Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After I replaced my alternator, my power steering started moaning and groaning especially when cold. I figured that it was because I was manhandling the power steering pump to get the belt back on. So I did some research and found the HondaTSB 07-086. I did the job which took all of 5 minutes, and the power steering pump finally shut the hell up. Cost is around $5.00 for the parts.

The TSB is for all 7th Generation V6 Accords

Parts and Tools Needed.
1. Power Steering Inlet Joint O-ring (orange): P/N 91345-RDA-A01, H/C 8811010
2. Honda Genuine Power Steering Fluid: P/N 08206-9002, H/C 3747284
3. Shop Towel
4. 10mm wrench

Here is a link to the PDF of the actual TSB:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCEQFjAB&url=http://www.honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33598&d=1240155507&rct=j&q=honda tsb 07-086&ei=cu9NTbraHZT6swPeoMWjCg&usg=AFQjCNHEjgwpl0n_u3YJ9fT4Q62Yp2xAhw&sig2=TqEWH8UYtKUVDehvCeRc-Q

The O Ring

The PS Fluid

The inlet joint bolt

1. Place Shop Towel Under Inlet Joint Bolt

2. Use 10mm wrench to remove bolt and joint

3. Remove old O Ring

4. Install new O Ring to inlet hose coupler.

5. Reinstall joint coupler and bolt.

6. Check PS fluid and add if needed

7. Remove shop towel, start engine, check for leaks, turn steering wheel lock to lock to listen for groaning

8. Turn off engine and check PS fluid one last time

·
The taste of Vtec!
941 Posts
Nice write up! Hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome, great forum and glad I researched the power steering problem before going to the dealership. My 2005 LX, V6 has 140,000 miles and this site will be very helpful to me in the future.

·
C1 909
198 Posts
good write up, sadly im going to pay $250 bucks for new everything , ps pumps , o ring etc... i just have no time to do it myself!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, thanks for a great write up with the pics!! I'm a single mom and was trying to save myself the $$ just before the Holidays. I used the DIY instructions. The job was easy...5 minutes, plain old 10mm wrench (but I have small hands)...topped off the PS fluid.

O-Ring was 79 cents, PS fluid was $5.

I followed the directions, but the noise is still there :(

It was worth a shot, but I think I'm in for a trip to the dealer.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts
I did this about two weeks ago. Your old o-ring looks a little deformed, just like mine did. The noise was really loud, so I was wondering if the o-ring alone would fix it. If you hold the hose up, you probably don't need to add fluid. I siphoned as much fluid out of the resevior as I could, then replaced it with new Honda fluid. Two weeks, and it's still silent. The new (orange) o-ring looks a little thicker than the old one, but the old one was so deformed it's hard to say. The job was so easy, I decided to change my spark plugs, even though I only had 82k miles. The old plugs could have gone to 100k miles easy.

Reactions: taskrov

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,577 Posts
Nice write up. Honda replaced my o-ring along with other work that needed to be done. They wanted to replace the pump, I told them no way, do the o-ring first. Has been silent for about a year now.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts

3. Remove old O Ring

I was looking at the pictures (great pics BTW), and I noticed there is a lot of gunk (which I assume is power steering fluid) all over the pump. You might want to clean that up. I don't think my fluid leaked out like that, but I'll have to check it. I like to keep my engine as clean as possible, so I can quickly see when a leak develops.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FYI, the part numbers are wrong on this. The P/N listed for the O-Ring is actually the power steering fluid, the O-Ring is 91345-RDA-A01. I found this out when I got half way through this DIY and discovered my Honda parts department gave me a 14mm ring when this calls for a 13mm ring.

·
06 Accord EX V6
27 Posts
Thank You

I did this o ring TSB yesterday. I can't beleive a little o ring can cause so much noise. My cold morning startups are now pleasent. Thanks for the write up. Took 5 minutes and thats with taking my time. :thmsup:

·
Car Nut
21 Posts
Replaced this on mine after a few weeks of horrid groaning noises when cold. Completely silent now....great thread!!:banana:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, new member here. Haven't figured out the signature thing yet (but I will), but I have a 2006 I4 5sp (LX-SE) sedan with ~60000 miles. I'm experiencing exactly what everyone has been describing, so I am wondering if other 4cyl owners out there have done the the O-ring fix and if it worked. I know some of the comments were from 4cyl folks (more so on the other thread on this subject), but it wasn't actually clear if they had done this fix on their own cars. Is anyone aware of a similar TSB for I4 engines?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope to return the favor at some point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, new member here. Haven't figured out the signature thing yet (but I will), but I have a 2006 I4 5sp (LX-SE) sedan with ~60000 miles. I'm experiencing exactly what everyone has been describing, so I am wondering if other 4cyl owners out there have done the the O-ring fix and if it worked. I know some of the comments were from 4cyl folks (more so on the other thread on this subject), but it wasn't actually clear if they had done this fix on their own cars. Is anyone aware of a similar TSB for I4 engines?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope to return the favor at some point.
It works on the 4cyl!!!! Did the fix on mine nad the noise went totally! its all silent now.
The new O-ring was tighter and fit snugly while the old one was loose. Its just the same process, just follow the bigger pipe that leaves from the PS resevoir, loose the nut where it ends and follow the pics already posted. Hope it works for you.

·
Accordmex
7 Posts
2008 Honda Accord EX V4. I have the exact same problem Power Steering whinning only when very cold. The TSB and service department indicate the problem is only for the V6. I called the parts dept and the O'ring is the same for both V4 and V6. Anyone know if V4 units are also affected even though TSB says V6 only?

Any info appreciated.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts