Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!

I recently did some research on this recurring problem as it got cold this past weekend. A quick google search led me to here, where I found everyone who had the same issue I had.

After performing this quick-fix and topping my fluid off, it's been whisper-quiet since. I applaud the original poster for providing this post with detailed step-by-step, since I normally may as well be staring into a human brain when I look under the hood.

Sorry if this classifies as a necro-thread, but I felt it necessary to make sure anyone else with this problem will be able to easily fix it themselves, as it can easily sound like you need to replace the entire unit.

Best wishes!

·
14 Lexus ES350
137 Posts
Just did this on my i4 2008 accord.
Parts are the same. Its much easier on i4 because the bolt is literally on top of the power steering pump. Took me 30 seconds to do it.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts
I believe there is also an o-ring that connects between the actual PS reservoir and that hose that connects to the pump. Try replacing that end of the hose as well?

On the subject of hoses, where exactly does that second hose run to? I have pictures of mine.

I understand this hose runs up into the PS pump...

But where does this hose go? :dunno:

I follow it down to the bottom in this pic. It is the middle hose between the two big ones. Any idea?
The bottom hose takes the fluid from the reservoir to the pump, and the pump sends it to the power steering rack, so I assume the top hose (on the reservoir is bringing the fluid back from the steering rack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power steering groans on cold days

Hi all. I purchased my 2006 Accord V6 2 years ago & was wondering what caused the groaning noise on my car on cold mornings which would then go away if the engine warmed up or I restarted my car. Really happy I found these posts after hearing about the recall. I'm @ the dealer now. My car is on the recall list. Tech told me if after inspection the hose didn't need to be changed out it would be$105 for inspection & they would check the pump etc.

I told them if not the hose, then it is the O-ring & if they won't fix for free (I have an extended warranty) then I want the part & the fluid. & will change myself. I told them I researched on Internet & know what is the cause. My steering fluid lines has supposedly been flushed a year ago under my 60k check up & noise persisted. So thank you for all your info. I might be a girl but I've changed my radiator hose on my '91 Civic hatchback (loved that car!), so this seems like an easy fix I can do myself if they don't fix for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome, Thank you

I don't do many repairs on my own car, but this was simple and the instructions were fantastic. Spent less than $20 to fix what would've been hundreds.

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
After listening to the groaning all last winter, and it's actually getting cold here again; so looked for this answer. $4 for ring and fluid shipped. 5 minute fix. Thanks for the pix Vaskevi.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Finished this fix this evening. Will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it helped. My car spent 3 winters in NYC with no problems. The whining started this winter in Texas/Louisiana. Strange! Thank you for this info on TSB.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Started my car this morning in cold weather (around 40 degrees). Whining disappeared. Once again thanks for this TSB.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
After listening to the groaning all last winter, and it's actually getting cold here again; so looked for this answer. $4 for ring and fluid shipped. 5 minute fix. Thanks for the pix Vaskevi.

Started my car this morning in cold weather (around 40 degrees). Whining disappeared. Once again thanks for this TSB.
No problemo!

·
Registered
737 Posts
It is much cheaper to buy it from your local dealer than from an online parts dealer for small things like this O-ring and PS fluid. That's what I did. It's better to use online parts dealers when you need something major.

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
It is much cheaper to buy it from your local dealer than from an online parts dealer for small things like this O-ring and PS fluid. That's what I did. It's better to use online parts dealers when you need something major.
This is NOT accurate. My local stealership sells at or above MSRP for just about everything, though they do include a free crusher washer when you buy an oil filter at MSRP, and then there is sales tax. Ordering from someplace like Curry Acura is not only less (sometimes much less) than MSRP, but shipping is free and there is not tax to 49 other states.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts
if your leak is coming anywhere from the power steering pump hose, all 2003-2007 v6's were recalled for that problem and they'll fix it for free. http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6912-en
The recalled hose, in the link you posted, is a different hose. The leaky, noisy o-ring in this DIY is the "inlet" hose, going from the power steering fluid reservoir, to the bottom of the power steering pump. The recalled hose, is the high pressure hose, going from the rear top of the power steering pump, to the rack behind the engine. The recall hose will cost you nothing (safety recall the dealership has to do free of charge). The inlet hose o-ring will cost you the price of the o-ring, plus tax and time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cars been whining for a couple of weeks, found this thread last week. Bought the part and fluid. Got it done today. No more whine. Great write-up and pics made it easy.

Thanks vasekvi,

Rich

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
This is NOT accurate. My local stealership sells at or above MSRP for just about everything, though they do include a free crusher washer when you buy an oil filter at MSRP, and then there is sales tax. Ordering from someplace like Curry Acura is not only less (sometimes much less) than MSRP, but shipping is free and there is not tax to 49 other states.
You have some really bad dealerships there. I went to my local dealer to get the new red O ring for this and they just gave it to me. They said it's very common.

Most dealerships have discounts for enthusiasts as well. I made friends with the sales manager, and my oil filters are $5 a piece, and discounts on other parts/fluids as well.

After I did this the P/S was much quieter, the black O ring was pretty brittle.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts