Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to do the valve adjustment on my Wife's '08 V6 coupe after I'm done with the timing belt.
Does everyone replace their valve cover gaskets (at least the perimeter gasket) when doing this? I was planning on getting the entire kit, as it's not too expensive, but maybe it's not required?

The other thing is, what commercially available sealant do you use in the corners of the cover, you know where the bump is with the corners that leak if you don't use anything.
It's been a while since Ive done this job. I used to do it all the time on my Wife's old 4cylinder Accord. I think it was every 30k on that car.

Just curious.
Glenn

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
674 Posts
From what I understand everytime the valve covers comes off you need a new gasket. I put a new one on but still has some oil leaks. So I sand the head and valve cover with 800 grit sand paper to make sure its clean. I then ran a small bead around the head. Haven't had an oil leak since. Not saying its the right way to do it but that is what I did and is working for me lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, just what I was looking for!
Yeah, I know it's a pain to get all the old sealant off. I already have a very slight oil leak from the factory, so they have the same issue.

Glenn

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honda has their own sealant as well. Use a quality brand gasket and some sealant in the corners and/or the specific area that you know is leaking. There is also usually torque specs for the valve cover, I would look those up as well.

Use a rag and some brake/carb cleaner to spot clean any oil that may have run along the edge too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts