Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 6 speed 2013 Accord EX with about 6,000 miles. When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear at "normal" RPMS (~3000), the entry to 2nd is rougher than any other gear. I wouldn't necessarily call it "grinding" but it's definitely not as effortless as switching to any other gear.

I've read that this might be a "normal" Honda thing. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or if this is something I should take to the dealer. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What do you mean by rougher? My sport gets a little high rev in between shifting from 1st-3rd gears, which is normal.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
1,335 Posts
Change the trans fluid to compatible Red Line Synchromesh. It did wonders when i had my 6mt.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had a rough shift to second in my Miata and changing to the Fuchs manufactured Ford XT-M5-QS transmission fluid did wonders.

No issues in my Accord. First can be a little notchy at times, but I don't really notice it anymore.

If it is severe have the dealer look at it. There may be some issues.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Change the trans fluid to compatible Red Line Synchromesh. It did wonders when i had my 6mt.
I must try this. Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MT Fluid Differences

Does anyone really believe that, if a certain MT fluid provided a smoother, better shifting experience, Honda wouldn't realize that fact and install it as the factory fill? Honda has been building manual transmissions for decades, and I'm sure they would not specify an inferior fluid just to save a few cents per vehicle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone really believe that, if a certain MT fluid provided a smoother, better shifting experience, Honda wouldn't realize that fact and install it as the factory fill? Honda has been building manual transmissions for decades, and I'm sure they would not specify an inferior fluid just to save a few cents per vehicle.
Yes, I do.

This is the same company that installed the clutch from the EX Civic on the SI Civic. And then they wondered why they were on their 4th generation of clutches....

Fluids make a huge difference. I'm considering switching mine, as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It definitely takes more effort to go into second gear for me also.
I will be trying the redline synchromesh idea when I'm able to get my hands on some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts