Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
267 Posts
Literally have no idea what I should buy at this point. I might be stuck with a Sonata or Impala :(
Ok, I just took a trip to Costco and noticed I have significantly more room in the right knee area then I had when I bought the car. The seats definitely wore-in. I know the seating position has not changed due to the memory seats. When I bought the car I frequently found myself needing to make sure my rear was in the back of the seat. It was more comfortable in the knee area when I adjusted. Now it appears the seats have settled-in and the overall fit is more natural.

My experience is in the EX-L. I know the finishes and materials may be different on the various trims.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you are a taller driver that must adjust for seat height first, you work your way from there. Unfortunately, I have found with today's low sedans with cramped headroom there are few options to get comfortable. I'm thankful for memory seats. There is always some tradeoff, too low a seating position for entry/exit, adjust wheel to see speedometer, adjust wheel backward so arms aren't outstretched from the seat being all the way back. On the other hand, hop into an SUV or truck and once the seat is adjusted, you are good to go or at least have several options that all work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have owned a 2.0T Sport (Canadian version) for 1 MTH am 5 ft 11" and have had no issues at all. I sit in traffic 45 minutes to an hour each way work and back. It all comes down to how you adjust your seat and if you can make it work for you. I have found overall seat comfort to be excellent and much better than my 2017 Sport even though it had more leg room. I keep waiting for it not to be comfortable but it just keeps getting better as time passes.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Memory seats are a must. When we shopped the Gen 9, after my wife set up her seat in the EX, I could barely get in. We went up to the EX-L primarily to get the memory seats. (Face it, the leather in the Gen 9 is not all that good).

In my experience, you have to live with the car you buy, and it isn’t easy to get the right package. I’m 5’11”.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No issues with the center stack although it's definitely there.

Car fit is a funny thing. I'm 5'11" tried a bunch of cars, not the one's mentioned by the OP and couldn't fit in most of them because of the head room. The Accord was by far the easiest for me to fit, albeit lower to the ground than I'd have liked, and I've still bounced my head off the roof a couple of times although not recently as I've adjusted.

I look at the online reviews from some seriously fat or big dude's and somehow they fit in that tiny little Camry. Christ, no way I could have made that car work, yet, there's some 250 pound fat dude whose taller driving it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m 6’ 3” and was able to get comfortable pretty quickly. It did take a while, but working with the the wide range of adjustability did the trick. Then, I added the settings to memory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I created a thread about this a while ago. Someone suggested to get the pad from the touring. I find this a problem too and I didn't realize it till after I bought the car. I will probably never buy a car with a high center console again.
Do you have a picture of the pad that goes on the center console? My knee definitely hurts on long trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have done 3 long drives in my 18 Sport 2.0.
Cruise Control certainly helps but on day to day drives, my right knee is always pressed up against under the power button.

The shame is, they could have easily fixed it if they allowed the seat to go back another inch or 2.
They sacrificed tall driver comfort for leg room for the person who will probably sit behind me 5% of the time I will own the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No issues with the center stack although it's definitely there.

Car fit is a funny thing. I'm 5'11" tried a bunch of cars, not the one's mentioned by the OP and couldn't fit in most of them because of the head room. The Accord was by far the easiest for me to fit, albeit lower to the ground than I'd have liked, and I've still bounced my head off the roof a couple of times although not recently as I've adjusted.

I look at the online reviews from some seriously fat or big dude's and somehow they fit in that tiny little Camry. Christ, no way I could have made that car work, yet, there's some 250 pound fat dude whose taller driving it.
I find it wild that you're 5'11 and have issues fitting in any vehicle tbh.

Do you have a picture of the pad that goes on the center console? My knee definitely hurts on long trips.
I second this lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have done 3 long drives in my 18 Sport 2.0.
Cruise Control certainly helps but on day to day drives, my right knee is always pressed up against under the power button.

The shame is, they could have easily fixed it if they allowed the seat to go back another inch or 2.
They sacrificed tall driver comfort for leg room for the person who will probably sit behind me 5% of the time I will own the car.
I agree with this completely. For some reason the driver position is NOT as comfortable in the new Accord compared to the previous ones.
When I sit in the 10G and compare with 9G and 8G Accords, I feel less room in the 2018 Accords for the driver ONLY. The back seat passengers have much more leg room.

So for tall drivers, I guess the only way to avoid the knee digging into the center console is to move the seat all the way down and make lumbar adjustments with the tilt. Even then the knee still touches the console and you almost have to sit in a different way with your right foot almost rolling inward to change the knee angle. Plus the car feels much lower, like you're leaning back and driving.

So I'm single and almost never have people in the back seat. All the extra space that Honda gave in the back is wasted for me. I hope they had more space in front for the driver AND had a larger gas tank. I've no idea why so much leg room is needed at the back. This isn't a chauffeur driven car for executives who sit at the back..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For some reason the driver position is NOT as comfortable in the new Accord compared to the previous ones.
In the 9G Accord, I felt like I was driving down the road in a cross between a sleigh bed and a clawfoot tub. In the 10G Accord, the driving position feels much more commanding to me - especially with the long hood.

This isn't a chauffeur driven car for executives who sit at the back..
Says who? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Moccasins. Try them. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35379?page=men-s-handsewn-slippers-flannel-lined&bc=474-629-503380&feat=503380-GN3&csp=f

A friend loaned me a 2016 Porsche Boxster for a weekend (actually to see if I liked the turbocharged motor). Initially, owing to my height (36" inseam), I couldn't find a comfortable seating position. My right leg was literally pinned between the steering wheel and the center console regardless of how I positioned the seat and the steering wheel. On a whim, I tried sitting in the car wearing a pair of LL Bean slippers, and Voila! I had another inch or more legroom. Then the car fit perfectly. That slight change made all the difference in the world. I'll concede changing shoes might not be practical on a day-in, day-out basis, but it you like the car in all other regards, this might be an inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same issue here, I just live with it, The car is a blast to drive and I soon forget..If it gets bad I will think of something creative..Not there now..

·
Banned
271 Posts
I have to admit, I was on the "not a big issue" side of the fence before. I now see why people are complaining about the knee comfort. I don't think it would stop me from buying a car, but now I am hyperaware of this in every car I sit in. I think it was a compromise in order to make a wide console.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update: I went back and sat in the accord 1.5 without the sunroof and tinkered with the seat settings. I found a comfortable position. Now I'm intrigue din the 2.0. Ive seen some tall guys saying they fit well with the sunroof. I'd love to squeeze into a 2.0 since I'm coming from a V6.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts