Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to see what other members do when transporting their pets.

Before I bought my Accord, I would just let my dog roam free in the back seat of my beater 97 Camry. Now that I have a new car, I have been taking precautions to avoid getting scratches and hair around. I know hair is inevitable with having a pet, but I'm trying to minimize how much gets left between the seats and on the floor and such.

On longer trips I have been putting an old bed sheet across the back and a towel on the middle arm rest (becasue he sometimes steps on that).

I have also purchased a seat cover to prevent hair from getting into the nooks in the back seat. One like this:

He's a 70 pound Pit mix btw, so using a crate is not an option haha

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
In the trunk...

Jay

;)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I just let our Black Lab be in the back seat without any covering. I think cleaning up hair, paw prints and nose prints on the windows is less of a PIA than trying to cover the seat. She is a great traveler, BTW. Wish we could take her everywhere. The thing I worry most about is her being unrestrained, both for her sake and ours. Allready dumped her off the 2nd row seat in our Odyssey when I got on the binders to avoid a deer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 8 month old white lab and i bought a seat cover. Her hair still flies around everywhere..its bad on my black sport interior.

She has anxiety while driving, so she usually spends her time pacing around, facing backwards, and pushing the seat cover off and sitting on the actual seat. Its highly annoying. I wish i had gotten an SUV now, so that i could just put a crate in the back.

·
4,637 Posts
Feed him/her some quality dog food. At a minimum some Purina One food. Sure helps cut down the shedding. Not only in the car but the home as well. What a difference.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Here is my setup for my 6 month yellow lab:

1. Honda OEM Rear Seat Cover (see review in sig)

2. Kurgo Car Door Gaurd:

3. Safety Harness:

The Honda seat cover is great. Door gaurds word well, and the harness is really only to limit his movement (the amount of added safety for the dog is debatable). I also have weathertech floor liners in the rear (not that he can get down there).

·
lookin' clean
491 Posts
i just vacuum every once in a while.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That door guard that Gator CR2 mentioned is a good idea. At this point, I've accepted that there will be hair everywhere, I am just worried about my dog scratching the door panel or plastic.

I guess I could invest in some Paddie's Pub Kitten Mittons, haha

·
Registered
185 Posts
For short trips our 15 pound Bichon rides in the seat with no protection. For long trips we have a cover that hangs from the front seat and rear seat headrest. This protects the seats and prevents him from falling to the floor in the event of a sudden stop.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Honda Accessory back seat cover. I have 2 55lbs dogs that I take to the dog park at least weekly in the back seat of my accord. They get dirty from running around, but the neoprene cover protects very well and is super easy to clean.

·
1,655 Posts
These are pretty good. It provides a little more mobility for the pooch, which can be a mixed bag,

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use an old comforter. give him a treat and make his behind lay down. then 5 min of calmness dog i find that half his body is hanging off the seat with the front half laying on the arm rest.... i might have to get a restraint.

EX-L Coupe

·
Registered
209 Posts
my aunt uses a hammock type thing. its made for dogs. its basically a tarp made of good heavy canvas. it connects to the back seat headrests only when folded then you unfold it and half stays connected to the back seat and half to the front seats. it works really well. a local pet store or even wallmart should have it. she has a mix of a king shepperd / rotty who is about 140lbs. hes like a king riding around in the back of her vw.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A note about dog seat belts: I've been using basic ones from the pet store for years, but I'm upgrading mine since reading about the study Subaru conducted on some high-test seat belts for dogs:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303918804579109453572788042#printMode

The actual study is here, and the punchline is that only one of the 11 tested systems had no catastrophic failures:

http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/2013-harness-study-results/

This is apparently the first third-party comprehensive crash test on dog safety belts. The opening price is around $100 for a number of the harnesses on the list (including the one that came closest to passing all tests).

·
Registered
901 Posts
Like this...he sleeps sitting up usually. Loves the car. :thmsup:

Attachments

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I let her drive so I can sleep. The downside is that she can't shift worth a damn. I am a horrible back seat driver.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 on the cat...
My youngsters go in a carrier.
The old timer sleeps on the passenger floorboard.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Doesn't matter what i put down this beast gets hair everywhere. She sheds no matter what high quality food she gets lol. Wouldn't trade her for anything tho. I just vacuum the hair when it gets bad. I don't even bother with coverings unless her paws are muddy then I'll put a blanket down or something. But for owners with tinted windows depending on your dog make sure you clean their drool or nose marks off asap. At least with mine if i don't my tint gets damaged and it does weird stuff to it lol.

This is also what we get from a typical brushing sometimes less tho but more if she's blowing her coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
My bud Brownie rides on the drivers seat looking out the window. He's a perv though. He's always barking at hairy bitches on the way to the park

1 - 20 of 40 Posts