Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DA,

I've seen a lot of you guys upgrade to the standard double din HU that leaves your old top display dead.

Based on some inspiration from fellow member staro0989, I decided to install another unit where the top used to be. Went with the Ingenix 81ACRD by NESA, which you can pick up from Amazon for <$200!

Just came back from the shop today after the install and I love it already. Top unit is set to navigation by default, while the bottom one handles all the main audio/video/BT. Audio for the navi with turn by turn directions all come from the external speaker that's mounted behind the unit. Forgot to tell them not to install the mic from the 2nd unit, so now I have 2 mics above my head lol.

·
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe
262 Posts
Hmm. There have been a few threads with people doing similar, and good on you. Looks good. Inspires me to look at part diagrams tonight and see if I can't swap my dual climate zone for one like yours, and then mount a screen on the top and upgrade my head unit for navigation.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its unfortunate we lose the climate controls by default from just switching the OEM radio and theres no way to prevent this without having to replace the top screen. It all of a sudden makes the head unit upgrade that much more expensive.

Otherwise I was this close to putting in a double din, but no chance anymore. Not willing to drop this kind of money on it.

Even if you have nav screen on top, it still doesnt show the climate controls does it? I couldnt drive a car that has no climate controls, 2 screens or not.

Is there no way around this without having to replace the top screen?

What if you put a single din in the car, does the top screen still go dead?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Its unfortunate we lose the climate controls by default from just switching the OEM radio and theres no way to prevent this without having to replace the top screen. It all of a sudden makes the head unit upgrade that much more expensive.

Otherwise I was this close to putting in a double din, but no chance anymore. Not willing to drop this kind of money on it.

Even if you have nav screen on top, it still doesnt show the climate controls does it? I couldnt drive a car that has no climate controls, 2 screens or not.

Is there no way around this without having to replace the top screen?

What if you put a single din in the car, does the top screen still go dead?
With either the OEM top screen or this Ingenix unit, the climate control function is retained with an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So even with any headunit (thinking about getting a pioneer 5100nex) the oem top display will still show our a/c options and time? Or will it be completely blank?

·
Registered
663 Posts
So even with any headunit (thinking about getting a pioneer 5100nex) the oem top display will still show our a/c options and time? Or will it be completely blank?
It will be blank. You need the stock headunit in place for those functions.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't know where you guys get this information that you need the factory head unit installed to have the climate control feature to work. But the climate control harness is completely separate from the head unit harness. So even though track information or radio information will not be sent to the OEM screen, the climate control information will still be sent because the screen will receive power regardless and the climate control is still connected to the OEM harness. Check the service manual if there is any doubt in what I'm saying. I recall when people installed aftermarket head units into our cars with disk climate control and it still works. The time I believe is dependent on the head unit however. One way to test this is to unhook the harness from the headunit and leave the dual climate control harness connected.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
^^is correct my top unit still shows temperature on it when I turn the ac or heater on.

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car doesn't have dual climate controls, but the Ingenix unit DOES have support for this.

Only issue I have read is that the car defaults to 72 degrees when started.

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^is correct my top unit still shows temperature on it when I turn the ac or heater on.
so it still shows the fan strength bar too?

I was told the compass doesnt show up either.

How do the temp controls still show up if its not even plugged into the stock radio anymore?

Im more enticed now to get a double din. But I need to know forsure.

Can one of you guys maybe take a pic for the rest of us?

·
Registered
747 Posts
so it still shows the fan strength bar too?

I was told the compass doesnt show up either.

How do the temp controls still show up if its not even plugged into the stock radio anymore?

Im more enticed now to get a double din. But I need to know forsure.

Can one of you guys maybe take a pic for the rest of us?
As I mentioned above, the dual climate control has it's own harness. It doesn't send the information from the dual climate control to the headunit and then back to the screen. The information is directly sent from the dual climate control to the screen.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
I'll just take a pic for you guys.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As I mentioned above, the dual climate control has it's own harness. It doesn't send the information from the dual climate control to the headunit and then back to the screen. The information is directly sent from the dual climate control to the screen.
Oh, so its only the time and clock that will stop displaying on the top screen.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll just take a pic for you guys.
Yes pics would be awesome thanks.

I took a look at a couple double dins today and deciding if mirrorlink is worth the extra money. Its not cheap toget a double din with mirror link.

Id only use the mirrorlink for GPS, thats it. But its a cheap way to get nav on a head unit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Im taking your word on this because I just picked up a double din and dropped it off at my shop to install it.

I mentioned this to them that the dual climate control shouldnt be lost.

Thanks for the input.

Also getting a backup camera put on. CANT WAIT! Im physched! Double din and back up cam go hand in hand IMO. Added cost, but makes the whole thing better value. Been wanting a double din in my car for like 4 years now lol.

Not happy about the cost and all, but what can you do. If you want it, you got to pay. Plus its a one time thing and will last me many years of enjoyment.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
Here you go a few pics. As you can see aftermarket radio and upper screen is not "dead". It still shows my temperature and fan power and it turns on where ever I left it off at.

Attachments

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the pics easy. Yes you guys are infact right! The dual climate controls still show up on the top screen! No need to replace it yay! The only thing I dont see on it anymore is the compass and clock.

Here is my new toy. Spent the last hour playing around with it. Love it. Love how it really cleaned up the look from the stock radio as that had way too many buttons.

Thanks to all for telling me this, I wouldnt have got the double din had you guys not told me.

Easy, what model is yours? Looks like youre running android weather app? How?

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
Mine is not pioneer I have an android double din running Android 5.0 and it's fantastic.

Has GPS and everything, I run waze and it's the best!!! Not to mention any Android app including Spotify Pandora etc. Literally android 5.0 in a double din it also connects to my phone through bluetooth as soon as I'm in the car. No complaints what so ever, those that have android know all the wonders it's capable of. For example I have Tasker which depending on my GPS location sets a route with the least traffic. Let's say when I'm leaving work it notices the GPS location and automatically routes the fastest way home taking traffic into account. There's so many features I could talk all day.

Congrats on the new toy! I'm still always playing with mine.

Reactions: internalaudit
1 - 20 of 35 Posts