Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going to make a long post and vent. this is the backstory. my question is below. So my sister left her an 04 EX i4 AT with 156K miles at my house and went to Hawaii for 3 weeks. she told me in the mean time to work on it, in exchange she'll help me move out of my house and stuff when she comes back and I go on my business trip. This is not my daily driver and I usually don't work on it. it usually goes to a local shop where she lives for inspections and oil changes.

I just recently sold my 07 accord but still have some honda fluids left including ATF, and PS so did a bunch of stuff.

Did an oil change. Of course the filter was put on by hercules and I had to get one of those strap contraptions to take it off. no issues there otherwise

Power steering fluid - just pumped out whatever was in the reservoir and put in a bottle of new stuff. stuff was gross, pitch black and don't think it was ever changed.

cabin air filter - pretty gross too.

I don't know how people can treat their cars like this- the day i sold my car it drove and felt like brand new. always kept the fluids fresh and never had an issue. I had to shop vac the inside because it just had so much dust and crap all over the place. check engine light is on for a knock sensor, tires are dry rotting, rotors shudder, ugh! and worst of all, AC doesn't work!!!!!! Maybe i should say something sexist here because my wife treats her car the same way but i'm always on top of it, but i'll refrain lol. I know there are many women on this board that treat their cars very well.

QUESTION PART :)
Now comes the ATF part and my question.

when i drained the transmission fluid, only 2.1 quarts came out :eek:

I decided to put about 2.6 quarts back in but afraid of overfilling. reading the ATF dipstick is a pain. it looks like it's somewhere in the middle now.

What should I do? I still have about about .4 of a bottle left. i remember whenever I did this on my accord i had to fill 3.1 quarts exactly, all the time. does ATF burn up? did the last person who did it didn't fill up enough? really need help in this department.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
It should be 3 quarts, give or take a few ounces....

Just to clarify: Where you on level ground, or the front end jacked up? How long did you let it drain? One minute? 10 minutes? Did you have the dipstick/filler removed while it drained to aide in the rapid draining of the ATF?

You know your way around a wrench- so I will assume the car was level AND you let it drain 10 minutes.

What color was the fluid? Any metal shavings on the magnetic plug?

Yes, it is possible she took it to Jiffy Lube (or anywhere else) and they drained 3 quarts but only put 2.1 back in. 3 quarts (give or take a couple of ounces) should have drained out.

What is the exact procedure you are doing to read the dipstick? Is the ATF warm, hot, cold? Is the engine running or shut off? How long was it shut off? One minute? One hour?

Edit: I didn't grow up with sisters, but when I began dating women that had their own apartments either alone or with other female room mates, I noticed that several were bigger slobs than most of my male buddies. When my nieces visit they trash my house....towels on the bathroom floor, half drunk water bottles hidden all over the Accord, and mystery foods gone bad wrapped in my fridge. Sometimes I take pictures of their left behind clothing items (WTF is it with them and socks?) and make listings on Craigslist such as "Single socks of a Forgetful Niece - $100" and then send them the link. They laugh at me- they know I love them and won't sell their stuff. They have broken me....I am...a shell of a man. :( I am...Uncle!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be 3 quarts, give or take a few ounces....

Just to clarify: Where you on level ground, or the front end jacked up? How long did you let it drain? One minute? 10 minutes? Did you have the dipstick/filler removed while it drained to aide in the rapid draining of the ATF?

You know your way around a wrench- so I will assume the car was level AND you let it drain 10 minutes.

What color was the fluid? Any metal shavings on the magnetic plug?

Yes, it is possible she took it to Jiffy Lube (or anywhere else) and they drained 3 quarts but only put 2.1 back in. 3 quarts (give or take a couple of ounces) should have drained out.

What is the exact procedure you are doing to read the dipstick? Is the ATF warm, hot, cold? Is the engine running or shut off? How long was it shut off? One minute? One hour?
Yep, i let it drain 10 minutes if not more and it was on rhino ramps. i don't think i had the dipstick removed to help in the draining. think the rhino ramps would have prevented a whole quart from draining though? If i remember correctly, i used rhimo ramps with my previous accord to d&f the atf fluid and usually got around 3 quarts. I might try this again on monday without the ramps just to see if i get any more than what i put in. I'll probably put about 70 miles on it by then so hopefully i'll be draining out more of the old cruddy stuff.

A TON of metal shavings, more than i ever had on my 07. Fluid was a darker red, but i've seen worse.

engine is hot, drive it around the block, quick spin up to 55 down to 0 at a traffic light. shut off for a minute. check dipstick. always had trouble doing this to be honest though. i tried a few times and read it anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes after shutoff. other times i would just leave it idle for a minute then shut off and then check.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Now comes the ATF part and my question.

when i drained the transmission fluid, only 2.1 quarts came out :eek:

I decided to put about 2.6 quarts back in but afraid of overfilling. reading the ATF dipstick is a pain. it looks like it's somewhere in the middle now.

What should I do? I still have about about .4 of a bottle left.
Pour it in. It was low before you drained it.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It doesn't matter how much came out or how much you put in, if it's in the correct area of the dipstick at the correct time after engine shutoff, you're fine.

I drain mine on rhino ramps. Then, if I take a jack and jack up the rear of the car via the rear tow hook a little more fluid will come out. Then just refill, with walmart brand type F fluid, of course.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd fill it to the full mark on the stick on level ground when warmed up. Wonder what the filter in that transmission looks like? if it has one?

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
It doesn't matter how much came out or how much you put in, if it's in the correct area of the dipstick at the correct time after engine shutoff, you're fine.

I drain mine on rhino ramps. Then, if I take a jack and jack up the rear of the car via the rear tow hook a little more fluid will come out. Then just refill, with walmart brand type F fluid, of course.
Chris: You are borderline trolling, man. Stop it.

It DOES matter how much came out and how much you put in, and you are clearly lying about using "type F" transmission fluid. You would have grenaded your transmission immediately if you used that incorrect fluid.

It is NOT funny....

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
^ we need not take him serious. he's pulled this "type f" statement before then corrected himself after he was called to the carpet on it; said with was smooth as butter, but eventually went with that he only used DW-1. he also told a guy on the 8thGen forum that he should not switch to synthetic because sludge has already built up and his motor will blow. maybe he'll settle down after a few more months. ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TBH people like him should be banned. I know better but some other people may not. why the hell would i put anything inside my tranny other than the honda stuff

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just did my second drain and fill today, this time w/ no rhino ramps. came to the conclusion that it was underfilled the entire time. filled it up with exactly 3 quarts and drove it around for a while and it measures a little bit below the top mark now. car shifts much better after the second drain and fill. don't think i'll be able to get around to a 3rd D&F any time soon. she's getting the car back with the interior detailed, new oil and filter, cabin air filter, new michelin premier a/s tires, and power steering fluid. and also fixing the back light on her radio tomorrow. I think i did my part!

still not done with this car though. CEL light is on for a knock sensor, AC needs refrigerant (hopefully doesn't need a new radiator, taking it to a shop for this), cruise doesn't work properly, brakes are shuddering. what a mess!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts