Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here’s the bottom line. None of these workarounds should even exist. We shouldn’t have to put a piece of foam or something to prevent the phone from being all the way back. We shouldn’t have to angle the phone a certain way. It should just work. I know alignment is crucial, but there are too many workarounds.

My question is, has anyone taken it to the dealer and if so, what did they say?
I don't think it's a Honda issue, though. It's an iPhone 12 issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
"If you have a customer stating their Apple iPhone® 12 (all models: iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max) does not charge when using the wireless charger, please let them know that we are aware of these concerns and are currently looking into it. Replacing the wireless charger or using another iPhone 12 will not address the customer’s concern."

I suspect these charging issues go beyond the iPhone 12. The wireless charger that came on my 2021 Ridgeline is trash. It only charges my Apple AirPods Pro and XS Max for about 10 seconds before the charging stops and the light starts blinking. And, whoever put the status light directly beneath the device being charged should be fired.

Attachments

4 Posts
"If you have a customer stating their Apple iPhone® 12 (all models: iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max) does not charge when using the wireless charger, please let them know that we are aware of these concerns and are currently looking into it. Replacing the wireless charger or using another iPhone 12 will not address the customer’s concern."

I suspect these charging issues go beyond the iPhone 12. The wireless charger that came on my 2021 Ridgeline is trash. It only charges my Apple AirPods Pro and XS Max for about 10 seconds before the charging stops and the light starts blinking. And, whoever put the status light directly beneath the device being charged should be fired.
Same issue with my Google Pixel 5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed that the wireless charger on my Touring is complete garbage. I can't get my iPhone 12 or my wife's iPhone 11 Max to charge longer for a few seconds before it starts blinking yellow and stops charging.

Seems to be an alignment issue since moving it slightly can correct it for a minute before it happens again.

I know induction charging requires close placement of the antennas, but this is just unusable. What's the point of wireless CarPlay if the charging doesn't work?
Hi I use to work at a Honda dealership there is a service bulletin on the wireless charger for iPhone 12s all models. They’re working on how to fix this problem but at this time you’re better off using a charging cord. I have a 2021 accord sport and I’m experiencing the same thing. Just check in with the dealership periodically to see if there is any update. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It seems like this issue isn't just limited to Honda / Accord models. Similar complaints regarding several newer cell phone models seem to be common on forums for other brands too- with the iPhone 12 models being singled out most frequently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After an addendum to my earlier successful response. To this issue. I’ve used my fix for a couple of months now and I have never lost my connection. It works for me 100% of the time.

Here’s the bottom line. None of these workarounds should even exist. We shouldn’t have to put a piece of foam or something to prevent the phone from being all the way back. We shouldn’t have to angle the phone a certain way. It should just work. I know alignment is crucial, but there are too many workarounds.

My question is, has anyone taken it to the dealer and if so, what did they say?
It’s not the dealership’s issue. If you read my earlier posts it’s because Apple aligned the Qi charger and charger size. That’s why my fix works. iPhone 13 is going to modify the size and orientation of Qi placement to overcome this issue.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid EXL
18 Posts
FYI:

2021 Accord Hybrid EXL wireless charger
iPhone X

I happened to have some of this laying around the house:
Neoprene Foam Strip Roll by Dualplex, 4" Wide x10' Long 1/4" Thick, Weather Seal High Density Stripping with Adhesive Backing – Weather Strip Roll Insulation Foam Strips

I stuck a small strip to the back of the charging bay area and its working great. Apparently its just the right thickness to push my phone towards the exit of the bay to sit in the sweet spot of the charger. My phone doesn't get hot like it used to. It gets warm, but nothing concerning. It does charge, albeit very slowly because I'm using carplay all the time. As an added benefit, this stuff has a bit of cushion to it and is slighly tacky so it seems to help secure the phone a little bit as I hit bumps/curves in the road.

Overall, I am happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My iPhone 12 mini also does not charge. It looked like it was charging when I took the test drive, but now I realize it was because it does charge for a few seconds. I assumed when I saw the charging begin that it was compatible. The amber light will stay on for a few seconds but goes back to amber/green blinking whether I am driving or sitting still. My husband's iPhone XR charges with no problem even though he just tosses it on the pad without even trying to line it up. My iPhone 12 mini will charge with no problem at all on other wireless chargers, so I don't think it is the phone; I think it is the charger.

I noticed that the wireless charger on my Touring is complete garbage. I can't get my iPhone 12 or my wife's iPhone 11 Max to charge longer for a few seconds before it starts blinking yellow and stops charging.

Seems to be an alignment issue since moving it slightly can correct it for a minute before it happens again.

I know induction charging requires close placement of the antennas, but this is just unusable. What's the point of wireless CarPlay if the charging doesn't work?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have had the exact same problem with 2021 Accord Hybrid. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong; it charged two Iphones at the dealer. I had a service rep sit in the car with me and tyr. His 12 charged just fine, my 12 didn't. When I bought the car this was a feature I was very excited about, but it didn't work with my Iphone10, so I stupidly went out an purchased a 12 assuming that was the problem. So now I'm out another $1000 and still can't use the feature. Really sucks that Honda doesn't acknowledge and fix this.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I have had the exact same problem with 2021 Accord Hybrid. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong; it charged two Iphones at the dealer. I had a service rep sit in the car with me and tyr. His 12 charged just fine, my 12 didn't. When I bought the car this was a feature I was very excited about, but it didn't work with my Iphone10, so I stupidly went out an purchased a 12 assuming that was the problem. So now I'm out another $1000 and still can't use the feature. Really sucks that Honda doesn't acknowledge and fix this.
You want Honda to fix your iphon?

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid
29 Posts
Really sucks that Honda doesn't acknowledge and fix this.
I do think that the system should be designed to be more robust vs. different phone designs. The phone type dependency also seems to point the finger back at Apple to a degree.

Like has been mentioned before in this thread, what has worked for some people (including my wife for her iPhone 12 Pro) is to put a 1cm spacer in the far back of the dock to keep the phone in the right spot. When I use my Samsung S8+, I just remove the spacer. Annoying but it worked for us.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
My iPhone XS Max charges fine on $13 Yootech chargers from Amazon, but won't charge in my $43,000 Honda Ridgeline.

My Apple AirPods Pro charge fine on the same, cheap chargers, but won't charge in my Ridgeline.

The result is always the same - the devices charges for a few seconds then the charging stops and the light on the charger blinks. The device's orientation has no effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with my iphone 12 pro my moms galaxy worked. I asked the dealership they told me that the iphone 12 charges at a 15w and the wireless charger is only for 5-10w smh hopefully honda fixes this its such a dumb space now

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
I asked the dealership they told me that the iphone 12 charges at a 15w and the wireless charger is only for 5-10w smh hopefully honda fixes this its such a dumb space now
As is often the case, they're just making stuff up that they don't anything about. :)

The iPhone 12 can charge at up to 15 watts using an Apple MagSafe wireless charger.

The iPhone 12 can charge at up to 7.5 watts using a Qi-compatible wireless charger.

The iPhone 12 does not require a 15 watt charger - it is designed to charge with as little as 5 watts which is the minimum Qi standard.

The Owner's Manual states the wireless charger in the Accord is Qi-compatible and supplies up to 15 watts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As is often the case, they're just making stuff up that they don't anything about. :)

The iPhone 12 can charge at up to 15 watts using an Apple MagSafe wireless charger.

The iPhone 12 can charge at up to 7.5 watts using a Qi-compatible wireless charger.

The iPhone 12 does not require a 15 watt charger - it is designed to charge with as little as 5 watts which is the minimum Qi standard.

The Owner's Manual states the wireless charger in the Accord is Qi-compatible and supplies up to 15 watts.
damnnnn, once again honda lied to me 😪

61 - 80 of 102 Posts