Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DA.net has been an inspiration to me since I bought my new Accord. I really enjoyed and appreciated the TSX rear sway bar swap DIY put up by xxDaJackalxx. So, I give him all of the credit for the information provided.

I took his DIY and made a how-to video when I did my rear sway swap this morning. Please check it out here and give me some feedback!

Removing the rear sway bar after it is disconnected and inserting the new sway bar is by far the toughest part of the DIY. I wound up having to take a tire off and disconnecting part of the exhaust. There are probably easier ways, but I was never very good at puzzles.:dunno: If you have a better way, post it up!

--Hittman--

·
Banned
1,419 Posts
Very nice video. Impressed on how professional it came out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
nice post. Thanks for your hard work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
good job! :thmsup:

Starting to see alot of stuff on youtube. Intakes, exhaust for both v6/i4, springs/coilovers and radiator grilles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Simple and clear video....shot well and easy to understand.

You've made a really useful video to review prior to tackling the job.

:thmsup:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is the ride any stiffer after installing the TSX bar?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is the ride any stiffer after installing the TSX bar?
Yes it is, and it is very noticeable. I think it's one of the best investments at only $70.

BTW, that removing bar and inserting new one is indeed the hardest part. Jackal mentioned this and it is the reason why I asked a coworker to help with the labor part as well as borrowing his floor jack. Did you try to remove that bar and insert the new one yourself?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes it is, and it is very noticeable. I think it's one of the best investments at only $70.
Thanks for the reply JK. Actually what I meant was do you lose anything in terms of ride comfort, particularly at lower speeds? Like when you're going over bumps in the road etc.?

Are there any cons that you have experienced from installing the bar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
In the video you are shown with a floor jack, yet you point out in the video to place the jack at the slotted spot where the oem jack goes. Did you use the floor jack at that spot? I always thought a floor jack would bend that lip that the oem jack fits over.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks for the reply JK. Actually what I meant was do you lose anything in terms of ride comfort, particularly at lower speeds? Like when you're going over bumps in the road etc.?

Are there any cons that you have experienced from installing the bar?

Thanks!
No cons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great Video! I just got my R.S.B. in the mail this week :banana: and I can't wait to install it!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of questions asked.. I'll try to answer them:

Q) In the video you are shown with a floor jack, yet you point out in the video to place the jack at the slotted spot where the oem jack goes. Did you use the floor jack at that spot? I always thought a floor jack would bend that lip that the oem jack fits over.
A) I used the floor jack on the slotted spot. That metal lip is pretty tough - it didn't bend at all. Floor jacks were placed in front of that spot. I should note that my floor jack has a nice rubber pad in the lifting cup.

Q) Are there any cons that you have experienced from installing the bar?
A) jkcheng122 nailed it...:thmsup: I haven't experienced any cons, either. The rear end hugs the ground around corners. It wasn't bad before (I had the EX-L, 15mm version). I bet the upgrade from 13mm to 17mm would make a huge difference (LX?).

Q) Did you try to remove that bar and insert the new one yourself? A) Yep, this was a solo job. I might not have had to disconnect the driver's side muffler if I had a second set of eyes/hands... but I made due. I really wanted to throw a Christian Bale tantrum while making the video, but I would've had to blow up at myself. The neighbors would think I'm nuts!

Q) Can you do this on a sedan?
A) I am fairly certain that you can, but I'm not positive. Search DA and see if anyone has posted doing this on a sedan. I want to say that Acura TSXs are all sedans, so I don't think you'd have trouble with a Accord sedan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did this swap to my father's 08 Accord EX I4 sedan. I did it using a lift and it went on easy, didn't need to remove a tire or the exhaust for it to fit. Ride is a bit stiffer but now the stiffness in the rear more closely matches the stiffness at the front so it feels more balanced. Before you could feel the stiffness in the front and the rear felt kind of floaty, even when empty. I got the bar and bushings shipped for $85. I used some synthetic grease in the bushings so hopefully they won't bind or wear as much. With the stock 26.5 mm front sway bar, the car has just a touch of oversteer instead of the understeer it had previously. I would not go with any larger of a rear bar unless the car were lowered and/or the front sway bar was enlarged and/or improved with greaseable urethane body mounts.

Steady state cornering is similar though a bit more planted and oversteers at the limit (it depends on how you drive of course)

Quick transitions are where the real rewards are with this swap. I wish the car had adjustable struts on it so it could really be dialed in, but this mod is a great bang for the buck modification.

The steering feels a tad heavier, which is nice, especially at higher speeds. The car lacks an on-center feel and while this doesn't change the alignment, with the heavier steering its less nervous at speed. I'll add an underdrive power steering pulley at some point to aide this further.

Assuming the rest of the chassis setup is similar between the Accord EX and TSX (spring rates, strut dampening) the rear sway bar swap will take the skidpad from .81 to .84. For less than $100, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don't see why not. I don't know how much effect it'd have on cars already lowered though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't see why not. I don't know how much effect it'd have on cars already lowered though.
Mattchatwin said that in his opinion it "completed" the affect of the HFP suspension.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mattchatwin said that in his opinion it "completed" the affect of the HFP suspension.
Good to hear, I'm looking to get the HFP suspension some time next year.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think I'm sold...I'm gonna order the bar tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts