Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This worked for me yesterday! Thank you!

It didn't work when I tried the phone with the left side pushed all the way back, but moving it up a bit worked. I was in the car for about 15 minutes at a time yesterday, and the amber light never shut off.

Everybody else having this trouble with the iPhone 12 Pro should try this!
You’re right. My phone is NOT pushed all the way to back. It loses connection if it is. I should’ve mentioned that. That was what I meant by “wiggle” to find the right position. But it doesn’t go all the way to the back.

By the way, I think this is day 3 or 4 and it still works doing this. So for me this is solved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You’re right. My phone is NOT pushed all the way to back. It loses connection if it is. I should’ve mentioned that. That was what I meant by “wiggle” to find the right position. But it doesn’t go all the way to the back.

By the way, I think this is day 3 or 4 and it still works doing this. So for me this is solved.
After a week, I'm calling this a workaround rather than a solution.

Previously I tried it for some quick local drives, but today was the first time I tried it on my 45 minute commute (in person once a week for the time being, as many others are also doing these days), and it was charging for about 15 minutes before the phone moved out of place when the road got bumpy. Trying to "wiggle" it into a workable position while on the highway wasn't ideal, but at least I was moving at NYC rush hour speeds. Same thing happened on the way home.

I think if I'm running a quick errand I'll put the phone on the wireless charger, and if it works, great, and if it doesn't, no big deal. But in a situation where I need to make sure my phone is actually charging, using the MagSafe charger is a much safer (literally) plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. Mine has not jiggled out of place since I found the “sweet spot”. I have hit speed bumps and it did not move. Mine has the Apple leather case so maybe friction helps. But there is some wisdom in what you said. I probably would not use the mag charger, but a USBC cable. In my prior Honda EXL, I used a $10 Qi charger or a USBC cable….I said I wouldn’t pay for Honda Qi charger….but we all know the Touring comes with it ;)

Good luck to anyone who uses my suggestion…it is still working for me…😀

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 standard. I was able to get it to charge with the twisting method previously mentioned but realized just pulling it back a little over a centimeter would keep the charge going even if it’s straight. I’m going to — hopefully — permanently solve this by 3D printing a small brace to sit at the very back of the charger to properly align the iPhone 12.

·
Registered
442 Posts
'21 Sport with Honda's wireless charging, same behavior as you described. Same behavior without case on iPhone 12 Pro, 12, X, and an older Samsung Galaxy something. I can hold the phone above the pad about an inch and still have it begin to charge for a min or two, then it goes to blinking green/amber all the same. Have tested each phone with a couple crappy/free wireless qi chargers and they all work fine, it's definitely something specific to Honda's charger or something associated with it.
Glad I found this thread, was debating adding at option to mine. The sonata had wireless charging and wireless CarPlay which I miss.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 standard. I was able to get it to charge with the twisting method previously mentioned but realized just pulling it back a little over a centimeter would keep the charge going even if it’s straight. I’m going to — hopefully — permanently solve this by 3D printing a small brace to sit at the very back of the charger to properly align the iPhone 12.
Please report back if this works. I'll try putting my phone in straight but a centimeter back tomorrow and see if it's any different from slanted with the 12 Pro.

·
2021 Accord Touring
60 Posts
I have the iphone 12 max and it starts off charging fine but after a while it just stops. I have to wonder if the huge lenses protruding in the back is causing this issue. I only have a thin case so the iphone isn't sitting flat on the charger. I have this same issue on my older wireless charger as the 12 max will not charge because the lenses are preventing it from connecting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This appears to be an issue fixable via a software update. The phone is supposed to be compatible with any Qi-certified chargers.

Not fixable on my phone I have 12 pro up to date the charger doesn’t work. Starts charging thanks within seconds stops. It works on my husbands 10 max. Not my phone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried shanepadgett's method of placing an object at the back of the pad so the phone stays forward 1cm, and so far, it has worked! In about 40 minutes of driving today, the charging light stayed amber the whole time. The phone does not have to be angled as BarefootExec originally suggested.

I couldn't find any objects around the house to use, so I ordered this: Amazon.com: Black Velvet Ring Trays Accessory Foam Pads for Jewelry Showcase, Storage Displays, Home Organization & Decoration (2 Pack): Home Improvement

I just ripped the foam off of the cardboard and put one strip of foam at the back of the charging pad. This item is the perfect width, and since it's black, it's barely even noticeable. I ended up cutting the pad in half to make it closer to 1cm. The full pad is about an inch, which worked when I pressed the phone back into the foam, but the positioning wasn't perfect.

I'll check in here with a update after a few more days of driving, but in the meantime, I'd advise iPhone 12 Pro owners to try this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that the wireless charger on my Touring is complete garbage. I can't get my iPhone 12 or my wife's iPhone 11 Max to charge longer for a few seconds before it starts blinking yellow and stops charging.

Seems to be an alignment issue since moving it slightly can correct it for a minute before it happens again.

I know induction charging requires close placement of the antennas, but this is just unusable. What's the point of wireless CarPlay if the charging doesn't work?
I have the exact same issue— so disappointing. It works for less than a minute on both of our iPhone 12 s and 10s, cases on or off. And both of my iPhones work on my wireless charger in the house, so it seems like it’s not the phone. I just got back from the dealer and watched his phone charge for 5 minutes without a problem. Would have sat there longer but they were closing.

I’m going to check with Apple, Verizon and Best Buy but not optimistic. It’s going to be one of those circles of hell where everyone is sure it’s not THEIR problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the exact same issue— so disappointing. It works for less than a minute on both of our iPhone 12 s and 10s, cases on or off. And both of my iPhones work on my wireless charger in the house, so it seems like it’s not the phone. I just got back from the dealer and watched his phone charge for 5 minutes without a problem. Would have sat there longer but they were closing.

I’m going to check with Apple, Verizon and Best Buy but not optimistic. It’s going to be one of those circles of hell where everyone is sure it’s not THEIR problem.
Have you tried the workarounds discussed in this thread?

·
2021 Accord Touring
60 Posts
This is my solution to the problem. Got tired of seeing the phone charging and not charging. Oh yeah the wireless charging is useless if you use carplay and google maps as it'll drain your battery. It just can't keep up, hence why I went with this magsafe and an after market charger. My phone stays charged the whole time and never loses any battery life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: The 1cm foam at the back continues to work. I haven't had the amber light turn to flashing amber/green at all since I put the foam back there.

BUT: I'm not sure if the phone is charging fast enough. I could have sworn that I started my commute today at 66% battery life, but when I got home, with Google Maps running through CarPlay for the 45 minute ride, I was down to 60%. I guess it's possible that Google Maps is draining the battery faster than the wireless charger can charge it. I'll keep an eye on the situation and report back.

Has anybody found a similar with the battery drain while charging?

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid EXL
18 Posts
This thread has been helpful, so thanks to everyone before me. Ive been trying to find the sweet spot in my 21 hybrid exl. My first attempts to charge my phone resulted in a super hot phone which didnt charge at all. After reading, realized how important the position is. The twist method didnt work for me. But I put a pencil at the back of the wireless charger bay, which gives a few CM clearance, which seems to have worked okay. The phone (iphone X) does charge now, but it still gets pretty warm. I'm hopeful that i can find the right sweet spot where it charges quick enough and doesnt get hot... but havnt found it just yet. I tried a highlighter, but it pushed the phone too far forward. I think somehwere between the width of a pencil and fat highlighter is where i need to be.

edit: direct reply to above- there have been times where my phone loses charge or stays neutral on a long trip. I believe thats a function of not being placed perfectly in the charging bay. Gonna keep trying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 21 Touring, same thing happened with my iPhone 12 Pro with apple leather case
solution: the iPhone shouldn’t be touching the end wall of the compartment that has the wireless charger, try to put a small thing like thumb drive or something so when the iPhone is inside that compartment and on the wireless pad it’s few millimeters off the inside wall. After doing that it’s working great as it doesn’t slide right or left even with harsh driving but slides in if u don’t put something and stops charging
Try it and let me know if u need me to post couple of pictures
I have a new 2021 Accord Touring 2.0T and was having fits with it charging my iPhone 12. It does for like 20 seconds and then I get the flashing light error and it stops charging. Was doing with my Mous case that has magnets in it so I changed to a silicon case without magnets and had the same issue, so I took the case off completely and it did the same. Will try the reboot/ restart of phone to see if it works a little longer. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed by software update from Apple as the article mentioned.
I have the car for couple of days and indeed I noticed it’s super slow and overheats. Didn’t notice draining BUT it’s hardly keeping up.
That being said I figured out the same solution put a rubber piece inside and it’s at least not blinking

Update: The 1cm foam at the back continues to work. I haven't had the amber light turn to flashing amber/green at all since I put the foam back there.

BUT: I'm not sure if the phone is charging fast enough. I could have sworn that I started my commute today at 66% battery life, but when I got home, with Google Maps running through CarPlay for the 45 minute ride, I was down to 60%. I guess it's possible that Google Maps is draining the battery faster than the wireless charger can charge it. I'll keep an eye on the situation and report back.

Has anybody found a similar with the battery drain while charging?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the car for couple of days and indeed I noticed it’s super slow and overheats. Didn’t notice draining BUT it’s hardly keeping up.
That being said I figured out the same solution put a rubber piece inside and it’s at least not blinking
Congrats on the car! I went on a few longer drives this weekend, and while the 1 cm trick has worked most of the time, there were a couple times I got the flashing lights.

I guess I'll stick with this MO for the time being: wireless charging when getting some charge is a bonus; MagSafe or wired connection when I legitimately need to charge.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here’s the bottom line. None of these workarounds should even exist. We shouldn’t have to put a piece of foam or something to prevent the phone from being all the way back. We shouldn’t have to angle the phone a certain way. It should just work. I know alignment is crucial, but there are too many workarounds.

My question is, has anyone taken it to the dealer and if so, what did they say?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whenever my charger flashes amber/green I just turn it off then on again. Works every time.

----
Update after three months: I progressively had more and more problems getting my Android to charge wirelessly. So much so that I gave up and just plug it directly into the USB port. Better Android Auto music quality and more reliable charging.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts