Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

· No Gears, Got CVT :)
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed College Hills' home link mod which is battery operated. The first thing I've noticed was the buttons do not illumination like the moon roof buttons do? Do they Illumination on the V6 because they are wired in?

· Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
874 Posts
Those buttons dont light up the only light is from the bluetooth mic.

· Generation 9
565 Posts
I thought I looked up and saw the small square buttons lit up the other night..the little dots in the middle of them or something.....I have a V 6......I am home now but will check it out tomorrow night and report back..

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those buttons dont light up the only light is from the bluetooth mic.
thanks, I was hoping I could do a wiring mod to have them light.
My moon roof slide control lights.

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the homelink in daylight, I can see that it has not light. :(
The V6 is most likely the same. But please let me know anyway.

· Generation 9
565 Posts
I checked mine today on my V6 and can say that they definately light up. The 3 buttons, each with a "dot", 1 dot, then 2, then 3, each light up when the headlamp switch is turned on. I turned the lights on and off to be sure and there was no reflection. It is bright and obvious when you turn off the headlamps. These buttons light up on my car. I don't use homelink and have never touched it but they are indeed illuminated.

· Registered
874 Posts
I was wrong it does light up.

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked mine today on my V6 and can say that they definately light up. The 3 buttons, each with a "dot", 1 dot, then 2, then 3, each light up when the headlamp switch is turned on. I turned the lights on and off to be sure and there was no reflection. It is bright and obvious when you turn off the headlamps. These buttons light up on my car. I don't use homelink and have never touched it but they are indeed illuminated.
Thanks a lot for helping and turning your lights on / off to verify. The dots look like painted dots. I will take a photo a little later and attach it to the thread. I hope it is the same as yours. I think it is because the moon roof controller also looks like they are painted and they light. I will also take it out again to see if the connector has a line for the lights. Thanks again. :)

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on illumination of 2013 Accord CVT HomeLink Mod buttons.

Thanks a lot for helping and turning your lights on / off to verify. The dots look like painted dots. I will take a photo a little later and attach it to the thread. I hope it is the same as yours. I think it is because the moon roof controller also looks like they are painted and they light. I will also take it out again to see if the connector has a line for the lights. Thanks again. :)
The first photo is of the buttons. They look like they are just have painted dots but several V6 owners report they light up. (Thanks again for the info).

The second photo is the back side. They are using a battery and not the connector. The connector has pins for 5 wires.

The third photo is the other side with the plate removed. You can see they wired the battery to 2 of the 5 pins of the connector. You can also see the LED on the left used for the red light when a button is pressed. To the right of that you can see 3 LEDs to illumination each of the buttons. Below those LEDs are the three buttons.

My best bet is to get the home link connector and splice it into the wire harness for the other connectors (map light, moon roof control). The problem is knowing which wires. The 2013 service manual is not available yet. I have a service manual for my old 2003 Accord which may help. It will be a while before I get this working.

Attachments

· Registered
874 Posts
I think the one I have looks like that. Let me take a picture and upload it. Does your blue light done on?

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the blue light and the moon roof control illuminate when the headlights are on. I should be able to use that to power the illumination of the HomeLink buttons. I plan to replace the battery with power from the map lights which can be turned on even when the car is off. The map light connector has 3 pins. They appear to be: ground, power to manually turn on the lights, and timer power when a door is opened.

Can you use the home link when the car is turned off? Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it would be safer only to power the HomeLink only when the car is on. That way little kids can not operate the garage door when the car is off.

· Registered
874 Posts
I forgot to check to see if the Homelink works when the car is off. Will check it tomorrow morning

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Good info. Thinking about purchasing the same unit from college hill but do not want to remove the overhead counsel to replace the battery and I want them illuminated. Did any body determine how to wire direct. Post pics if you did. Thanks.

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good info. Thinking about purchasing the same unit from college hill but do not want to remove the overhead counsel to replace the battery and I want them illuminated. Did any body determine how to wire direct. Post pics if you did. Thanks.
Yes, it can be done. I got a wiring diagram for the 2012. The 2013 may or not be the same. Anyway, i dont have the time now but maybe in the spring. In the mean time, if anybody has the wiring diagrams for the 2013, please post it or send me a PM.

· Registered
1 Posts
Did You Find Wiring Diagram

I just purchased the homelink module from the parts desk (no battery) and would also like to hard-wire into my Accord Sport MT. But I cant find a wiring diagram and it doesn't look like Honda sells that tail of the wiring harness that has this connector. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hard wiring a Homelink into my Accord.

I have not looked into this for awhile but this is what I plan. Please be aware my plans are for an EX-L which has a moon roof.

Also, this is not for a novice and anything you do is at your own risk.

Once I get the wiring diagram for the 2013 ( the shop manual is still unavailable the last time I checked), I plan to build a mini cable between the existing wire harness and the moon roof controller. My mini cable will have connectors to mate between the existing wire harness and the moon roof controller, My mini cable will have a third connector to the home link. It will use the moon roof power as the power to the home link. It will use the moon roof light control to control the home link lights.

Maybe someone without a moon roof can use the power from the map lights as power to the home link?

I don't know what someone without a moon roof can use to control the home link lights. If non moon roof Accords still has the blue light, maybe that can be used to control the home link lights? If I remember correctly, the light control is not a simple +voltage or a simple ground.

The existing wire harness can be cut/splice should the connectors not be available for purchase for my mini cable. However I am very reluctant to do this and do not recommend anyone else doing it.

· 2013 OBP Sedan EXL V6 Nav
56 Posts
I forgot to check to see if the Homelink works when the car is off. Will check it tomorrow morning
Buttons light up - homelink works with car off. I typ open garage door before turning on car. Note that when I get in the car (open door).. I have the dome/hl/tail come on, so I don't know if that "triggers" the homelink for use.

Briefly looking at the manual, there doesn't appear to be any verbiage that the car needs to be on/acces to operate. So, it appears to always be "hot" (the operation anyway, not button lights). Lighting/electronic gurus chime in.

· 2013 OBP Sedan EXL V6 Nav
56 Posts
Pic...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.