Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Not a n00b!
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's been a while since I've changed brake fluid on anything... I had no idea that you could even get synthetic brake fluid... isn't all of it synthetic?

Well in any case, can anyone see a problem running this in my 7th gen? :dunno:

I was planning to change the fluid tomorrow.

Rich.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
I run castrol GLMA syn no problem. I think its DOT4. Our accord can take DOT 3 and 4 so its not a problem. + I I took the car on the track. So its all good. GL with bleeding the system bro. If you can get a bleeder or have another person help you out.

· Registered
103 Posts
I'm running Castrol GT LMA too. You'll be perfectly fine with the synthetic stuff.
google. you can buy anything online. you can even get the honda OEM fluids.

· Registered
103 Posts
For reals? I'll have to check this "google" thing out some day.

But why would I spend $4-$5 for a 12 oz. bottle of DOT 3 OEM fluid when I can get 32 ounces of Castrol GT LMA at Pepboys for under $10? Doesn't make sense to me....
some people dont know that. and others just preferred the OEM products. if you really want to go cheap, you can get one for like $3 at walmart.

· Not a n00b!
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paid $11.00 CAD for a litre of it. Changed it out yesterday.

Pedal feels rock hard and all is good.

Thanks!

· Registered
663 Posts
This is your car but here is the citation from my user's guide:
Always use Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3. If it is not available, you should use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid, from a sealed container, as a temporary replacement.
Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the life of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid
DOT 3 as soon as possible.
Brake fluid marked DOT 5 is not compatible with your vehicle’s braking system and can cause extensive damage.

· 04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
This is your car but here is the citation from my user's guide:
Always use Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3. If it is not available, you should use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid, from a sealed container, as a temporary replacement.
Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the life of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid
DOT 3 as soon as possible.
Brake fluid marked DOT 5 is not compatible with your vehicle’s braking system and can cause extensive damage.
I think that's basically to cover themselves. Kind of like signs saying coffee is hot and may cause burning. I'm sure a good quality dot4 will have no problem (dot5 and up is completely different) They just don't want you dumping shit in there and blaming it on the car. Imo, people who don't change their fluid for 500,000 should have more to worry about than those looking to upgrade to dot4s higher temp resistances. I stick with honda coolant (because its made different) and honda ps fluid (because I had a bad experience once lol). Beside that, just use good quality fluid. Its not like we get our oil from the dealership either so unless someone has another idea....

· Registered
256 Posts
Paid $11.00 CAD for a litre of it. Changed it out yesterday.

Pedal feels rock hard and all is good.

Thanks!
what bleeding method did you use for your brakes?

· Registered
2,859 Posts
nice but I still rather stick with DOT 4 syn. Just incase you need to take it to honda they won't bitch at you for using DOT5. + I took my car to AutoX already. Brakes perfectly fine. Ceramic brakes + Castrol GT LMA is boss. Too bad I couldn't get my SS lines on

· 04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts

· Not a n00b!
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what bleeding method did you use for your brakes?
Old school with a friend, pump the pedal three times, hold on the third and then open the bleeder, close bleeder and repeat the process.

What's really neat is that there is some kind of valving that only allowed a "shot" of fluid to come out each time, almost "digital". On my older cars, the fluid would drain out till the pressure dropped, on the accord, it came out like a switch was turned on and then off, strange, but true...

Oh yeah, and i'm confident with the DOT4 fluid, regardless of what the mauals states. I'm not going to buy my oil from honda...so why would i buy my brake fluid from them? It's all the same stuff (save for DOT5).

R.

· Registered
264 Posts
Recently I took my brakes apart to do the @t-rd maintenance. When updating the spreadsheet, I found the fluid had been changed 2 years ago with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3.

So, I started the fluid change, and noted that the reservoir fluid was not discolored. "Strange", thought I, so I bled the LF caliper thinking maybe just the fluid there would be aged. It looked new also. So I just broke and oiled the rest of the bleeders so they would be accessible next year (Wisconsin winters, you know).

Have you had similar experience with synthetic brake fluid? It looks like I am going longer than the recommended service period with it.

· Registered
797 Posts
Brake fluid should be every 3 years.
Some people never replace it.
For me it's a safety issue to replace it every 3 years as it absorb moisture over time and will be less effective. Might be OK for regular driving, but once in an emergency situation, it might not be enough.

As for the color, it depends on the brake fluid. On my every day car, fluid is not discolored after 3 years. On my racing car, the color of the fluid after a race is OK in the reservoir, but it is really dark at the calipers. Really depends what you do with your car and how you drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts