Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accord is the first car that I have owned with a rear backup camera and, obviously, the LaneWatch. In theory, I should be able to back up without twisting my head and looking around. In theory, I should be able to look at the i-MID screen only when making a lane change.

However, in practice (it's been almost a full year of ownership), I am still turning my head to back up and to make a lane change towards the passenger side. Both due to a 25-year habit and because I feel like I would be missing the blindspots by using just the cameras. For backing up, I could see the benefits of turning around to check for a person or object approaching the car perpendicularly (the wide angle mode of the camera would not be very helpful for this purpose, it seems to me). But LaneWatch should obviate my need to check the blindspot on the right, no?

At any rate, I am curious if any of you have been relying solely on the cameras to change lanes or going backwards. Yes, I am aware of the legal warning that pops up on the screen that says be aware of your surroundings.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I still look.

Jay

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
I've had backup cameras in my cars since 2007 and I still turn my head and look backwards when I'm backing up. I use the camera to make sure there's nothing immediately behind the car and sometimes when I'm reversing up to a wall or vertical posts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I look behind me when backing into the street (you need to see side to side) however when backing into a parking space I've gotten quite good at using the camera to put the car where it needs to go.

For changing lanes I never look anymore - flip on camera - hit signal - change lanes - flip off camera.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When I'm backing up, I use the rearview camera as an aid but my primary method of checking to see if it's safe to back up is 1) turning and looking behind me and 2) using my mirrors. I definitely do use the rearview camera, however, when it comes to checking how close I am to a concrete wall or other vehicle in a parking garage, for example.

However, when it comes to changing lanes to the right, I'm almost completely dependent on the LaneWatch camera now and I'm not turning to visually check my blindspot that much anymore. My thinking is how could a car be in your blindspot but not show up in your camera? It would be like an object that was behind you not being visible in your mirror. If a car is in your blindspot, how could it not show up in your LaneWatch camera...unless, of course, the car were being driven by a vampire. :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
However, when it comes to changing lanes to the right, I'm almost completely dependent on the LaneWatch camera now and I'm not turning to visually check my blindspot that much anymore. My thinking is how could a car be in your blindspot but not show up in your camera? It would be like an object that was behind you not being visible in your mirror. If a car is in your blindspot, how could it not show up in your LaneWatch camera...unless, of course, the car were being driven by a vampire. :D
Exactly. In fact I think it's safer to use the camera and make a quick glance to the screen than to physically turn your torso to look behind you to the right.

·
S mode
382 Posts
don't do it man. The camera is tricky. I only use to measure if I'm parking straight or not, but I still turn my head.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In reverse, I use the camera to look for cars/kids/objects/etc, but rely on my side mirrors and looking around to navigate. Even more so when maneuvering and my mirrors are within inches of cars next to me. A camera is no substitute for your field of vision and depth perception. For right-hand lane changes, I rely mostly on the blindspot camera. This is different, because it will let me know if the lane is open. If so, the next lane over is already in my peripheral vision.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have an LX, so no LaneWatch. But in every car I drive, I like to adjust the mirrors in such a way that I can't see the side of the car in the mirror unless I tilt my head towards it. Doing that takes out most, if not all of the blind spot area. I might still buy blind spot mirrors, though, just because I'm paranoid.

As for reverse, I still turn my head and then use my mirrors to gauge where the side of the car is, especially when backing into the extremely narrow garage I have at my apartment (I have no more than 2 inches between the garage door and the mirrors, and that's when I've lined up perfectly). Usually I only use the camera to judge how much room is behind the car, since I can't see the trunk despite being 6'2".

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
A combination of mirrors, cameras and head-turning is the best course. All three have limitations and using all three compensates for those limitations.

Still, no one can look in more than one direction at a time, so it's best to keep one's head on a swivel.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I used to use only the camera for changing lanes when I first got the car. However, my roommate's Focus didn't have the LaneWatch and I found myself having been used to it. Now I use LaneWatch but also look in the mirror. Backing up I use the camera, the mirror, and also look side to side before backing out of a space.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm glad Sport doesn't have LaneWatch; didn't like it at all when I test drove an EX.

Distracts you from actually checking your blind spot in some situations. If you develop reliance and it's blurry or covered by mud...that's an argument I care not to have with the wife (who I fear would rely on it and tag another car because of it).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have an LX, so no LaneWatch. But in every car I drive, I like to adjust the mirrors in such a way that I can't see the side of the car in the mirror unless I tilt my head towards it. Doing that takes out most, if not all of the blind spot area. I might still buy blind spot mirrors, though, just because I'm paranoid.

As for reverse, I still turn my head and then use my mirrors to gauge where the side of the car is, especially when backing into the extremely narrow garage I have at my apartment (I have no more than 2 inches between the garage door and the mirrors, and that's when I've lined up perfectly). Usually I only use the camera to judge how much room is behind the car, since I can't see the trunk despite being 6'2".
I like how the new 9th gen mirrors have a bigger surface area allowing you to see your blind spot. The lx has the mirrors from the 8th gen which are smaller, decreasing the coverage.

I was driving our 8th gen the other day and had my mirrors set the way I always do. there was still a huge blind spot...almost ssideswiped the poor guy next to me. I would suggest the blind spot mirrors :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
A combination of mirrors, cameras and head-turning is the best course. All three have limitations and using all three compensates for those limitations.

Still, no one can look in more than one direction at a time, so it's best to keep one's head on a swivel.
I tend to combo and always look for the blind spot by head turn when changing lanes.

For backing, I use the camera exclusively. There is no view I can get by looking past the headrests, through a narrow rear window, with essentially one eye since my head cant spin a full 180 that is better than the camera. The cam can see anything below bumper level that I can't and it can see several parking spaces to the side as well when my view is blocked by a van. The cam view is superior to anything I can see behind me.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Set your mirror correctly and you shouldn't have any blind spots, regardless of the mirrors.
^This. I have had my mirrors like this for about 10 years now. Once you are used to it, you will wonder why the DOT tells you to do it the other way. The method above is superior.

Jay

·
Registered
123 Posts

Well said...agree 100%!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I tend to combo and always look for the blind spot by head turn when changing lanes.

For backing, I use the camera exclusively. There is no view I can get by looking past the headrests, through a narrow rear window, with essentially one eye since my head cant spin a full 180 that is better than the camera. The cam can see anything below bumper level that I can't and it can see several parking spaces to the side as well when my view is blocked by a van. The cam view is superior to anything I can see behind me.
Agreed..I use the cameras almost exclusively. Lane watch and backing cam is much more accurate and safer than the mirror or looking out the back window slit. I try to do both but it almost seems useless after using the cams. If it is raining the lane watch is sometime blurry so I use the mirror more often.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
^This. I have had my mirrors like this for about 10 years now. Once you are used to it, you will wonder why the DOT tells you to do it the other way. The method above is superior.

Jay
Same here for 15 years. I even got wifey on board with her car and women tend to have a real problem with this concept.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts