Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the wireless charger on my Touring is complete garbage. I can't get my iPhone 12 or my wife's iPhone 11 Max to charge longer for a few seconds before it starts blinking yellow and stops charging.

Seems to be an alignment issue since moving it slightly can correct it for a minute before it happens again.

I know induction charging requires close placement of the antennas, but this is just unusable. What's the point of wireless CarPlay if the charging doesn't work?

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,340 Posts
Unless you are on a road trip of hours, your battery should not deplete significantly simply because you use wireless.

To the topic at hand, do you have a case on your iPhone?

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,340 Posts
Perhaps your charging unit is defective. Have a dealer diagnose the issue.

·
On my second Accord.
2020 Sport 2.0T 6MT Still Night Pearl 5500 km. '07 Accord EX-L I4 Nav 5MT sold.
356 Posts
I would have the dealer check it, too.

But the point of wireless CarPlay is to allow you to still use CarPlay on short drives. For longer drives, like significant highway trips, wired charging is not only more efficient, but keeps the phone cooler (heat is bad for long-term battery life) and wired CarPlay is more reliable than wireless.

Reactions: grumpypolecat

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it is the same wireless charger that is in my 2020 Touring (I think it is) Yea it sucks but I just plug my phone in or most of the time just use it blue tooth.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So I've been reading lot of tech article lately about phone batteries ballooning with constantly being wirelessly fast charged. I try to stay away from them now. I also noticed they seem to create more heat when fast charging compared to plugging it in. Which could be the problem who knows. Just some food for thought

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue in malaysia... I having 1.5T version.. the wireless charger just make my heated up like a frying egg. When the phone heated up it wouldnt charge! I measured... normally it start heated up around ~5%. I have reported out to SC, they just said no news from Honda on the action needed. sighh..

·
2020 CBP Touring
700 Posts
It's super slow to boot. I'd be shocked if it was 10 watts. I've never bothered, though I might if Honda ever offers the wireless upgrade to 18-20 Touring's.

Reactions: kdot15T

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
217 Posts
Will not work with iPhone 12 series. Really bummed about this. I have the 12 Pro and other phone iPhone 11 Pro Max works fine with it. I am sure it has to do with the magnet inside the 12’s.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
217 Posts
I am using oem Apple silicone case. I think it’s an Apple issue though. Many people still complaining about their wireless chargers not working with 12 series. I tried 2 wireless chargers with the same result. I gave in a while back and bought the MagSafe charger and no problem since. Apple still needs a fix. I was just warning potential new owners of the Accord using iPhone 12 series.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
107 Posts
I test drove a 2021 Accord Touring 2.0T last week. I put my iPhone 12 on the wireless charger, and it definitely charged. I'm using an Otterbox with no magnet inside it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove a 2021 Accord Touring 2.0T last week. I put my iPhone 12 on the wireless charger, and it definitely charged. I'm using an Otterbox with no magnet inside it.
I have a new 2021 Accord Touring 2.0T and was having fits with it charging my iPhone 12. It does for like 20 seconds and then I get the flashing light error and it stops charging. Was doing with my Mous case that has magnets in it so I changed to a silicon case without magnets and had the same issue, so I took the case off completely and it did the same. Will try the reboot/ restart of phone to see if it works a little longer. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed by software update from Apple as the article mentioned.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
wireless charging is severely overrated, a full charge takes about 4hrs 😂
100% agree. I considered getting the wireless charger installed when I bought my 2019. When I realized how slow it charges compared to the fast charger that my iPhone came with and how ridiculously expensive it is to have it installed, I said no thanks.

For me, it's really not a big deal to have my phone plugged in during longer road trips. I know that plugging it in is also a very slow way to charge it- I only really use it on longer road trips or when I need to maintain the charge in my phone- not necessarily try to charge it to 100%.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed that the wireless charger on my Touring is complete garbage. I can't get my iPhone 12 or my wife's iPhone 11 Max to charge longer for a few seconds before it starts blinking yellow and stops charging.

Seems to be an alignment issue since moving it slightly can correct it for a minute before it happens again.

I know induction charging requires close placement of the antennas, but this is just unusable. What's the point of wireless CarPlay if the charging doesn't work?
'21 Sport with Honda's wireless charging, same behavior as you described. Same behavior without case on iPhone 12 Pro, 12, X, and an older Samsung Galaxy something. I can hold the phone above the pad about an inch and still have it begin to charge for a min or two, then it goes to blinking green/amber all the same. Have tested each phone with a couple crappy/free wireless qi chargers and they all work fine, it's definitely something specific to Honda's charger or something associated with it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts