Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering the V6 Coupe 6MT - does it have a timing belt or chain? If belt what is replacement interval?

Thanks

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
I can confirm my 7th gen had a belt. I had it replaced at 102k. I would feel strongly that the 13 has a belt as well.

For some reason, I think the 4 bangers have a chain which is strange. What is the deciding factor for a car to have a chain vs belt?

Noise?
Weight?
slack?
wear?
hazards if it slips?

Side note: Do the CVT transmissions have belts that need to be changed? or any parts that need to be changed due to wear? I only have a general idea of how the CVT works, and I tend to believe that its a belt type of system.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The i4's are DOHC designs whereas the V6 is SOHC. I wonder if this is the reason for the timing chain vs. timing belt??

The CVT's only required maintenance is fluid changes. The belt is not a wear item and is designed to last the life of the CVT from what I understand.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
1. I had a subaru Legacy 2.5GT that had a timing belt in which I changed myself, and it was DOHC. So I dont think that particularly matters.

2. Hmmm Interesting, I was nervous about a CVT transmission because I thought it required more maintenance. I will have to go look into this in more detail.

If I had to go out on a limb and muster up a guess the difference between timing chain and timing belt...

Timing belt: Its quieter, and has less rotational mass for more performance. With a V6 there is more torque. The belt can stretch and retract with the slam of the throttle. This helps so that the drive does not feel the jerk of the slack in the belt.

Timing Chain: Its heavier and makes more noise but it might be put on smaller engines because the smaller engines don't have the torque to stretch the chain inconsistently and cause even more noise and jerkyness.

If you have ever riding a motorcycle with a loose chain you can feel the effect. If you pop too many wheelies you can sometimes have these loose and tight spots in a chain. Where as a belt has a bit of elasticity to it and can deform without direct negative effects. you just need to replace it over time.

but who knows, I could be completely wrong.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Am considering the V6 Coupe 6MT - does it have a timing belt or chain? If belt what is replacement interval?

Thanks
V6 has a timing belt and normal change out is 105K miles or 160K km. If you don't know how to do the job, the cost is anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on what parts are changed. Toyota V6 engines have chain and they are very quiet and reliable. I guess someone needs to make a boat payment.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Many cars have timing belts including my 2000 Accord V6. Usually the timing belt change interval is 100k miles. When having the timing belt changed replace the water pump. While the front of the engine is opened up you might as well change the water pump since most of the cost is the labor to get to the water pump if it failed the day after replacing the timing belt. The current V6 engine in the Accord is a derivative of the engine in the 2000 Accord which has a timing belt. Honda's newer design engines have timing chains such as the single overhead cam 1.5 liter engine in my wife's 07 Honda Fit or the 2.4 liter dual overhead cam four in the Accord.

The CVT transmission has a steel belt which should not require replacement. The CVT is the transmission of the future because it allows the engine to operate at the optimum RPM over a large speed range to increase fuel economy and performance. The next generation Fit and Civic are all being offered with a CVT automatic transmission. CVT transmissions have been in Honda models in other countries since 2000. It is not a new technology. Honda has built a CVT transmission factory in Ohio and is building one in Mexico next to their new Honda Fit plant.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
V6 has a timing belt and normal change out is 105K miles or 160K km. If you don't know how to do the job, the cost is anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on what parts are changed. Toyota V6 engines have chain and they are very quiet and reliable. I guess someone needs to make a boat payment.
My local Honda Dealer has a special right now for a timing belt and waterpump change on a V6 for $539. Reg price is $775. Maybe this coupon can help someone get a better deal locally?

Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all. Price is reasonable and certainly lower than my 2.0T Passat ($1200), I believe due to the cramped space and sideways layout.

It's V6 6MT all the way for me - drove one 3 weeks ago and loved it - smooth, quiet, powerful and shifted great!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The fact that the I4 has a timing chain as opposed to a timing belt was one factor considered in my purchase. Also I cannot reasonably justify the price increase of the V6 as well as the significant drop in MPG's.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
If you truly love to drive, the I4 just has a huge hole in power. I even drove the new Kia Optima with the turbo... Still.... It felt lacking. As soon as I stepped foot in the new coupe V6, I said, this is my car. real useable power.

A vehicle doesn't get me from point A to point B. Its a hobby, and every time I drive I am happy.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you truly love to drive, the I4 just has a huge hole in power. I even drove the new Kia Optima with the turbo... Still.... It felt lacking. As soon as I stepped foot in the new coupe V6, I said, this is my car. real useable power.

A vehicle doesn't get me from point A to point B. Its a hobby, and every time I drive I am happy.
Where is the hole in the power? The I4 has a very flat torque curve and delivers power remarkably well for a 2.4 liter engine, even with CVT. Of course the V6 will perform better because it's got more cubic centimeters and horsepower.

·
Banned
784 Posts
My local Honda Dealer has a special right now for a timing belt and waterpump change on a V6 for $539. Reg price is $775. Maybe this coupon can help someone get a better deal locally?

Jay
This looks like a good deal. I change my own TB so the price is not an issue. Regardless, the price is not including hydraulic tensioner, idle pulley, drive belt as these genuine Honda parts will run $200. The TB parts for me costs around $350-400 and 6-8 hours of labor. I think the job takes a seasoned mechanic 3 hours to do the TB job so $539 is a super good deal and hopefully they change them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts