Hoping it will help it last just a little bit longer.

Was able to get back on the road within an hour of the clear and it looks great! Still curing for a couple days now, hopefully it doesn't rain.

Here is a video I put together to help you see what I did. Enjoy and I added some pics here as well. Thanks!

*Special thanks to my Uncle and his expertise!*

:wave::wave: :wave: :wave::wave:
:wave: :wave: :wave::wave::wave:

3.jpg
^Untouched and rusty!

9.jpg
^Almost done with first coat of G2.

12.jpg
^Just sprayed clear coat...still a little white. Not dry yet.

15.jpg
^Wheels back on, more dry, but not completely

·
Registered
118 Posts
isn't the G2 the brush on type?

I want to paint mine as well but VTH did not have the color I desired...only G2.

Furthermore wouldn't be easier and cleaner if I were to take the calipers off?

I know that I would have to drain my brake fluid but I will still have to do that as I am due but I have ever taken them off so I fear of causing problems or complications with air bubbles in the system :dunno:

advice?

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
Nice job! This is def a best bang for your buck for looks mod. And its almost impossible to f*ck up. lol

I half assed the paint on mine and they still look great! Even used what was left over in the can to coat the control arm. Its amazing the difference that a little black paint can make instead of rusted metal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
isn't the G2 the brush on type?

I want to paint mine as well but VTH did not have the color I desired...only G2.

Furthermore wouldn't be easier and cleaner if I were to take the calipers off?

I know that I would have to drain my brake fluid but I will still have to do that as I am due but I have ever taken them off so I fear of causing problems or complications with air bubbles in the system :dunno:

advice?
Yes, G2 is the brush on type. I originally thought spraying would be easier, but I used the brush it came with and left them on as you see and they turned out great. Plus keep in mind you don't technically have to paint the entire thing, just where people will see. I painted pretty far back though.

I would say it would be much harder to remove them. I've known fewer people to take them off. Easier with brush I would say. Only reason I used VHT was for the top clearcoat to help protect the sticker, which I masked off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

Almost a year with the painted calipers and so far so good! We had a light winter here in Ohio, but still, all stickers fully intact and the paint still looks good! :thmsup:

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but I never look at someones brakes when looking at their car. :thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
2,566 Posts
G2 is definitely the best type. I've had mine painted almost 2 years now and they still look great.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it is just me, but I never look at someones brakes when looking at their car. :thumbsup:
Depends...I mean my calipers were sort of rusty which attracted unwanted attention. I figured if I were to attract attention, I'd rather it be because something looks good, not bad. Plus it was fun and I can say that I did it. I wish I had more showy rims though. :naughty:

·
Professional Bum
41 Posts
Why black? Maybe Orange would draw more attention to your hard work. BTW, they look nice.

-ea6bflyr ;)

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,275 Posts
The reason for black is they make NO statement which is what some people want. BRAKE (notice the spelling) calipers get painted black for one reason, the stock calipers are ugly and look like unfinished metal. They ARE VERY VISIBLE when rolling. Especailly if oyu are putting on new wheels that open up the wheel area with spokes...the brake caliper screams ugly at you. The next time you are sitting at a light, first in line and the road to the right gets the green and the car cuts across your front turning left, look at the caliper and you'll see what I mean. Much better in black - btw, no need for lots of fancy coatings here - no need to tape everything off, just use a foam brush and rustoleum satin black bar-b que paint for $8.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
And only one other thing uglier than bare metal, unfinished caliper...

Rusty unfinished caliper. I see it all the time here in WNY. People get wheels for their 5-6 year old car and the car still looks nice, wheels are nice, then the eyesore of the rusty caliper just screams at you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Black can still get attention...I just drive a (moreless) stock 4 door sedan...why would someone put red (performance) calipers on a sedan. No, just no.

·
Shiny.
202 Posts
I need to replace my calipers, so do I even need to bother with the all of the wire brushing and sanding? Really the only problem I'd have with painting mine is that I have no garage or shed to store anything in, so I'm SOL when it comes to mods like this.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to replace my calipers, so do I even need to bother with the all of the wire brushing and sanding? Really the only problem I'd have with painting mine is that I have no garage or shed to store anything in, so I'm SOL when it comes to mods like this.
You need to replace your calipers? Or brakes? If calipers, when you get the new ones, they still need to be sanded and cleaned, just not as much since they wont have rust like mine did.

·
Shiny.
202 Posts
Just the calipers. One is seized (surprise, surprise) so I might as well just do the other one as well.

Sounds like I may need to invest in some power tools at some point though, lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts