Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the Accord and car world. But as I’m looking up for performance mods to my LX, I rarely see Anything for the LX model and more for sport.
So does the Sport model 1.5 T aftermarket parts will fit on a base model LX? I’m not too sure if there’s a technical difference. Help?

Parts wise, I’m focused towards Air Intake, a 3in straight pipe, a down pipe. (will I get the same popping if it’s not a manual?) and anything else that can make me wake up the neighborhood at 6AM

here’s some before and after pics of my car I just finished some exterior mods too.
Before.

after .

Another thing is . I’m not getting tints yet cause NY State police are the worst.

· Registered
2,161 Posts
Parts wise, I’m focused towards Air Intake, a 3in straight pipe, a down pipe. (will I get the same popping if it’s not a manual?) and anything else that can make me wake up the neighborhood at 6AM
I'm no Honda technician, but from what I've searched and seen, it looks like the 10th gen Accord is extremely well mass produced. They all have dual exhaust, and aside from brake/suspension parts and some flair, they all seem to be the same mechanically. I'd wager that the air intake for a 1.5 LX is the same as a 1.5 Sport, the same should be true for the exhaust except for the chrome bumper tips. You probably won't get the same popping from an auto but that doesn't mean no popping. To each his own, nice job making it yours.

Another thing is . I’m not getting tints yet cause NY State police are the worst.
There are legal limits, most states are the same. Just get a legal tint and keep documentation and there is literally NOTHING the police can do about it other than pull you over and ask for it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no Honda technician, but from what I've searched and seen, it looks like the 10th gen Accord is extremely well mass produced. They all have dual exhaust, and aside from brake/suspension parts and some flair, they all seem to be the same mechanically. I'd wager that the air intake for a 1.5 LX is the same as a 1.5 Sport, the same should be true for the exhaust except for the chrome bumper tips. You probably won't get the same popping from an auto but that doesn't mean no popping. To each his own, nice job making it yours.

There are legal limits, most states are the same. Just get a legal tint and keep documentation and there is literally NOTHING the police can do about it other than pull you over and ask for it.
Thanks for that , i needed to see if I was going to waste money on something that won’t fit . I’ll look into more other parts.

I’ve read up on some discussions saying that if I add more power to my engine it’ll blow my cvt trans?

But tint wise in NY it’s 70% is the legal limit for sedans, so I’d maybe just aim for 30-50% .

· Registered
2,161 Posts
I’ve read up on some discussions saying that if I add more power to my engine it’ll blow my cvt trans?
when using something like Ktuner, some people report slipping clutch when producing more than like 220-230hp/ lbft with the 1.5T. The CVT does not have the ability to slip that I'm aware of, so if you pound on it with that much power, you could cause damage.

But tint wise in NY it’s 70% is the legal limit for sedans, so I’d maybe just aim for 30-50% .
I hope you're reading this clearly. 70% (or MORE) transmission, which is the same as 30% (or LESS) absorbance/blocking. You either want to allow 70%-100% of light to pass through the window, or 30% to 0% of light can be blocked. Any tint with numbers 31%-69% for either value on the front windows is illegal in the state of NY.

Reactions: Ronch

· Registered
2,496 Posts
70% is legal means the glass should have a VLT (visible light transmission) percentage of 70 or higher. The factory glass is not 100% clear, it has a vlt of something like 80-90%

If you apply 50% tint, it means the tint will block 50% of the light in visible wavelength, and let the remaining 50% through.

If you have 90%vlt glass (optimistic assumption) + 50% tint, then the total vlt becomes 45%. That's under 70%, the car will fail inspection* before you even get on the road.

If you have 80%vlt glass from factory, and you apply 20% tint (which means it will let 80% of visible light through) then your total vlt becomes 64%, also fails to meet the minimum.

Effective January 1st, 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. - Love, New York DMV

· Registered
1,596 Posts
and anything else that can make me wake up the neighborhood at 6AM

Perhaps if you don't want to draw the attention of your local law enforcement, you should rethink your goal of waking up your neighbors at 6am.

If you are going to modify your car- and then drive it through the neighborhood trying to make noise- don't be surprised if someone screws with all of those modifications that you've made while that car is sitting in your driveway. Sometimes when you beg for attention you eventually get it.

As for modifications- check out the performance sub-forum. There are dozens and dozens of threads that talk about the risks and potential rewards for different strategies for pushing more power out of that tiny 1.5t engine. I can't think of an engine modification that wouldn't work on an LX that would work on a Sport. They are all the same under the hood in terms of engine and transmission.

· Registered
2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT
44 Posts
First, the mechanical differences between trims are minimal. Mostly being active dampers on the sport that the LX wouldn't have. Engine and trans are the same. Brakes are marginally different but will be different enough that you'll want to get something specific for that.

Second, maybe don't try to wake up the neighborhood at 6am. As somebody who drove loud cars his whole life I at least was courteous enough to not be an ass when leaving or coming in early/late.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
70% is legal means the glass should have a VLT (visible light transmission) percentage of 70 or higher. The factory glass is not 100% clear, it has a vlt of something like 80-90%

If you apply 50% tint, it means the tint will block 50% of the light in visible wavelength, and let the remaining 50% through.

If you have 90%vlt glass (optimistic assumption) + 50% tint, then the total vlt becomes 45%. That's under 70%, the car will fail inspection* before you even get on the road.

If you have 80%vlt glass from factory, and you apply 20% tint (which means it will let 80% of visible light through) then your total vlt becomes 64%, also fails to meet the minimum.

Effective January 1st, 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. - Love, New York DMV
I completely understand the tint limits and what not but not the VLT till now , I know if I do apply a 30-50 that it will become illegal, and not go through inspection.
Unless I do just get it done, payall the police fines and pay a little more at a any inspection shop.
The reason I even brought up tints was because my car may look more aggressive w it on but will run my pockets

First, the mechanical differences between trims are minimal. Mostly being active dampers on the sport that the LX wouldn't have. Engine and trans are the same. Brakes are marginally different but will be different enough that you'll want to get something specific for that.

Second, maybe don't try to wake up the neighborhood at 6am. As somebody who drove loud cars his whole life I at least was courteous enough to not be an ass when leaving or coming in early/late.
thanks for the mechanical knowledge, so if there is a product listed for the sport trim it can also work w the LX,? Yes..?
Hahah just something barely even loud would work , but I def would hate it if a neighbor did the same every morning or night.

· Registered
2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT
44 Posts
thanks for the mechanical knowledge, so if there is a product listed for the sport trim it can also work w the LX,? Yes..?
as far as engine/transmission? Yeah, absolutely. There is no difference in drivetrain from 1.5t and cvt to another. I saw something about Ktuner from someone before and I would say don't be afraid to tune if you understand the risk/reward along with the lack of warranty coverage after that. I came from the 10th gen civic crowd and there are a lot of tuned cvt guys. you can run one of the ktuner maps and have it stay reliable. obviously if you push it a ton you'll see issues but tuning doesn't mean cvt failure straight away. a tune is by far the best bang for the buck on these cars though.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps if you don't want to draw the attention of your local law enforcement, you should rethink your goal of waking up your neighbors at 6am.

If you are going to modify your car- and then drive it through the neighborhood trying to make noise- don't be surprised if someone screws with all of those modifications that you've made while that car is sitting in your driveway. Sometimes when you beg for attention you eventually get it.

As for modifications- check out the performance sub-forum. There are dozens and dozens of threads that talk about the risks and potential rewards for different strategies for pushing more power out of that tiny 1.5t engine. I can't think of an engine modification that wouldn't work on an LX that would work on a Sport. They are all the same under the hood in terms of engine and transmission.
yeah I get it, I don’t want that to happen. Just something to make this lawn mower just sound a bit aggressive. And also thank you a lot for the third paragraph

as far as engine/transmission? Yeah, absolutely. There is no difference in drivetrain from 1.5t and cvt to another. I saw something about Ktuner from someone before and I would say don't be afraid to tune if you understand the risk/reward along with the lack of warranty coverage after that. I came from the 10th gen civic crowd and there are a lot of tuned cvt guys. you can run one of the ktuner maps and have it stay reliable. obviously if you push it a ton you'll see issues but tuning doesn't mean cvt failure straight away. a tune is by far the best bang for the buck on these cars though.
Thanks I will look into all the risk and rewards for that. I never really thought about tuning because of the warranty and it might like mess up the engine a bit, but thanks for the notice !

· Registered
621 Posts
Try PRL intake. thats what I have on my car. It wont loose you any power and makes a little more. Not all intakes are the same. Some will change the MAF location to mess with the fuel trims and you could loose some power. I have this on my car same setup but im a 2.0

Dont do a 3" pipe. Get a axle back for the 1.5 Not as many choices but straight pipe on a 1.5 will not sound good..

These 2 will wake up the neighbors....

Reactions: Stevenpheng

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 1.5T
65 Posts
As a sport 1.5 owner, yes any accord 1.5 performance part will fit on your LX. Doesn't matter what it is. As far as power goes, I've done a lot of research on the 1.5 engine and here are my thoughts. I come from the civicX forum where tuning the 1.5 CVT is pretty much commonplace. Much like you see the overflow of 2.0T tuning questions here, it is the same with the 1.5T over on the Civic side.

Bottom line, I know many people here are skeptical of tuning the CVT, but over on the Civic Side there is a reliability survey with hundreds of responses which basically establishes that most CVT owners who are tuned and don't abuse their car or go over the torque limits of the CVT are doing great. No reason the accord should be any different (if anything it should be better considering it is designed to handle more hp/torque from factory).

The main thing that will kill your CVT is too much torque early on and abusing it by constantly roll racing or launching it and such. If you were to stick with one of the canned tunes that come in the KTuner and have a few supporting mods like an intake/downpipe you should be good to go. Obviously there is still a risk as there is with anything, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as those torque figures remain reasonable. I myself am going to probably start with a stage 1 tune and stick to that (maybe stage 2 if I feel like i need more) but won't go beyond that.

· Registered
2023 GR Corolla | 2019 Accord 2.0 6MT (Sold)
157 Posts
There is one difference with the LX and EX-L models and the Sport/Touring models and that is the muffler exit position. The LX and EX-L models do not have the exhaust valences and for that reason the muffler tips point down towards the ground. If you put the Thermal R&D exhaust (or any exhaust designed for the Sport or Touring) the the muffler tips will point upwards and the exhaust will not exit the back of the car smoothly as there isn’t a hole in the bumper there. You will either have to get custom tips or retrofit the Sport/Touring exhaust valences.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.