Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm looking to join the Accord family. I'm looking at picking up a well cared for Accord with 90k on the clock. Not too long ago, the seller went through the process of having the piston rings replaced due to excessive oil consumption.

I was wondering if the fix is fairly effective or should I be cautious? Also, is this a permanent fix or should I expect it to start consuming excessive oil again in the next 100k miles?

Cheers,
Rikin

· 8th Gen Believer
5,665 Posts
You didn't mention the year or whether i4 or V6. It matters. The compression test per salcutta88 should be done before you buy any car with a history of oil consumption.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,665 Posts
As I mentioned on your other post, that model Accord is a reliable ride. After 4 years on this forum, I've read about individual fixes but no common gotcha's. Don't buy any car that's had oil consumption issues.

· Registered
5,696 Posts
A compression test will not tell you if an engine has an oil consumption problem. The compression rings are different the the oil control rings. A compression test should show 180+ psi and they should all be within 10% of each other.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.