Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, do you guys clean your throttle body every once in a while? Or do you even need to? I looking at my 4 cylinder engine.... and it is pain in the ass to take all those hose out just to get to it.

I got only 3000 km in the car, not going to clean it now... I just wondering...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just wondering, do you guys clean your throttle body every once in a while? Or do you even need to? I looking at my 4 cylinder engine.... and it is pain in the ass to take all those hose out just to get to it.

I got only 3000 km in the car, not going to clean it now... I just wondering...
No need. No offense intended but if you're asking a question like that please don't work on your own car.

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
The only time I had to clean a throttle body was on a car (97 Maxima) with over 200,000 miles. And even then it was not very dirty.

You do not need to clean it for a long time.

Don't forget to refill your headlight fluid though.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why would you want to clean it? How would you know when it's dirty?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i agree the only time i cleaned my TB was either when i had my intake off (97 trans am) or when i replaced my plenum intake gasket (99 chrysler 300M /c 140k miles).

Now with the Chrysler it was extremely dirty and the only thing it helped was the throttle response by very little because the springs and shaft the butterfly is attached to was caked with deposit and by cleaning it it allowed for easier smoother movement, but again thats with high mileage car

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are lot of videos showing people cleaning there throttle body on youtube. They say it improve your car idles....

They also sell this Throttle Body Clearner.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...0781P/CRC+Throttle+Body+Cleaner.jsp?locale=en

The reason I ask, is on my old Acura EL. Car start to stall when I put in reverse. The dealer tell me to clean the throttle body,

Anyway, I not plan to do this anytime soon. Or maybe only when I start getting problem.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It improves the idle if something is dirty, clogged, broken etc. Cleaning the TB on a brand new car, or even one with less than 100kmi is useless.

·
Super Moderator
3,564 Posts
Guys if you have nothing to add to the topic it's best just not to respond. That is what causes argument and eventual closing of threads.

As for why clean the throttle body? Over time there will be carbon build up which can lead to a sticky butterfly in the throttle body.

When I had my V6 I had to do it twice at about 60K mile intervals. the check engine light came on both times but I forgot the code.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Guys if you have nothing to add to the topic it's best just not to respond. That is what causes argument and eventual closing of threads.

As for why clean the throttle body? Over time there will be carbon build up which can lead to a sticky butterfly in the throttle body.

When I had my V6 I had to do it twice at about 60K mile intervals. the check engine light came on both times but I forgot the code.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have got to be kidding. This is one of easier maintenance tricks. If getting to the TB is a pain in the ass, then you shouldn't open the hood, ever.

Having said that, I think cleaning TB is overrated. Wait until the car is 10 years old.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have got to be kidding. This is one of easier maintenance tricks. If getting to the TB is a pain in the ass, then you shouldn't open the hood, ever.

Having said that, I think cleaning TB is overrated. Wait until the car is 10 years old.
Compare to my previous car, the Acura EL, this is pain in the ass. On my EL, I just take out the air filter, and the throttle body is right under there. No hose or wires to disconnect.

Another thing, this car is drive by wire. I had heard you can't force the throttle body open with your hand. Because that will screw up the calibration to your onboard computer. You need another person in the car to push the pedal down to open and clean it; while your key in the on position without starting your engine.

And yes, thank you for all the input(s). As I stated, I was just asking a general question... I do not plan to clean my throttle body anytime soon.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Compare to my previous car, the Acura EL, this is pain in the ass. On my EL, I just take out the air filter, and the throttle body is right under there. No hose or wires to disconnect.

Another thing, this car is drive by wire. I had heard you can't force the throttle body open with your hand. Because that will screw up the calibration to your onboard computer. You need another person in the car to push the pedal down to open and clean it; while your key in the on position without starting your engine.

And yes, thank you for all the input(s). As I stated, I was just asking a general question... I do not plan to clean my throttle body anytime soon.
SeaFoam makes a foger to do this when car is warmed up and then running. It will send out a cloud of smoke like you can not imagine. As I have no horse in the race I don't care what others say on the topic cleaning TB is a good idea. And you not only clean those but piston tops and to some extent valve seats. If you are having a throttle issue then it would be a good place to look. Also any pre ignition could be carbon on the piston tops.

I would think all of this would be miles or time on a car and not needed in the fist 20-30K.

Taking the intake hose off and spraying it while running is a a very easy process. Again the smoke that comes out will astound you. The worst part would be the oil change you need to do after but planning would make that go away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.