Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is my first post and might be my last. I'm a tall guy and car shopping is brutal. I absolutely loved the 2018 Honda Accord Sport. When I test drove it I noticed my knee was a bit uncomfortable. The console is kind of curved by the ignition with hard plastic. I saw another post similar to this on here but that turned into a "why do you have to tell us about how you hate Hondas" type of thread. I saw one guy put a mousepad there :lmao: but That should be last case scenario. Has anyone else had this issue and have you gotten creative with it? As a tall guy I'm limited to certain vehicles. The Sonata, Subaru Legacy and the Accord. Obviously would like the Accord. It was just fun to drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
No issues here, but I’m 5-9. My wife is a couple inches taller and she has no complaints either. Sorry to hear the car doesn’t fit you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
A car must fit. I suggest you not try to convince yourself that you will “get used to it”. If this Accord doesn’t do it, shop around for other cars.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I noticed my right knee hit the left side of the center console just below the start button a couple of times, but it hasn't been an issue since I moved the seat back. I had a 2008 Infiniti G35 that was much, much worse - no matter where I move the seat, my right knee rested against the center console. I'm 6' tall and skinny.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I created a thread about this a while ago. Someone suggested to get the pad from the touring. I find this a problem too and I didn't realize it till after I bought the car. I will probably never buy a car with a high center console again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove an '18 accord hybrid and felt the same thing. 6'1". I drive 2.5 hours a day. That would wear on me. I was more comfortable in the '15 accord I test drove. I haven't crossed the '18 off the list (which is why I joined the forum) but I agree on the knee wear and tear. I didn't sit in the EX only a base so I wasn't sure if the EX had softer material there. They didn't have an EX to jump in that day.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I created a thread about this a while ago. Someone suggested to get the pad from the touring. I find this a problem too and I didn't realize it till after I bought the car.
I bought the padded "leather" side console trim pieces from the Touring for my Sport, but my knee hit the hard plastic part of the console above where these trim pieces are located, so the padded pieces are only for appearance - at least in my case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the padded "leather" side console trim pieces from the Touring for my Sport, but my knee hit the hard plastic part of the console above where these trim pieces are located, so the padded pieces are only for appearance - at least in my case.
Was just going to mention those. Damn too bad, at least the interior looks nicer lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m 6 ft. I drove my wife’s ex-l over 500 miles this weekend and the console was never an issue. That part is padded on our ex-l though. I had a lx for an afternoon as a loaner and it was not padded there. The seat didn’t adjust up and down, and yes that was a problem. It became painful pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue with the hard plastic hurting my right knee so I replaced them with the leather parts.

Try searching for following parts:

83430-TVA-A11ZA - L
83420-TVA-A11ZA - R

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,647 Posts
Is it possible you could adjust the seat position to give you more leg room? You'd be surprised at how close you are to the steering wheel/center console when you really don't need to be. Try adjusting the seat so your knees are only slightly bent and just your toes are resting on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the great replies. I'm going to test it out one more time and see if I can adjust the seat differently.

·
2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
267 Posts
A car must fit. I suggest you not try to convince yourself that you will “get used to it”. If this Accord doesn’t do it, shop around for other cars.
I am 6'9'' and unfortunately being tall makes you compromise. The memory seats on the EX-L were useful to tune the best driving position. No issues to re-adjust after a valet or someone else drives the car. The EX-L also has the padding but as others have mentioned that is not where your knee rests. I did notice that the driving position got better as the seats wore-in. My best advice as a tall guy is that you will "get used to it". :grin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am 6'9'' and unfortunately being tall makes you compromise. The memory seats on the EX-L were useful to tune the best driving position. No issues to re-adjust after a valet or someone else drives the car. The EX-L also has the padding but as others have mentioned that is not where your knee rests. I did notice that the driving position got better as the seats wore-in. My best advice as a tall guy is that you will "get used to it". :grin

Have you had long drives with the vehicle or sit in lots of traffic with it? If the discomfort is minor, I can live with it. Boils down to whether I want to spend 26,000 for minor discomfort lol.

·
2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
267 Posts
Have you had long drives with the vehicle or sit in lots of traffic with it? If the discomfort is minor, I can live with it. Boils down to whether I want to spend 26,000 for minor discomfort lol.

I use the adaptive cruise control and brake hold features for my daily stop and go commute to DC. I have also taken long road trips with the adaptive cruise control. I really don't think about my knee anymore. I have had the car 4 months and around 4,500 miles. I would classify it as minor discomfort vs. a safety issue or not physically being able to fit in the car (2018 Camry).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny you posted this last night. I just searched for the same issue yesterday afternoon and got identical results/answers you did. I just purchased the car yesterday and somehow didn't notice the knee situation until the longer drive home. 6'7" with seat all the way back and down and feeling similar discomfort on the side of my right knee. I don't recall the touring leather being THAT much softer (I did test drive one) but maybe I'm wrong. I think I'm going to have to experiment with an adhesive felt furniture pad...something's gotta give.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 6'3" and the knee touching the console is perhaps the biggest reason why a '18 Accord is not parked in my driveway.

I drive the '12 Accord many times, and it seems to be far more comfortable than the '18 Accord. It sits a little higher and there is more room for the legs and the knees.

So be careful before you commit to buy the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m 6’4” seat all the down and no issues for my knee. H
Lucky Dog. My inseam is 36. Maybe thats why. :dunno:

Funny you posted this last night. I just searched for the same issue yesterday afternoon and got identical results/answers you did. I just purchased the car yesterday and somehow didn't notice the knee situation until the longer drive home. 6'7" with seat all the way back and down and feeling similar discomfort on the side of my right knee. I don't recall the touring leather being THAT much softer (I did test drive one) but maybe I'm wrong. I think I'm going to have to experiment with an adhesive felt furniture pad...something's gotta give.
I'm 6'7 too and we can only adjust the seat so much. Maybe the mousepad idea isn't terrible. The accord is clearly the best sedan out in the market right now but I cant justify spending $26,000 for discomfort. Why did they have to do this to us?:(

I'm 6'3" and the knee touching the console is perhaps the biggest reason why a '18 Accord is not parked in my driveway.

I drive the '12 Accord many times, and it seems to be far more comfortable than the '18 Accord. It sits a little higher and there is more room for the legs and the knees.

So be careful before you commit to buy the car.
Literally have no idea what I should buy at this point. I might be stuck with a Sonata or Impala :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey everyone. This is my first post and might be my last. I'm a tall guy and car shopping is brutal. I absolutely loved the 2018 Honda Accord Sport. When I test drove it I noticed my knee was a bit uncomfortable. The console is kind of curved by the ignition with hard plastic. I saw another post similar to this on here but that turned into a "why do you have to tell us about how you hate Hondas" type of thread. I saw one guy put a mousepad there :lmao: but That should be last case scenario. Has anyone else had this issue and have you gotten creative with it? As a tall guy I'm limited to certain vehicles. The Sonata, Subaru Legacy and the Accord. Obviously would like the Accord. It was just fun to drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I feel the plastic for sure, but it doesn't bother me. Funny enough, I don't recall my 2016 Mazda6 having that issue and it was a more tight fit for the driver. It was for sure plastic there.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts