Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this by accident. I just bought a used Yamaha motorcycle and wanted to do a DYI oil change so I bought the supplies and the filter wrench at the dealer. (I dont need any opinions on motorcycle oils, thanks!). Next stop was the Honda dealer as my Accord is down to 20% and I want to start stocking up for the upcoming oil change as I average over 2,000+mi/mo and it will be here quick. They were out of wrenches and I opted to just get the filter. I got back to the car and low and behold, it fits!

So, to your local Yamaha Powersports dealer and get one of these and for $13.95 you are out the door with $20 still in your pocket over the Honda version. It fits the OE Honda filter perfectly and looks just like the Honda version I've seen in pics.

Attachments

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Installed on filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can get all sorts of hard plastic kinds for like 5-10 dollars here in canada at Canadian tire (auto + whatever store). And thats CDN currency :p slightly less than US :p

who the hell pays 33 dollars for a filter wrench?

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
my experience is you only need the wrench once, the first time you change oil b/c factory tightens the crap out of these things. i never tighten more than finger tight, so getting it off for subsequent changes is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
916 Posts
my experience is you only need the wrench once, the first time you change oil b/c factory tightens the crap out of these things. i never tighten more than finger tight, so getting it off for subsequent changes is a piece of cake.

Agree - also love that the filter is on front (ok - other side) on the engine now. Hated it on the back.

·
Registered
884 Posts
$3 :)

Attachments

·
Banned
308 Posts
Naww dude the oil filter needs to be tightened with a torque wrench to at least 100 ft lbs otherwise it might leak oil

:withstupi

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
my experience is you only need the wrench once, the first time you change oil b/c factory tightens the crap out of these things. I never tighten more than finger tight, so getting it off for subsequent changes is a piece of cake.
this ^

·
Registered
884 Posts
My all time favorite movie quote from Arnold!!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So, to your local Yamaha Powersports dealer and get one of these and for $13.95 you are out the door with $20 still in your pocket over the Honda version.
Thanks for sharing that. As noted, a much better deal than Honda's version. Most chain type auto part store have those for under $10. O'Reilly's has them for $5 - $6. Their quality is certainly a notch below the one you bought, but they get the job done. I've use them for years on a # of cars. And they are easy to source. Just pick up the correct filter out of stock and match it up with the correct end wrench (they usually have 5 - 6 sizes) and you're in business. I tighten by filters by hand, but I find I need a wrench. I must be a wimp or something.:)

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
I stumbled across this by accident. I just bought a used Yamaha motorcycle and wanted to do a DYI oil change so I bought the supplies and the filter wrench at the dealer.
I got a plastic one of these from my local WalMart about 5 years ago or so if I remember correctly. I believe it was about $5. They still sell them.

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
Nice find, but like others, I had a plastic one I got from WalMart a few years back that works just as well. On the '13's and up, there isn't enough room around to filter to fit your fingers around the filter for tightening. One of these filter wrenches is practically a requirement for tightening unless you got teeny, tiny fingers!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I think I bought mine from Walmart as well. Black and metal (pretty sure it's metal). It take an extra tap to get it to seat properly, but it works and cost a few bucks.

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I have had bad luck with plastic wrenches/cups stripping or breaking and not wanting to back off so prefer the metal ones. I needed the Yamaha filter for the bike because I can not fit both the wrench and ratchet in the limited space, I need to use an open end wrench to back it off.

I do not trust hand tight, I have seen the bad side of that in person. I have a good supply of torque wrenches and I make sure that I torque to spec the filter on anything that I am changing the oil on. The plug I also torque to spec. Call me anal but IMO it makes it easier to come off and I know that it is on the way the engineers intended.

Jay :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Eric the car guy on YouTube said you can just hand tighten oil filters. I use a wrench though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts