Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I recently purchased a 2014 Accord EXL V6 Sport with 56K miles. So far I am very impressed with this car, good power, quite ride and hopefully very dependable. It only had the key fob for driver 2 so I purchased a key fob for driver 1 and had it programmed ath the local honda dealer. The dealer charged $130 to program the fob which I thought was very spendy keep in mind that didn't icnlude the cost of the fob which I purchased separately. While the car was in the shop the dealer stated the transmission fluid should be changed at 60K miles at a cost of $150. I usually do most of the maintenance on my vehicles and am considering to be a decent mechanic and am considering doing the transmission fluid change myself. I question how effective this would be considering only about 3 quarts of fluid would be drained from the transmission. I would assume the dealer would do a flush and replace all the transmission fluid. If that's correct it might be worth the $150 to let the dealer do the fluid change. I would like to get thoughts on this from forum members who are probably more familiar with these vehicles than I am.

Thanks

·
HK Moderator
13,430 Posts
Welcome.

What's your dealer's phone number? I will call and ask them, and report back my findings.

If they only do one drain and fill procedure, then only 42% of your automatic transmission fluid will be new. Since you bought the car used, and do not have maintenance records, it might be a good idea to do 3 drain and fill procedure- each one about a 100 miles apart. This will give you about 78% new fluid.

Honda does not say you must change your ATF at 60K- your dealer does.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,421 Posts
New to forum and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I recently purchased a 2014 Accord EXL V6 Sport with 56K miles. So far I am very impressed with this car, good power, quite ride and hopefully very dependable. It only had the key fob for driver 2 so I purchased a key fob for driver 1 and had it programmed ath the local honda dealer. The dealer charged $130 to program the fob which I thought was very spendy keep in mind that didn't icnlude the cost of the fob which I purchased separately. While the car was in the shop the dealer stated the transmission fluid should be changed at 60K miles at a cost of $150. I usually do most of the maintenance on my vehicles and am considering to be a decent mechanic and am considering doing the transmission fluid change myself. I question how effective this would be considering only about 3 quarts of fluid would be drained from the transmission. I would assume the dealer would do a flush and replace all the transmission fluid. If that's correct it might be worth the $150 to let the dealer do the fluid change. I would like to get thoughts on this from forum members who are probably more familiar with these vehicles than I am.

Thanks
I wouldn't assume that. The dealership will take all your money if you let them ("spendy").

·
Cruising in Montana
3,533 Posts
I usually do most of the maintenance on my vehicles and am considering to be a decent mechanic and am considering doing the transmission fluid change myself.
Do it yourself. On most Honda's, it's easier than changing the oil. Do as RickBlaine suggested above. Honda ATF (called DW-1) isn't very expensive, you just drain & fill with 3.x quarts. Do that 3 times and you're good.

The dealer may hook up a machine that truly replaces all the fluid, but what if they don't and charge you for it anyway? If you do it, you know it's been done.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Post # 12 of this thread - https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/transmission-issues.549510/#post-6758075 - ea. d/f will give 44,66,83,92% (approximately.) newer fluid, think in terms as dilution not quantity. The dealer only does 1 d/f unless they use a flush machine which Honda says NOT to do. Even when a machine is used, it takes 12 qts. of new fluid to get 100%. Dealers often use the term "flush" as marketing, then they just do a d/f.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
I don't know any Honda dealer that does a complete "flush" and you should not do a transmission flush, EVER, on a Honda transmission. You are paying a single drain and fill of 3 qts of trans fluid for $150. The proper way of getting most of the old fluid out is drain and fill 3 times. 4 times if you want complete new fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome.

What's your dealer's phone number? I will call and ask them, and report back my findings.

If they only do one drain and fill procedure, then only 42% of your automatic transmission fluid will be new. Since you bought the car used, and do not have maintenance records, it might be a good idea to do 3 drain and fill procedure- each one about a 100 miles apart. This will give you about 78% new fluid.

Thanks for offering to call the dealer but I called them myself and they stated they do not do a flush as it is not recommended by Honda. What they do is a single drain and fill which I feel I can do myself at a far less cost.

Do it yourself. On most Honda's, it's easier than changing the oil. Do as RickBlaine suggested above. Honda ATF (called DW-1) isn't very expensive, you just drain & fill with 3.x quarts. Do that 3 times and you're good.

The dealer may hook up a machine that truly replaces all the fluid, but what if they don't and charge you for it anyway? If you do it, you know it's been done.
Thanks for the response. I agree drain and fill is simple enough and I can do myself at far less cost.

I wouldn't assume that. The dealership will take all your money if you let them ("spendy").
Thanks for the response. I spoke with the service manager and he stated they do a fill and drain no flush as it is not recommended by Honda.

Post # 12 of this thread - https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/transmission-issues.549510/#post-6758075 - ea. d/f will give 44,66,83,92% (approximately.) newer fluid, think in terms as dilution not quantity. The dealer only does 1 d/f unless they use a flush machine which Honda says NOT to do. Even when a machine is used, it takes 12 qts. of new fluid to get 100%. Dealers often use the term "flush" as marketing, then they just do a d/f.
Thanks for your response. I agree with you I will perform the drain and fill myself.

I don't know any Honda dealer that does a complete "flush" and you should not do a transmission flush, EVER, on a Honda transmission. You are paying a single drain and fill of 3 qts of trans fluid for $150. The proper way of getting most of the old fluid out is drain and fill 3 times. 4 times if you want complete new fluid.
Thanks for your response. After speaking with the service manager it is true they do a single drain and fill which I can do at a much lower cost.

·
HK Moderator
13,430 Posts
You can probably do a single drain and fill at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome.

The Maintenance reminder in your car request the ATF drain and fill, not your dealer. Dealer's do charge a hell of a lot for such a simple task and inexpensive fluid, so do it yourself. Or if you're old like me just say to hell with it and let them do it, mine charged $130 for it. BTW, I've owned a lot of automatics (the first, a 53 Mercury) over the years and I’ve never had to do this procedure and have never had problems with any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Like a couple people said, do it yourself. It's so easy. One tip is to remove the dipstick before draining otherwise it spurts out wildly. Never happened to me, but a friend told me...haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently got a quote from my local Honda dealer for the 3 step trans fluid flush for $427. It needed the flush (3 drains, 3 refills) instead of the service (1 drain and refill) because the fluid was never changed before we bought the car (123K miles). I decided to do it myself. I've done one 1 drain and refill so far and plan to do another within the next week or 2.

As a side note, the fluid that we drained out looked like black coffee. The transmission shifted much smoother after that single drain and refill.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently got a quote from my local Honda dealer for the 3 step trans fluid flush for $427. It needed the flush (3 drains, 3 refills) instead of the service (1 drain and refill) because the fluid was never changed before we bought the car (123K miles). I decided to do it myself. I've done one 1 drain and refill so far and plan to do another within the next week or 2.

As a side note, the fluid that we drained out looked like black coffee. The transmission shifted much smoother after that single drain and refill.
I sent mine to Blackstone to get some data. It came back fine. I did the 3x drain and fill and it feels like the car upshifts much more quickly than before. I'm finding myself needing to downshift more than I used to. Overall it's smoother.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everyone probably does it differently...... here’s my method, using a four-wheel hydraulic floor jack.

Chock rear wheels....

Jack the front of the car (there’s a central jack point both front and rear.)

Place jack stands at the two front jack points, lower front onto stands.

Place pan under engine and remove the transmission drain plug. Careful.... the fluid will shoot out about eight inches from the drain hole..... then slow to a steady flow straight down, then begin dripping.

Using center-rear jack point, raise rear of car to approximately level position. When fluid quits flowing freely (begins dripping) raise and then lower rear slowly to see if more fluid pours out. You can look under the car from the back..... no need to run back and fourth. When dripping stops, lower rear of car to floor.

Clean and replace drain plug using new washer.

Remove jack stands and lower front of car to floor.

Measure amount of fluid that drained out (it will be 3+ quarts). Replace with same amount of new fluid. This step is critical, in my mind. It’s very difficult to use the stick to determine how much new fluid to pour in because it needs to be hot.....not just drive around the block hot either. And overfilling can damage the transmission.

Clean up your mess, pat yourself on the back for saving $100, and pop a cool one to celebrate.

Easy huh?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Everyone probably does it differently...... here’s my method, using a four-wheel hydraulic floor jack.

Chock rear wheels....

Jack the front of the car (there’s a central jack point both front and rear.)

Place jack stands at the two front jack points, lower front onto stands.

Place pan under engine and remove the transmission drain plug. Careful.... the fluid will shoot out about eight inches from the drain hole..... then slow to a steady flow straight down, then begin dripping.

Using center-rear jack point, raise rear of car to approximately level position. When fluid quits flowing freely (begins dripping) raise and then lower rear slowly to see if more fluid pours out. You can look under the car from the back..... no need to run back and fourth. When dripping stops, lower rear of car to floor.

Clean and replace drain plug using new washer.

Remove jack stands and lower front of car to floor.

Measure amount of fluid that drained out (it will be 3+ quarts). Replace with same amount of new fluid. This step is critical, in my mind. It’s very difficult to use the stick to determine how much new fluid to pour in because it needs to be hot.....not just drive around the block hot either. And overfilling can damage the transmission.

Clean up your mess, pat yourself on the back for saving $100, and pop a cool one to celebrate.

Easy huh?
I like the idea of tipping up the rear of the car. Great suggestion.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
This isn't a suggestion, just a question. Is it at all possible to put a thin vacuum line into the tran dipstick tube and pull out even more than a simple 1 cycle drain can do? Are there transmission "restart" issues when attempting this?

I note that on the CVT (10g) that there is no dipstick at all, however. By the time my car needs a d/f the info will probably be in the wild and I won't need to heed the manual:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts