Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 v6 sedan. I recently had an accident and crushed my resonator box. I know it's not needed and some people remove it for sound. Is there any negative affect that I would need to worry about. Example water. I live in the northeast. I just thought I could save some money and fully remove it. If removing it does not affect anything up to what point do I stop removing the piping.

·
Elvira - the car
3,509 Posts
I have a 04 v6 sedan. I recently had an accident and crushed my resonator box. I know it's not needed and some people remove it for sound. Is there any negative affect that I would need to worry about. Example water. I live in the northeast. I just thought I could save some money and fully remove it. If removing it does not affect anything up to what point do I stop removing the piping.
That resonator is low in the body as you know. Your concern is warranted as far as water ingress. There is a member here that went into a "puddle" at least up to the resonator in a 2013. It was cracked too, unbeknownst to him, and unfortunately his engine was hydro-locked and ruined.

If I were in your situation I would replace it rather than disconnect completely. But YMMV.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/316386-3-wrecks-now-car-flooded-engine-dead.html

·
07 I4 MT coupe
254 Posts
I agree with miker. I had a rare occurrence of a super storm where im from and I ended up driving through a flooded out street and went through water that was so deep that actually filled my car horn with water. (it had the funniest sound for months until the water dried out of it)

I didn't get any water in the engine and even though I cant prove it, I believe having every piece of that air system in place helped.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Used part shop in FL wants $27.50 for a replacement one (from a wrecked Accord).

Pretty cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts