Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember test driving an LX 6MT before I bought my sport and it had a serious case of rev hang. I'm just wondering if that was just the car I drove or are other members experiencing it.

·
'14 Coupe EX-L V6 6MT
14 Posts
My test drive in a 2014 EX-L Coupe V6 6 speed manual had it. At the time, I did not know about the Eco mode and believe that it was engaged for the test drive. I also did not know the throttle was drive by wire and told the salesman I thought the throttle cable was sticking..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Most stick shift cars have it built in for emission control. In either 07 or 08 stick civics were recalled because they would hold the revs too long

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I have it, just come off the gas a tad sooner when you shift, then you don't get it.

Jay

·
Registered
209 Posts
maybe it happens in econ mode only. Ive never noticed any hang. I never have the econ mode enabled.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I do not notice it at all. I have noticed it in other cars though. Maybe I am just used to it by now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I remember test driving an LX 6MT before I bought my sport and it had a serious case of rev hang. I'm just wondering if that was just the car I drove or are other members experiencing it.
It's very noticeable on the V6 MT I have and can make for jerky shifts on my end since I'm always trying to time the clutch engagement and forget about the rev hang. I've noticed the rev hang & the jerkiness is less pronounced in higher gears i.e 4th and up for me at least.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
My only problem when I first got my EX was that I wouldn't get off the accelerator fast enough and I'd get some unwanted revs when shifting gears. I attributed this to the sensitivity of the drive-by-wire throttle and with time, it has become less of a problem.

As far as rev hang, if it exists, it is not such that it affects shifting in anyway. I usually find that when my shifting isn't smooth, it's my fault, not the car's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have noticed some rev hang on my 6m sport, but nothing that I haven't been able to adjust to. Not really sure if it's due to the DBW or maybe a heavy flywheel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't noticed it in mine. The only car that i've really seen this as being "bad" is actually the new Civic SI.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have it, just come off the gas a tad sooner when you shift, then you don't get it. Jay
This ^ is the "solution." Once you developed the muscle memory to get out of the throttle before shoving in the clutch, as Jay said, "you don't get [rev hang]." As in none.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This ^ is the "solution." Once you developed the muscle memory to get out of the throttle before shoving in the clutch, as Jay said, "you don't get [rev hang]." As in none.
This must be why so many of are saying we dont notice it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How does "rev hang" manifest itself when you are driving? I get over-revving some times when I am shifting in 1st and 2nd, but I figured that was my control problem, nothing the car was doing.

·
'14 Coupe EX-L V6 6MT
14 Posts
A mechanical linkage throttle will snap shut when you take your foot off the gas, immediately cutting all power to the engine. This process has a tendency to waste fuel. The Accord uses electrical signals to measure how you depress and release the gas pedal and I suspect it has been programmed not to "snap shut". The rpms "hang" just momentarily when you release the gas pedal resulting in what I believe is a cleaner, more thorough fuel burn. Alternate theories or explanations would be much appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts