Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the sport mode for? Can you drive with Sport mode all the time ? Or is it just for going up hill and we need a little more power?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In the 6-spd auto tranny it locks out sixth gear and changes the shift patterns. Also, I believe, locks out VCM. I assume it simulates the same behavior in the CVT

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the manual already. I've gone through the whole book. But I still have no idea.

"Drive (S)
Used:
● For better acceleration
● To increase engine braking
● When going up or down hills"

Yeah. But my real question is that can I use it like D? What happens if I drive with S from the start?

·
Registered
884 Posts
It makes your engine go vroom vroom louder so you can go fast.

·
2013 Touring MSM/gray
7 Posts
I read the manual already. I've gone through the whole book. But I still have no idea.

"Drive (S)
Used:
● For better acceleration
● To increase engine braking
● When going up or down hills"

Yeah. But my real question is that can I use it like D? What happens if I drive with S from the start?
Using the "S" mode shouldn't harm the engine. That said, it will however hurt your gas mileage as the engine will be turning higher rpm. So it is up to you which you value more, fuel economy (with very respectable performance) or performance.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
You can, but if you reach even moderate speed, the RPM would be way too high. For my car (V6), going like 35-40 mph in "S" (without mashing the gas pedal) would buzz the engine at 3500 RPM or something like that. As an experiment, I wanted to drive an entire tank in "S" to figure out the MPG just for the hell of it. However, I learned quickly that due to the transmission not shifting up, it wasn't really possible to drive any extended distance in "S."

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
S mode also responds to the paddle shifters much better. It will actually shift when you want, and hold that gear until YOU tell it to change. When you use the paddle shifters in drive mode, the car will bounce in and out of the gear you "flapped" too.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
This forum could really use a search feature :naughty:

And Honda really should make their manuals available online.:banana:
The manuals are on line in PDF format with links. G to:

http://owners.honda.com/

Or do a google search for the manuals. I have mine on my iPad.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I find the S mode on the V6 Auto useless. I'd rather have the D1,D2, D3 setup back. Mine doesn't hold gears like I keep reading here, it shifts at odd times etc. Its laggy and ... useless.

I've driven a few V6 tourings, all the same.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I find the S mode on the V6 Auto useless. I'd rather have the D1,D2, D3 setup back. Mine doesn't hold gears like I keep reading here, it shifts at odd times etc. Its laggy and ... useless.

That's awfully strange, I have an EX-L V6 Auto, and 'S' mode makes a huge difference for me. The car is definitely much quicker in 'S' mode for me, and does hold the gears longer. It's fun to drive in 'S' mode too. The only thing I don't like is that braking feels too "sensitive." I'll gently press down on the brake pedal and the car will come to a stop quicker than I'm used to lol.

You may want to get your car looked at.

·
Registered
77 Posts
(S) Sport mode typically will keep the engine RPMs up....primarily to allow snappier throttle response (on acceleration) and increased engine braking (on deceleration).
You could drive in "S" mode all the time and not hurt anything.
However; since 6th gear is not available....and 5th gear isn't employed until you reach 70 MPH....it's practicality for everyday driving is limited.
But; using it won't hurt anything....and it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Mine works great, maybe something not right with yours. With the paddle shifters I can hold any gear for as long as I want......or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts