Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I woke up this morning and went to the store, came home pulled in my driveway. Went to get out of the car and the door wouldn't open from the inside and I had to reach out of the window to open the door. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
the cable latch is broken on the inside. Take the door panel off and look inside and see if the green plastic thing has been broken off? You can't miss it, it is bright neon green

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the inside handle just started working again yesterday. I have no idea, but will definitely keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
your door mechanism is loose.
this is rarely happened unless you tempered with your door?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just having this trouble today. Pulled off the door panel and the little green piece is broken in half. Can I replace the piece or do I need a whole new cable assembly?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah the key is to get in there and assess the damage.

It's some screws and a panel popper and you're in there.

This happened to my rear passenger door -- I have a post on here about it.

"What was wrong was that the cable was not held in place correctly by the bracket (on the back side of the lever) as it must have slipped out somehow. So the lever action was pulling both the thin inner cable (which actually pulls the latch mechanism) and the outer tubing (which needs to be stationary) -- hence no action down at the latch.

I snapped the cable housing back into the bracket making the lever only pull the cable and poof, the latch works again. Entire process took about 20 minutes."

·
Registered
426 Posts
You may not need the cable assembly; I had this problem (green piece broken), and simply used a cut-strip duct tape to hold it in place so the latch would catch.

Worked for 8 months, then my cable broke. Now I have to replace the whole assembly, which would be ok except for the fact I have sound dampening material installed :thumbsdow

·
No longer active
571 Posts
I found that mine was broken when I replaced my driver's side door lock actuator. I held the broken pieces together in place and wrapped it in electrical tape. I made sure to leave the proper indent that would be there if the piece was intact. So far, so good - the door has no problems. It's WAY easier than replacing the cable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am currently experiencing this problem on my 2005 Accord. It's on the Passenger Rear door. I am just too busy to get in there and look at it. Does the door come off pretty easy? I'm hoping the piece just fell out and isn't broken.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I broke the green piece yesterday when I removed the panel to check slow movement of the window. I "fixed" it with a couple of wire ties

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
Those little cables are a boobie trap. Drop the door panel once, and the little green plastic piece snaps on the bracket. I didn't have to wire or tape anything, but just tried to keep the green thing in the bracket, untill I could carefully put the door panel back in place. I snapped the driverside door cable when changing the lock actuator, and the rear passenger door, while replacing the door checker. The door panels must be holding the cables in the brackets, because niether of them have come out yet. They both work like they always have. I was expecting them to eventually come out, and I was planning to replace the cables then, but that was years ago and the doors still work, even with my son constantly slamming that rear door.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Let me complicate this by saying I recently had a similar experience and after putting the plastic piece back together, a few days later it wont open again. Now this time, neither the outside or inside opens the door.

I was able to pry open the panel and inspect the cable while the door is shut, obviously the door is closed still, doing this through the opened window. The latch did in fact fall apart but it also does engage the cable at the latch because I feel it moving down there.

The lock still goes up and down when I hit the lock button, but that is what it feels like, that it is still locked. I hear about this lock mechanism you have had trouble with in other posts as well, where is this lil guy and hopefully I can reach it from the crevice I created at the top while the door is still closed.

Any Idea how I could pop the door open without using the conventional means of a handle?

Sorry for the length but I wanted to be clear. Thanks for the help DA!

·
Registered
216 Posts
bump!
gonna go to the body shop next week, was hoping you guys could help me out so i wouldnt have to pay someone for the knowledge. I dont mind doing the work, just gotta know HOW!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
Sorry, never had both inside and outside handle stop working. All I can suggest is trying to pull the cables with a pliers or anything you can reach it with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I figured I didn't get responses because people were baffled like I am :(
Yeah, I did pull the cable, right next to the latch even. no luck.
I'll update when its fixed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts