Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am plan on getting the 10th generation Honda Accord 1.5T Sport SE. However, few of my mechanic friends had mentioned to me they wouldn't recommend it since turbo tend to cause problem later down the line. Curious, does anyone have issue with their vehicle? And what are tge mileage on your vehicle?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about it. Honda has had turbos for a long time. It’s just they’ve just decided not to put them in their mainstream cars until recently (Civic, CRV and Accord).
Is it going to last as long as the NA J35 V6 or the legendary K24 without issues? Probably not. But those can easily go 200k-300k miles with good maintenance. Honda isn’t stupid, I doubt they would put their reputation in jeopardy by going turbo if they have any hesitancy on possible issues during the expected usable life (for at least the first owner) especially since the 1.5t is produced for literally hundreds of thousands of cars. In fact, I’ll be shocked if they didn’t have any sort of internal testing on the longevity of their turbos before pushing them out. They know it’s good stuff.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
A lot of auto mfg. are doing turbos now, some of the early ones years ago could be problematic if the owner let the engine get low on oil. If it is that much of a concern then buy a Toyota Camry.

·
VCM DELETE
946 Posts
Thats just a myth, I have a 2007 Audi with the Original Borg-Warner turbo on it with 15 years old and 204,000mi, never an issue. Full boost still if I want to whirl it up.
Like anything else, things break, hard to predict, but turbos arent usually a problem with cars.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,222 Posts
We have a thread on here where a couple of 2.0T owners reported turbo failure, but I don't recall seeing any for the 1.5T.

Worst case scenario, you will have a warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have turbo aversion, you may want to buy a car now. It seems just about all of the manufacturers are going to turbos as a means of creating power in a fuel-efficient way.

·
Turbo lag
1,934 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, the technology is very mature at this point. The first car with turbocharging was a Chevy?, and that happened in the 60s. What is true is that because there's more parts, there's a greater possibility of something breaking. But that is all modern cars when compared with older ones.

Just make sure to keep up with oil changes and you'll be fine. Sure a NA engine can probably go 80,000 mile before it dies where a turbo engine might only go 20,000 miles before it dies, but if you're going that long between oil changes, you probably shouldn't own a car anyways.

·
port & polish everything
1,655 Posts
My sister's Odyssey had a piston re-ringed due to VCM misfires. Replacing a turbo is easier than that job.

Reactions: skisurf1

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am plan on getting the 10th generation Honda Accord 1.5T Sport SE. However, few of my mechanic friends had mentioned to me they wouldn't recommend it since turbo tend to cause problem later down the line. Curious, does anyone have issue with their vehicle? And what are tge mileage on your vehicle?
That is a relative thing. Compared to naturally aspired Honda engines from the past, yes, probably will have more issues and/or more maintenance necessary. But on the other hand, if you compare them to current times from other makers of turbo engines, like Chevy, VW, Kia...there's a very high chance Honda's turbo engines will last longer and will be cheaper to own. Again, it's relative based on what you're comparing it to. It's not the same if you compare it to Honda's 2.4 VTEC from 20 years ago and if you compare it to Chevy's 2.0T in let's say Malibu (or VW's 2.0T in whatever). Relative is the key term here.

Yeah…your best bet is to let other car companies try out this turbo thing Honda just invented. Your mechanic friends all are 100 percent right. I am surprised they have time to talk to you while working so hard fixing 1994 Camrys.
Real nice. He asked a very normal question. If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, keep scrolling.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We have a thread on here where a couple of 2.0T owners reported turbo failure, but I don't recall seeing any for the 1.5T.

Worst case scenario, you will have a warranty.
I think their circumstances were pretty specific as well. high altitude driving put extra stress on the turbo struggling to generate boost at altitudes at or above 5000ft. Given that even this seems to be a rare occurrence under those conditions, the factory turbo seems to be pretty reliable.

@hoangx87

The 10th gen Accord is now 4 years old. I remember seeing 10th gen Civics in showrooms as early as mid 2016, which would make that 5.5 years old. If we haven't seen significant complaints about either model in this time, it should be safe to assume that they are just as reliable as naturally aspirated motors. This website has over 2200 threads about the 10th gen Accord with over 87,000 posts, if turbo failure was a common issue, it would be a hot topic here.

Reactions: NoEgo

·
The Shadow II
2021 HAH Touring in MSM
453 Posts
It is an indisputable fact that cars with turbo engines experience more turbo-related problems than naturally aspirated models.
Are you sure? Got any statistics to back that up? /Sarcasm

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
I am surprised they have time to talk to you while working so hard fixing 1994 Camrys.
Their mechanic must be Scotty Kilmer...

·
8th Gen Believer
4,320 Posts
I've had two turbo cars, a 1984 Mercedes turbodiesel and a 1990 Volvo gas turbo. The Mercedes had almost 300k miles when I sold it, the Volve 180. This is old technology, I never had a lick of trouble with the turbo units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have a 2.0, I’d stay out of the mountains, coming out the south gate of Yellowstone national park, passing up a mountain my 2018 touring 2.0. It smoked a turbo at 70k miles. All in cost wise, it cost me over $5000 to get it repaired and back to Houston. I sold it a few days later.
Wifes 2015 cr-v locked the motor two days after it turned 50k miles, we were just over the 5 years part of the warranty.
Those we our 5th and 6th new Honda’s and our last.
Were now driving my 2003 f150 with 245k miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts