Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on one of those mpg sites that if you know you're going to be stopped for more than 7 seconds, to turn off the engine. I've started to do this, and it saves a good amount of mpg considering that it ticks down .1mpg every ~sec or so.

Would this cause excessive wear and tear on the starter motor/battery? Do the cars that have auto stop/start feature have something that we don't that prevents wear and tear than if a regular car did this?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cars with start/stop have much beefier starter motors to compensate for the extra wear.

Main thing I'd be concerned about is that one day your car isn't going to crank when it turns green and you'll have some very angry motorists behind and beside you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Press the start button, drive around a bit, stop, press the stop button (every single electric components stop in the car, including radio that reset... rinse and repeat

oh that would be a VERY enjoyable ride!

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Press the start button, drive around a bit, stop, press the stop button (every single electric components stop in the car, including radio that reset... rinse and repeat

oh that would be a VERY enjoyable ride!
+1. How much gas would you be saving by doing this?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I doubt I would be saving anything honestly, when I start the car and leave my driveway, after 100 yards my consumption is around 6.2 MPG. But then goes down rapidly.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why not just let off the accelerator when you see a red light up ahead and use your brakes to try to time your arrival at the intersection after the light turns green so as to avoid stopping. It requires more energy to start the car moving from a dead stop versus accelerating from a slow crawl. Also, it avoids using gas while idling. Avoiding stopping at traffic lights will yield about the same fuel savings as turning your engine off at the light and not placing wear on the starter and electrical system. A little planning while driving can pay back dividends in both fuel savings as well less wear on the drive train.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Read on one of those mpg sites that if you know you're going to be stopped for more than 7 seconds, to turn off the engine. I've started to do this, and it saves a good amount of mpg considering that it ticks down .1mpg every ~sec or so.

Would this cause excessive wear and tear on the starter motor/battery? Do the cars that have auto stop/start feature have something that we don't that prevents wear and tear than if a regular car did this?
You might as well just buy yourself a hybrid if you're going to go to all that trouble.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Why not just let off the accelerator when you see a red light up ahead and use your brakes to try to time your arrival at the intersection after the light turns green so as to avoid stopping. It requires more energy to start the car moving from a dead stop versus accelerating from a slow crawl. Also, it avoids using gas while idling. Avoiding stopping at traffic lights will yield about the same fuel savings as turning your engine off at the light and not placing wear on the starter and electrical system. A little planning while driving can pay back dividends in both fuel savings as well less wear on the drive train.
This is solid advice. I use this hypermiling tip, but sometimes stopping at a light is unavoidable.

I'll be honest, when I'm going doing my crazy hypermiling runs like in my signature, I'll do the start/stop thing, because your car is effectively at 0 MPG which kills the average.

Does it make much difference? Depends on the amount of time you are stopped. And even so not likely much difference, but when you are trying to eek out every mile possible, then it just might.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Where the f*ck do people come up with this stuff?!?! What if an emergency were to arise at that very stop light where you have shut your car off???? Now you're fumbling with trying to start the car... foot on the brake.. not on the brake...put it back in drive.. or maybe reverse... Jeez.
I can assure you, you aren't saving any fuel. And you're creating wear and tear unnecessarily not to mention unneeded battery pull.
SMH...

·
Registered
842 Posts
You'd see modest gains at best, which will be offset over time by the cost of fixing everything you wear out. I try to do what Flyboy suggests, mostly because I'm in a manual and would rather start from 3rd than race to the light, come to a complete stop, and go through all the gears again. But it also helps your MPG and the car likes it much better than constantly starting and stopping.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only worth it when cars are designed for it, and do it automatically. Examples....hybrids, or something like the 2013 BMW 3 series.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Only worth it when cars are designed for it, and do it automatically. Examples....hybrids, or something like the 2013 BMW 3 series.
Not to thread jack but in October I had the fortunate luck to be next to a BMW 3-Series with start/stop on the Rainbow Bridge coming back into the US. It was utterly f*cking annoying and I was in the car next to it. I vowed then to never own a car that does that.

Jay

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do this already, but sometimes it's just not possible either because there are cars waiting to turn into the road, impatient drivers behind me, etc. I want to save gas, but not at the expense of others.

For other comments on somehow inconveniencing others when I do this, I am very aware of my surroundings, and I am usually off the line before other cars who have their motor running. Everyday I probably get the chance to stop/start the car about 2-3 times.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not to thread jack but in October I had the fortunate luck to be next to a BMW 3-Series with start/stop on the Rainbow Bridge coming back into the US. It was utterly f*cking annoying and I was in the car next to it. I vowed then to never own a car that does that.

Jay
I've heard people buying the cars don't care for it. Never experienced it myself. Must be bad if the guy next to you can get annoyed. Luckily there's a button to turn the feature off. If someone shells out the cash for a bimmer, they're probably not worrying too much about gas mileage.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Car uses .4 gallons per HOUR of fuel idling. In other words, not very much (do you really care about saving $5 per fill up?). I'm willing to bet the "turn engine off" might have had a net gain on old cars where everything was fuzzy in terms of fuel and ignition. But I wouldn't bother with a modern car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car uses .4 gallons per HOUR of fuel idling. In other words, not very much (do you really care about saving $5 per fill up?). I'm willing to bet the "turn engine off" might have had a net gain on old cars where everything was fuzzy in terms of fuel and ignition. But I wouldn't bother with a modern car.
Can you tell me where you got this information? In any case, I think I'll just leave the car on from now on and just do the other things. Thanks for the info guys

·
4,057 Posts
^^ I'm running a bluetooth OBDII adapter (along with my Nexus 7) constantly watching a couple dozen car parameters in real time. Fuel consumption rate is one of them.

·
4,057 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts