Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the weekend I temporarily mounted the OEM front deflector to get an idea what it would look like. I didn't use the sticky mounts yet because I wanted to be sure. So it is taped on.

My feelings are mixed. I am not sure I want to stick the 7 mounts (3m tape) to the hood. I keep thinking if I don't like this thing after 6 months its going to suck removing those mounts and it could cause a lot of scratches into the hood removing the mounts with goo gone.

I think I'm going to return it. Your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a similar one. About 2 inches shorter on each end. It mounted under the rubber seal on the hood. We removed 4 plastic fasteners and replaced with SS screws. Looking for a pict now.

It has saved my hood IMHO.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's not the worst thing I've seen put on the 9th Gen. I kinda like it. But the contrast in colors is too much maybe.
And I agree, removing the adhesive down the road would be a pain, if not detrimental to the paint.
Sorry, not much help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I agree, removing the adhesive down the road would be a pain, if not detrimental to the paint.
Sorry, not much help.
Yep. And these mounting pads are not small. Three of the seven are 1" x 2" and the other four are 1" x 1".

The entire bottom of each pad is the sticky tape. It would be difficult to remove. I think its ridiculous Honda couldn't come up with a better design. I saw that the Ridgeline uses holes under the lip of the hood and longer brackets. Why not the Accord?

May have to just cave and get clear bra or nothing at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a similar one. About 2 inches shorter on each end. It mounted under the rubber seal on the hood. We removed 4 plastic fasteners and replaced with SS screws. Looking for a pict now.

It has saved my hood IMHO.

Is this the "Carflector" made by Lund? Because I may order that too and try it instead.

Your pic didn't show up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this the "Carflector" made by Lund? Because I may order that too and try it instead.

Your pic didn't show up.
Try now.

AVS

·
Registered
335 Posts
^ Agreed. :(

Maybe if your clear was black. And even then, maybe. The way I see it... either a clear bra, or nothing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone else out there thinking about the OEM deflector. Before purchasing be aware you will have to attach all of these black pads to your hood. I attached a pic of them taped on.

I'm not going to do this. I am going to try the other deflector.

Attachments

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
For anyone else out there thinking about the OEM deflector. Before purchasing be aware you will have to attach all of these black pads to your hood. I attached a pic of them taped on.

I'm not going to do this. I am going to try the other deflector.
I don't mind the looks, but this mounting system is absurd. You'd think that OEM accessories would by definition integrate nicely with the car (and hence the customer's willingness to shell out a silly premium over aftermarket). I have never seen an OEM deflector that is attached by a whole mess of adhesive pads; they normally connect by hardware under the hood. WTF.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
You'd be much better off just having a clear bra installed.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
AeroSkin FWIW.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It looks ugly. What are protecting it from? I had a bra of my 1988 Prelude until it got wet and became a pain to put on and take off. Neither it nor my 2000 Accord Coupe has anything on the hood except the paint that came of the car. Same with my wife's 07 Fit. Worst case scenario is take the car to a reputable body shop should you get chips in the hood and pay to have them repaint the forward edge every couple of years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks ugly. What are protecting it from? I had a bra of my 1988 Prelude until it got wet and became a pain to put on and take off. Neither it nor my 2000 Accord Coupe has anything on the hood except the paint that came of the car. Same with my wife's 07 Fit. Worst case scenario is take the car to a reputable body shop should you get chips in the hood and pay to have them repaint the forward edge every couple of years.
Simply trying to prevent rock ships. This car rides low and that very front part of the hood is rather exposed. Here in Denver it is going to get beat up pretty bad from the excessive sand and rock they lay down for winter (its absurd really).

Won't need it so much in the summer though. So it would be nice to have the option to remove it during summer. But this would look stupid with the pads.

Everyone claims "CLEAR BRA". But I've had this done and every time the installer seem to cut the paint and its expensive. For the price of a clear bra you could paint the hood.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I would not install this deflector If I were you. I have one on my Frontier, but it is mounted to the under side of the hood. I have the option of removing it if I want without doing any damage to the hood.

I put the clear bra on my 2001 Miata and just as you said, they cut the paint in one area. I just got my car out of the paint shop from having the black on the lower part of the grill and the rear reflector panel painted to match the car. They said they would be glad to do any touch up on my car as it becomes necessary. I'll just leave mine stock and pay to repair it when it does become necessary.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not install this deflector If I were you. I have one on my Frontier, but it is mounted to the under side of the hood. I have the option of removing it if I want without doing any damage to the hood.

I put the clear bra on my 2001 Miata and just as you said, they cut the paint in one area. I just got my car out of the paint shop from having the black on the lower part of the grill and the rear reflector panel painted to match the car. They said they would be glad to do any touch up on my car as it becomes necessary. I'll just leave mine stock and pay to repair it when it does become necessary.
Yes, even though you think they are not cutting your paint, they are if you look closely.

No clear bra for me this time around. Like I stated you could probably paint any damage for the same as a the price of a clear bra.

·
Honda Tech
146 Posts
Ill put an aftermarket deflector on any day instead of painting my hood. Looks like the OEM is made just to never come off. At 10000 miles here in WV im all chipped up. Might even trade it in it bugs me so bad.

·
Registered
408 Posts
XPel VentureShield FTW! (Clear bra.) :thmsup:

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
They sell the clear bra pre cut, so no knife will come near your car. Just have to get a good installer. I recommend getting the entire hood and the front portion of your fenders covered. You can barley see it.

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
AVS is a cheap solution to not getting a clear bra if you want to protect just the hood. I have the AVS on mine and it's been on there for about a year with no issues, and protects the hood from getting chipped. I actually like the look of it. If you want to protect the entire front bumper, get the clear bra.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts