Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first car I've had with a sunroof and I was wondering if it's a good idea to open it on a regular basis to keep things lubricated, gears rolling, parts moving, etc. I found this advice on another forum but I was curious what people here thought:

"Opening and closing your roof regularly even through the winter could significantly reduce the likelihood of roof problems, jamming and even leaks.

Seals that have been compressed for long periods retain slight 'pressure memory' and do not spring back to full shape as easily as those that are in regular use.

This keeps the parts lubed up, free and with more use the whole system moves more freely and seals retain their shape better preventing water leaks."

Does anybody here do this? Does it sound like good advice?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would not do it when it is 0F outside.
I would not even roll down windows when it is that cold.
Anything above 32F is ok to do to your car

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think that's not a problem with the Honda sunroofs. I have a 2005 with the sunroof and don't normally open it in the winter.

And really, it probably depends more on the design. I wondered why I hadn't heard much about sunroof leaks on the Accord, so I had a good look at mine. It basically has rain gutters under the seals. Pretty smart actually. If the seals do leak a little, the water is trapped in channels in the roof under the seals, and runs down inside the body (I assume down the door pillars, but never traced it that far.) So there's very little chance of you having an interior cabin leak that would bother you.

Probably the advantage of a factory sunroof. :)

The Honda maintenance intervals also specify lubing of the tracks for the sunroof, if you follow them, or take it to a dealer that does the full maintenance service.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
I live in Sarasota, Florida sooooo - yeah I use it all year around haha.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm in SoCal, and I never open it. I could probably count the number of times I did in my '99 on one hand. If I could have gotten it without a sunroof I would have.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm in SoCal, and I never open it. I could probably count the number of times I did in my '99 on one hand. If I could have gotten it without a sunroof I would have.
Same here. Entire assembly probably adds 50 lbs to the car's weight that I could do without. Money better spent in the manufacturing process on other enhancements.

·
Registered
481 Posts
yes, all year.. Would NEVER buy a vehicle without one. I even pop it open for fresh air in winter even with heat on. Unless its bitterly cold which is rare

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not do it when it is 0F outside.
I would not even roll down windows when it is that cold.
Anything above 32F is ok to do to your car
Yeh, definitely agree with that...I'd only do it when it was above freezing.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's not a problem with the Honda sunroofs. I have a 2005 with the sunroof and don't normally open it in the winter.

And really, it probably depends more on the design. I wondered why I hadn't heard much about sunroof leaks on the Accord, so I had a good look at mine. It basically has rain gutters under the seals. Pretty smart actually. If the seals do leak a little, the water is trapped in channels in the roof under the seals, and runs down inside the body (I assume down the door pillars, but never traced it that far.) So there's very little chance of you having an interior cabin leak that would bother you.

Probably the advantage of a factory sunroof. :)

The Honda maintenance intervals also specify lubing of the tracks for the sunroof, if you follow them, or take it to a dealer that does the full maintenance service.
Thanks for all of this info...really good stuff. It sounds like Honda put a lot of thought into the design of this thing. My neighbor used to own a Saab that had a leaky sunroof and he used to cover it with a tarp and some bricks anytime it rained. Sounds like I shouldn't have to worry about that with my Accord. :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Sarasota, Florida sooooo - yeah I use it all year around haha.
Lucky dog! We're getting 6" of snow tomorrow with temps in the teens... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have a sun roof in my 2000 Solara and it has never been opened since I have had the car. This is an add on I wish they had kept. I don't call it an option because you have to take it on any model that has what I want on a car. Did I say that I hate it?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh, I agree with you. I'm in the Washington, DC area (Northern VA) and the air quality here is pretty bad. I don't even drive with my vents open because all you smell is car exhaut fumes when you do...and it's pretty much the same thing with the sun roof down...either car fumes or cigarette smoke is all you smell. No such thing as "fresh air" around here for the most part. :dunno:

However, there definitely will be times when I'll be out of the area (west in the mountains or east towards the beach) and on those times it'll be nice to have the sunroof.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty much open year round here....north Florida.....but we do get a lot of rain and that cuts down on openings.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
:thmsup: I hate sunroofs and never open mine. I would love one without. I don't like the air flow, noise, heat, etc. I have dual zone CC that takes care of all of my climate needs. I almost never crack a window.

To the OP's point, I don't think it is necessary. I have had many cars with Sunroofs that have never been opened and when I trade/sell they all work fine without lubrication or use for several years.

Just a historical FYI: Technically we have a moonroof. Years ago when there were sunroofs and moonroofs, the sunroof was always steel (my '87 300e, '85 Peugeot, '80 Citroen, '73 Bavaria, '72 Capri) and the more modern day moonroof was always glass (hence you could see the moon at night through it). As more cars got moonroofs in the '80s (mostly American iron like Lincoln), a few were aound in the '70s, manufacturers transitioned from steel panel sunroofs to glass moonroofs and the terms became essentially interchangeable. The glass seemed to impart more "luxury" and today it is impossible to find a true steel sunroof. I don't like glass over my head be it a moonroof or roof weakening "T-Tops". Too many shards like a shotgun blast if the moonroof shatters in a crash (plenty of examples on youtube crash tests).

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I open it from time to time so the parts move and lube up.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I put it in vent mode from time to time. It has nothing to do with lubing or seals.

Jay

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have kept mine shut for so long it has been absorbed into the car. If you don't use yours, it could disappear for you too.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have kept mine shut for so long it has been absorbed into the car. If you don't use yours, it could disappear for you too.
I wish.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I love my moonroof and now that I have the visor, I definitely use it year round. It can be freezing outside and with the heater running, it's the best of both worlds. Fresh air that doesn't make your nose bleed to breathe and heat.

Years ago when cars still had the wing vents, I'd almost always have the vent open in the winter with the heater going full blast.

I've often lamented the loss of the vent window, but now the moonroof does the job and much more.

I honestly can't understand why people wouldn't use the moonroof, even it's only to vent heat almost instantly. Heat rises, of course, and having what is effectively a chimney in your roof is about as efficient as it can get.

And for those who think that the visor breaks up the car's lines, I have to say that I understand your concern, but honestly, you get used to the look and the function is enough to make a believer out of anyone.

Form should follow function, which is something that cannot be said for the addition of costly spoilers that have no function whatsoever, except for a questionable cosmetic effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
:thmsup: I hate sunroofs and never open mine. I would love one without. I don't like the air flow, noise, heat, etc. I have dual zone CC that takes care of all of my climate needs. I almost never crack a window.
+1

Couldn't have stated it better. :thmsup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts