Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in what you are experiencing. Assuming you have your system set to display traffic incidents (yellow triangle), are you seeing actual accidents being displayed in a timely manner. My example: A major street had been shut down for 4 hours for a fatal accident, in the opposite direction I was traveling. The accident was not displayed on my NAVI. So length of time or severity cannot be the reason it was not displayed. I brought it up during a recent service and was told they couldn't do anything since Honda Technical support did not work on Saturday.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd be interested in what you are experiencing. Assuming you have your system set to display traffic incidents (yellow triangle), are you seeing actual accidents being displayed in a timely manner. My example: A major street had been shut down for 4 hours for a fatal accident, in the opposite direction I was traveling. The accident was not displayed on my NAVI. So length of time or severity cannot be the reason it was not displayed. I brought it up during a recent service and was told they couldn't do anything since Honda Technical support did not work on Saturday.
Does that have something to do with the car being connected to a network or something in order for it to get traffic updates?

:D. That's why I love G.Maps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine doesn't display too. It has the traffic logo on the lower left corner of the GPS screen. The only way to know traffic incidents is to goto info then traffic incidents.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have never seen it display. Look at traffic incident like mentioned above. Another useless feature of our overpriced outdated NAV system.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Igggy, was it a divided highway and were you running a route? IDK but maybe if it is a divided highway and the GPS knows you are not on the side which has the incident maybe it will not display. However, if there is a gapers' block on your side I would think it would give you some kind of warning, either the incident icon or the road would be marked yellow or red on your side.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is why I never want a car with Navi. I have a smartphone with me in my car (at all times) and it is WAY more accurate and portable than a Navi. Plus with a mount can be used as GPS anyway, so what's the point?

Also some of the good apps show you info like that.

I know some people will say that these don't work in some area's sure. But 99.9% of the time there is good to decent sometimes excellent coverage.

None of my cars have had Navi so maybe I don't know what I am missing, but I can skip the $2000 premium for the privilege of not finding out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine works great, shows the traffic flow colors for highways. I only see the green color on one road in the entire city, the rest will show nothing unless yellow or red. I also get the exclamation points on the map for accidents, and the slippery road icon for weather alerts. Works great cause I don't need to check google maps before my commute. If I see an accident I usually use google maps to verify it, and it's been pretty accurate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Mine works great, shows the traffic flow colors for highways. I only see the green color on one road in the entire city, the rest will show nothing unless yellow or red. I also get the exclamation points on the map for accidents, and the slippery road icon for weather alerts. Works great cause I don't need to check google maps before my commute. If I see an accident I usually use google maps to verify it, and it's been pretty accurate.

Same here. Mine seems to work pretty well and timely also. If the lower left hand corner doesn't show "FM" then you are not getting traffic updates in your location.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Mine work great as well...

I think the difference on how accurate it is, is how fast the fm stations its linked to put the info out...I live in Annapolis, and it pulls WTOP radio signal, they do traffic updates every 10 minutes during the day, as you can imagine, mine is lit up like a christmas tree with info...however, if i go to the shore, traffic info is spotty, at best..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Same here. Mine seems to work pretty well and timely also. If the lower left hand corner doesn't show "FM" then you are not getting traffic updates in your location.
Not necessarily true, IMO. I've mentioned it in another Nav-related thread that there have been occasions when I don't have the traffic icon showing but I will still get a message that there is congestion on the route and the route has been changed. Only thing I can think of is that traffic info sometimes pops in and out so fast I don't notice it. Has anyone alse had this happen?

·
37.826611, -122.422929
44 Posts
Mine works (SF area). One day, one of the traffic incidents was "Rain". :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine works great, shows the traffic flow colors for highways. I only see the green color on one road in the entire city, the rest will show nothing unless yellow or red. I also get the exclamation points on the map for accidents, and the slippery road icon for weather alerts. Works great cause I don't need to check google maps before my commute. If I see an accident I usually use google maps to verify it, and it's been pretty accurate>>

My major roads are always in RED! Even on Sunday mornings when traffic is non existant. So it never works.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is why I never want a car with Navi. I have a smartphone with me in my car (at all times) and it is WAY more accurate and portable than a Navi. Plus with a mount can be used as GPS anyway, so what's the point?

Also some of the good apps show you info like that.

I know some people will say that these don't work in some area's sure. But 99.9% of the time there is good to decent sometimes excellent coverage.

None of my cars have had Navi so maybe I don't know what I am missing, but I can skip the $2000 premium for the privilege of not finding out.
My Navi works great. I also did not pay $2000 premium, this all comes down to the negotiation process, their desire to sell the car, supply/demand ETC. I got my car OTD for 2K less than MSRP (which does not include TTL and Processing ETC)

Also If I am on the 95 and there is a major back-up rarely is there an alternative route if I still have 120 miles left to go on the 95 - Meaning Waze and Gmaps would not be very different. I never use Navi in my area but not everyone knows their city as well as I know mine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Mine works great, shows the traffic flow colors for highways. I only see the green color on one road in the entire city, the rest will show nothing unless yellow or red. I also get the exclamation points on the map for accidents, and the slippery road icon for weather alerts. Works great cause I don't need to check google maps before my commute. If I see an accident I usually use google maps to verify it, and it's been pretty accurate>>

My major roads are always in RED! Even on Sunday mornings when traffic is non existant. So it never works.
Not sure if you are joking, but major roads (interstates, etc.) are always shown in red. The traffic advisory red (and yellow) lines are drawn beside the roads, not on them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found this thread as I began to search to pinpoint the problem with my new Acord.

I have played around with the settings to confirm accuracy and I never have seen one thing displayed about traffic. If I go to "info" and look at traffic info, it is slow and time consuming but there is info there. Nothing ever shows on my map. Frustrating.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the info. My map shows something like "trf" in the lower left corner and never shows FM. Yet, when I go to the "traffic" info that section appears to be quite accurate (so where do those updates come from?). I've tried cutting the icons on/off/on to see if it would trigger and nothing.

I also played around with turning on gas stations, restaurants, etc., and these don't show on the map either. I've also made sure the map is zoomed in enough to see traffic info. Why do no icons show?

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
The only time I'm aware of a traffic incident from the NAV system is when I enter an address into it to get somewhere. The system will then let me know that there's heavy traffic ahead and will reroute me around it. As for incidents showing up on NAV screen when I just happen to have it up on the screen, never.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts