Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Drive Accord community,

I have a 2014 EX-L with the 2.4l. The engine has started making some horrible noises and I've traced it back to the tensioner pulley bearing. I looked at the part and it's ~90$ on the internet; which isn't terrible, but since the only issue is the bearing I hate to replace the entire assembly.

Has anyone gone through the process of removing one of these pulleys and by chance measured the OD, ID and width of the bearing cartridge? I am hoping someone here has that info so I don't have to remove the assembly, take the measurements, reinstall, THEN order the new bearing and repeat the process.

If not, I'll disassemble and measure myself and post it. Thanks everyone.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,238 Posts
Cant you just replace the pulley, and not the entire assembly?? I know my Gates tensioner pulley I replaced was maybe 40 bucks at the most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant you just replace the pulley, and not the entire assembly?? I know my Gates tensioner pulley I replaced was maybe 40 bucks at the most.
Oh yeah? Where'd you buy that? I can't find the pulley by itself anywhere for much less than the full assembly. Even rockauto has the gates assembly at 58$. For reference, bearings are like 10 bucks on mcmaster.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
It's what I did. I think I bought them off Amazon. No need to replace the entire thing and throw away money when it's not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
That bearing info is all over for 7th gen, but 9th gen has no info anywhere. The only way for you to find the bearing size is to hammer it out with a socket set on top of it and measure it with a caliper. I replaced just the bearing in the past with one made by Nachi Japan. You'll need a press or bench vice to press it back in properly without impacting force on the new bearing, quite frankly, it's not worth the hassle. Just buy a new pulley with bearing already pressed in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The bearing should have its specs stamped on either or all of the following: inner and outer races, dust cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone who's interested, I got the whole piece since it was the cheapest option to just replace the whole thing. I installed it and WOOOOWWWW what a difference.

Anywho, I also checked the bearing that was in the old pulley and here's the information that was stamped on the bearing:

Inside (facing engine)
Seal: 13-305 >ACM+Fe<
inner race: F-130000.43 / R844 K-T

Outside (facing away from engine)
Seal: 13-299 >ACM+Fe<

Dims:
OD 40mm
ID 17mm
thickness 14mm

For the record, I don't recommend replacing the bearing after getting it all apart. That thing is REALLY pressed in there. You'd definitely need a hydraulic press to get it out and put a new one in. I beat on the old one with a 5lb hammer and a socket pretty hard and it didn't budge. It's possible, but you'd have to be very careful not to damage the pulley while you're removing the old bearing and replacing it with the new one.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,207 Posts
I wouldn't think anyone would get down to the bearing level. I used to replace just the pulley part, that's including the bearing, if the price is right. On the older model, it was just about 15 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Drive Accord community,

I have a 2014 EX-L with the 2.4l. The engine has started making some horrible noises and I've traced it back to the tensioner pulley bearing. I looked at the part and it's ~90$ on the internet; which isn't terrible, but since the only issue is the bearing I hate to replace the entire assembly.

Has anyone gone through the process of removing one of these pulleys and by chance measured the OD, ID and width of the bearing cartridge? I am hoping someone here has that info so I don't have to remove the assembly, take the measurements, reinstall, THEN order the new bearing and repeat the process.

If not, I'll disassemble and measure myself and post it. Thanks everyone.
What sort of noises has your engine started making, and how did you trace it back to the tensioner pulley bearing?
How was the install? Fairly simple? My engine has started making an odd noise at cold start up as well as intermittently at a stop while idling. Wondering if this may be the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts