Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 accord coupe thats lowered on D2 springs which offer a 2in drop in the front and 1.8in in the rear. Do I have to have a camber kit with this drop? It doesn't seem like I have a lot of camber, but I do have just a little in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man

▶ ▶ ▶ ▶ http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...overs-hfp-suspension-springs-camber-kits.html

<< Will I need a camber kit? >>

A camber kit is not really "needed" as long as you get a good alignment. Make sure toe is set as close to 0 as possible and you'll usually be okay since a bad toe setting will eat through tires the quickest. However, it is recommended that you purchase either a 1-arm kit, or a 2-arm or 3-arm kit when lowering 1" or more if you want to keep toe and camber settings within manufacturer specifications and to maximize tire tread life.

A 1 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber only.

A 2 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber and 1 arm for the adjustment of toe.

A 3 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber, 1 arm for the adjustment of toe, and 1 arm for the adjustment of set back.

Lowering a car can and will throw off your toe and camber settings. The lower the height, the more those settings can change. A camber and toe kit will allow you to get that toe and camber setting back to within factory specs. If a camber and toe kit is not used, your rear tires can wear unevenly (more inside tread wear vs wear evenly across the width of the tire tread) and they might even wear out slightly faster than without a camber and toe kit.

If you decide you want a camber kit, a 1-arm rear camber kit will be fine if the car is lowered about 1” - 1.5" (like with springs). If you plan to lower the car more than 1.5”, you'll want the 3-arm rear camber kit. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40663 (about 3pc kit)

Camber wear with a corrected toe setting:

Tire wear from an incorrect toe setting:

Camber wear

·
Registered
755 Posts
You don't "need " to have a camber kit. But you will run thru tires faster. A camber kit for the front isn't needed unless you are real low. I'm lowered about 3-3 1/2 inches front and rear and my camber upfront is within stock spec at -.08 degrees. I am running an spc camber kit in the rear and I am at -1.0 degrees only because I wanted to maintain a bit of negative. It's up to you but I would imagine you are at about -2.0 degrees in the rear which really isn't a whole lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will tire rotation help and should I do an alignment in a week or so since I have had the springs installed for a couple days.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Will tire rotation help and should I do an alignment in a week or so since I have had the springs installed for a couple days.
Rotation Will help to a point. It won't stop the camber wear but might get you a bit longer life on the 4 tires overall. I would wait a couple weeks to let the springs settle fully before an alignment. You could probably get away with just the 1 piece spc camber arm if money is tight, since you aren't that low.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bring it in for an alignment will they be able to bring the toe back to spec without a camber kit? Also this is what the camber looks like in the rear.

Attachments

·
All my wats
90 Posts
Lowered 2" with stock struts? You have more to be worried about than camber in back.

Mine is about the same height as yours, but my rear is wayyyyyyyy out of whack :nerd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowered 2" with stock struts? You have more to be worried about than camber in back.

Mine is about the same height as yours, but my rear is wayyyyyyyy out of whack :nerd

Yeah I am lowered on stock struts, and I know the risk of it. Plan on buying coilovers or new aftermarket struts if they blow. Had great longitivity with lowering springs on stock struts on other cars.

Do you have a camber kit?

·
All my wats
90 Posts
Yeah I am lowered on stock struts, and I know the risk of it. Plan on buying coilovers or new aftermarket struts if they blow. Had great longitivity with lowering springs on stock struts on other cars.

Do you have a camber kit?
Isn't the ride really bouncy, though? I mean, if they last 50k, that's about average for suspension, but I'd want to replace the struts before then.

I have a 3-arm JPower kit sitting next to me, waiting to be installed. For the extra $60 or whatever it was, it made more sense to get the full kit with 3 degrees of adjustment rather than the 1-arm kit that only has 1 degree of adjustment. Better to "waste" $60 and have too much adjustibility than not have enough and waste a $300+ pair of tires :smile

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't the ride really bouncy, though? I mean, if they last 50k, that's about average for suspension, but I'd want to replace the struts before then.

I have a 3-arm JPower kit sitting next to me, waiting to be installed. For the extra $60 or whatever it was, it made more sense to get the full kit with 3 degrees of adjustment rather than the 1-arm kit that only has 1 degree of adjustment. Better to "waste" $60 and have too much adjustibility than not have enough and waste a $300+ pair of tires :smile
Believe it or not, the ride quality is not bouncy. It feels just like stock but you do feel alot of bumps and such on the road which is expected when lowered.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,280 Posts
the best!

That is the hottest looking gen 8 I've seen. It's not overly flashy, just clean and mean. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts