Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a VCM Tuner II needed with these J35Y1 V6? I heard they improved VCM compared to the J35Z2 in my 8th gen accord? Do you notice any mpg change? I'm loving the 28mpg compared to the 10 in my 2012 Accord but will protect my engine if needed

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
"Needed" is a bit of a blanket statement. It's really up to you at this point. VCM-3 is supposedly better but it is still conceptually flawed and it doesn't really gain you much so I always planned to disable any VCM-3 vehicle I purchased.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Needed" is a bit of a blanket statement. It's really up to you at this point. VCM-3 is supposedly better but it is still conceptually flawed and it doesn't really gain you much so I always planned to disable any VCM-3 vehicle I purchased.
Will I lose significant mpg? I plan to keep this for a long time, so I want it to last.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, no ifs ands or Butts. Get it and forget the shuddering and decrease hunting for gears.
Both my 8.5th gen accord and this don't shake when VCM goes on or off

Reactions: meowcat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just either do not notice or your engine mounts are damn good.
Both must be good then. Both drive smooth. I disabled VCM on the 8th gen already but that was just a prolong the engine since I don't think it burns any oil at 182,000 mi. Before buying this car I drove a different 2015 from CarMax that seem to have a bunch of problems and it did seem like it vibrated when it was switching when it was switching

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Will I lose significant mpg? I plan to keep this for a long time, so I want it to last.
Unlikely. I have never heard of significant MPG loss purely from disabling VCM. That's why I say you have nothing to lose.

cvt - NOT
Is a VCM Tuner II needed with these J35Y1 V6? I heard they improved VCM compared to the J35Z2 in my 8th gen accord? Do you notice any mpg change? I'm loving the 28mpg compared to the 10 in my 2012 Accord but will protect my engine if needed
The better option is to use the K-Tuner to disable the VCM.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
The better option is to use the K-Tuner to disable the VCM.
Not if you don't plan on using it for anything else.

Not worth investing in KTuner just purely for this.

8th Gen Believer
I have the same car. I used S-VCM, which lasted about two years. The guy who builds them in Canada sent a no-cost replacement. The only possible MPG difference would be on road trips which I don't do. City mileage is about the same. It did reduce oil consuption, which wasn't bad, but now it's noticeably better. Car has 162k miles.

Reactions: WiiMaster

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same car. I used S-VCM, which lasted about two years. The guy who builds them in Canada sent a no-cost replacement. The only possible MPG difference would be on road trips which I don't do. City mileage is about the same. It did reduce oil consuption, which wasn't bad, but now it's noticeably better. Car has 162k miles.
I'd stick to VCM Tuner II to not worry about it breaking, but I'm mainly wondering with the 2013+ J35Y1 as it has a newer version of VCM compared to our 8th gen accords

Reactions: WiiMaster

Registered
2013 Accord Touring V6 Sedan
I own both an '09 and a '13, the VCM is definitely improved dramatically but I still tuned it out on my '13 just cause I feel like there's only benefits to it. After disabling it I never found any difference in mileage whatsoever. I've still made as high as 42mpg avg on multiple occasions without it.
In my opinion they implemented it more as an emissions device than a fuel mileage device.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
In my opinion they implemented it more as an emissions device than a fuel mileage device.
Really it was 100% intended to be a fuel mileage thing. But they don't care how it performs under actual driving conditions, they only care that it does good enough on the EPA mileage tests, which are controlled. That's why the MPG ratings are different between the VCM and non-VCM models.

Registered
Unlikely. I have never heard of significant MPG loss purely from disabling VCM. That's why I say you have nothing to lose.
Well that really depends on how the OP drives the car. I know in my case, VCM makes a massive difference in my highway mileage. But then again, 90% of my driving is all highway, and on the highway, VCM is huge. If your driving is mostly city, you'll see very little difference. 67,000 miles in, I'm still breaking MPG records in my car.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Well that really depends on how the OP drives the car. I know in my case, VCM makes a massive difference in my highway mileage. But then again, 90% of my driving is all highway, and on the highway, VCM is huge. If your driving is mostly city, you'll see very little difference. 67,000 miles in, I'm still breaking MPG records in my car.
And even that distribution doesn't really say much. I know people who got better highway MPG than with VCM active because it was spending more time switching between the modes than just staying in one, which was counterproductive.

I know I personally got better highway mileage than the EPA rating for the highway on a 250 mile almost entirely highway trip. I never calculated it before disabling, so I only have the rating as a baseline.

Registered
And even that distribution doesn't really say much. I know people who got better highway MPG than with VCM active because it was spending more time switching between the modes than just staying in one, which was counterproductive.

I know I personally got better highway mileage than the EPA rating for the highway on a 250 mile almost entirely highway trip. I never calculated it before disabling, so I only have the rating as a baseline.
Although VCM makes a huge difference (for me), what makes an even bigger difference is how the car is driven by the driver. I believe that was my first sentence in my post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts