Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the insurance company (Geico) finally fixed 2014 Honda Accord LX after i crashed into a deer. They changed the radiator and i think they changed my FREON (I thought it's called RA-14 or R-14A something like that). Now when i turn the AC on an leave the fan on the first speed while on park, the condenser comes on and off repeatedly, but the AC does get cool though. I'm pretty sure it does the same thing when it's on higher speeds but i just can't hear it.

Also, when i put the fan the highest speed without turning on the AC, i hear a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK sound coming from the trunk area. I was thinking that the mechanics at the auto body shop must have tried to open the latch to invert the back seats..

These aren't normal things, are they? The condenser just can't keep doing that loudly when park nor should i be hearing a knocking sound.

I'd like to add that i only have 7K miles on the car, so my Bumper to Bumper, power train and Honda Care warranties are still intact.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's not the condenser turning on and off. You mean compressor. And yes, depending on the climate control setting it will cycle fairly quickly. It should make a noticeable "click" sound but not knocking or any other strange noises when it's running. Check that nothing is interfering with the cooling fan blades. As for the knocking in your trunk, does it happen when you drive or are idling? I'm guessing it's unrelated to the AC as there are no climate control components back there, except for the rear defrost. Must be something not tightened up. Like you said, may be the seat backs. Pull the release in the trunk, fold the seat and then return it to the latched position.

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
So the insurance company (Geico) finally fixed 2014 Honda Accord LX after i crashed into a deer. They changed the radiator and i think they changed my FREON (I thought it's called RA-14 or R-14A something like that). Now when i turn the AC on an leave the fan on the first speed while on park, the condenser comes on and off repeatedly, but the AC does get cool though. I'm pretty sure it does the same thing when it's on higher speeds but i just can't hear it.

Also, when i put the fan the highest speed without turning on the AC, i hear a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK sound coming from the trunk area. I was thinking that the mechanics at the auto body shop must have tried to open the latch to invert the back seats..

These aren't normal things, are they? The condenser just can't keep doing that loudly when park nor should i be hearing a knocking sound.

I'd like to add that i only have 7K miles on the car, so my Bumper to Bumper, power train and Honda Care warranties are still intact.
Better have that checked out since the 2014 uses R-134a,. R-14 is banned from use unless there is documentation that the leak has been fixed and will not work in the new A/C systems. Compression of the 14 is WAY different than the 134 and will destroy the A/C system.

Honda used to use R12 up until 1994? anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the condenser turning on and off. You mean compressor. And yes, depending on the climate control setting it will cycle fairly quickly. It should make a noticeable "click" sound but not knocking or any other strange noises when it's running. Check that nothing is interfering with the cooling fan blades. As for the knocking in your trunk, does it happen when you drive or are idling? I'm guessing it's unrelated to the AC as there are no climate control components back there, except for the rear defrost. Must be something not tightened up. Like you said, may be the seat backs. Pull the release in the trunk, fold the seat and then return it to the latched position.
Thanks for your reply!
I've been trying to fold the seat all day and it doesn't even fold. I pull the latch but nothing happens. The seats simply refuse to move.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You may need to pull the lever and then push the seat down from inside the trunk. It's not spring-assisted or anything. It sometimes will just re-latch as soon as you pull the lever, at least mine does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may need to pull the lever and then push the seat down from inside the trunk. It's not spring-assisted or anything. It sometimes will just re-latch as soon as you pull the lever, at least mine does.
THANK YOU! That worked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts