Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Need some LSD...
75 Posts
I'm 6' 3 myself and noticed the same issue on that curved plastic trim piece! The solution for me was to tilt the steering wheel all the way up and pull it out maybe 1/2 way towards me. Gives my knees more room to be closer together rather than resting on that trim piece.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Instrument panel is lower due to Knee air bags

Because the '18 Accord has knee airbags, the instrument panel extends lower toward the legs. I'm 6'3" or so and a lot depends on the length between your kneecap and your waist and the length from your knee to the bottom of your foot, as well as the width of your leg bones. I had my right knee badly jammed against the '18 console as well as the inside of the lower leg. It was hopeless for driving, even around town.

From Ward's Auto article:
Accord Interior | Honda Opens Up Space | Interiors content from WardsAuto

Also making the Accord’s cabin feel more voluminous is a less-bulky instrument panel, referred to in Honda press materials as having an “ultra-thin profile.”

The IP’s vertical height is lessened, partially due to new safety technology such as knee airbags, the designer says.
And while moving front seats inward so driver and passenger sit closer to each other may seem counterintuitive when a goal is to create open space, Shimizu infers it lends an airiness to the outer edges of the Accord’s cabin.

"In previous Hondas, when we wanted to make the cabin more spacious, we’d actually move the people further apart,” Shimizu says. “This time, by moving them a little closer together, it created more of that overall interior feeling of space and that helped to create the overall cabin environment
SO, not only did they lower the seats, make the console full length and wider as opposed to the 9th gen short console, made the bottom of the instrument panel lower toward your legs, AND made the inside edge of the driver's seat CLOSER to the outside left of the passenger seat (i.e. making the inside of the driver's seat closer to the console). Trouble is nobody bothered to test it on tall people because the percentage of tall people that would have problems is not worth Honda's time to accommodate them.

I would try to find a Honda dealer that has car rentals, and see if you can rent a 2018 Accord for a few days to really test the seating position. Many dealers will also let you have an extended test drive for a day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m 6 ft. I drove my wife’s ex-l over 500 miles this weekend and the console was never an issue. That part is padded on our ex-l though. I had a lx for an afternoon as a loaner and it was not padded there. The seat didn’t adjust up and down, and yes that was a problem. It became painful pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I initially read this as you drove your "wife's ex-lover 500 miles" and thought that was quite mature of you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
6’4” - Sport 2.0 more room than my 2017 Pilot Elite. Very comfy!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to follow up here, you guys might laugh but I bought this little 6" mouse wrist pad and I just put it between my knee and the plastic and it stays while I drive. I could probably get double sided 3M tape and mount it but since my knee rests against the plastic the entire time, it never falls off. I'll eventually mount it but for now it's been a life saver - been using it for 3 weeks. I can't post links but just google "Kensington ErgoSoft Wrist Rest for Standard Mouse, Black (K52802WW)"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2019 EX last week and noticed something annoying with the driver legroom...has anyone else had this issue or am I just being picky?

-When I adjust the driver seat so it feels correct to me...there's only a very narrow slot for my right leg. And everytime I switch from accelerator to brake pedal my knee either bangs the start button nacelle on the right or the steering column on the left. I'm 5'10" and thin, I can' t imagine a stocky or large person fitting their leg in comfortably.

I guess I can fully back out the steering wheel and seat but it seems odd that legroom is so tight.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I have no issues with leg room. I do notice that it feels a little narrower than my previous Accord - probably due to the wide centre console...

·
Registered
262 Posts
FWIW, I also noticed (from the very first test drive) that the center console kind of widened out, right about where my right knee might want to rest against it. (I'm 6'4", but I don't know that this is totally limited to taller people.)

I was worried about it not being comfortable on long drives.

But what I found was that I could adjust my seat (and save it to memory) such that even if I wanted to rest my knee against that edge of the center console, it was in a comfortable spot on my knee, kind of "between knee bones", so to speak.

Hard to describe in words, but my advice is to make some small adjustments to the seat position, to find a spot where your knee CAN rest comfortably against the side of the center console. Most of the time while driving, your knee won't actually be resting against it, but if it does from time to time, it won't be pressing on anything in an uncomfortable way....

In any case, and maybe because I am now just used to it, but I don't notice any discomfort, even on longer trips.

·
Triangle wins
35 Posts
I'm 6'2" with '18 Sport 1.5MT; No problem getting my seat back far enough for leg room that way,
but yes the bulked out center console bugs the crap out of my right knee as it hits the sloped section, especially with all the right leg movement driving an MT. I can put the seat back and down far enough to pull my knee down to the lower half of the console which is OK, but then I can barely reach the upper half of the steering wheel and have to lean forward for the stick shift (and no I am not a T-Rex). One year in and I'm still constantly repositioning my seat during my 1 hour commute.
Makes me miss my 2005 Accord with enough room under the dash for a small family to live.
(Other than this significant issue, I love the '18 though)

I may try installing padding, and would like to see other's solutions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to chime in on this. I'm 6'2 and been having the same issue with my right knee. Just got my Accord and I love it but this is definitely a little annoying on longer drives. I was looking for some padding I could attach to the area and I found this car console pad on Amazon. Still hasn't arrived but I will report back on how performs.
51ix-9HP-YL._AC_SY400_.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy a Tundra. Plenty of room.
Now that's true! Rides great, too. Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, the Ridgeline is the only model Honda that continues to sell at or near its prior month-over-month/year-over-year #s (2200 a month, give or take). Love that V-6 motor.

(And I apologize for jumping the thread.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm 6'6" and chose the Accord largely because of the size/comfort/driver's seat positioning for a guy my height. Plus, it's one of the few "regular cars" I could still get with a manual. I did notice after a couple long drives in my 2.0 Sport that the dash kind of "pokes" the outside of my right knee. It hasn't been bad, really. I usually just shift my driving position if it feels uncomfortable. But I might invest in one of those little stick on gel pads for long road trips.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts