Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a rattle between ~1500-2300 rpm under load directly in front of me. It seems like maybe the trim around the gauge cluster, or maybe the dash up near the windshield on that side. It’s not the screen trim rattle as I have pressed there in several places and it has no effect. Any ideas? I don’t want to just start pulling panels blindly.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There is a rattle between ~1500-2300 rpm under load directly in front of me. It seems like maybe the trim around the gauge cluster, or maybe the dash up near the windshield on that side. It’s not the screen trim rattle as I have pressed there in several places and it has no effect. Any ideas? I don’t want to just start pulling panels blindly.
Definitely dont just start pulling panels. Will cause more rattle. Try pressing every panel one by one when under load?

·
mobiless2
2,198 Posts
My 9th Gen had a spare screw sitting under cluster, at certain RPM it made a rattle sound. Once I removed the trim, I saw the screw. Issue solved.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sure it's in the dash?

I would have sworn the rattle in my '16 EX CVT Coupe was coming from the driver's side dashboard. I wedged cardboard and foam strips into every seam and opening on both sides of the dash, in/behind the overhead panel, in/on the sun visors, in/around the glove box, etc. Didn't help...

And then one day I discovered it was actually coming from the side panel on the center console - on the passenger's side, no less! Since mine was still under warranty, the dealer popped off that panel just at the bottom edge and wrapped thin adhesive foam strips around the retainer posts that protrude from the console and then snapped the panel back onto to those posts. PROBLEM GONE!

Try putting you hand down the side of that panel on the driver's side when it's rattling, or -at least on mine- putting a hand down in between the console and the left edge of the passenger seat to see if you can isolate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 9th Gen had a spare screw sitting under cluster, at certain RPM it made a rattle sound. Once I removed the trim, I saw the screw. Issue solved.
How did you remove the panel under cluster? Are you referring the big plastic piece which covers instrument panel and center screen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure it's in the dash?

I would have sworn the rattle in my '16 EX CVT Coupe was coming from the driver's side dashboard. I wedged cardboard and foam strips into every seam and opening on both sides of the dash, in/behind the overhead panel, in/on the sun visors, in/around the glove box, etc. Didn't help...

And then one day I discovered it was actually coming from the side panel on the center console - on the passenger's side, no less! Since mine was still under warranty, the dealer popped off that panel just at the bottom edge and wrapped thin adhesive foam strips around the retainer posts that protrude from the console and then snapped the panel back onto to those posts. PROBLEM GONE!

Try putting you hand down the side of that panel on the driver's side when it's rattling, or -at least on mine- putting a hand down in between the console and the left edge of the passenger seat to see if you can isolate it.
Can you post some pics, please? I am losing my sanity over this rattle. 2016 LX. 24,500 miles and just out of 3/36k warranty.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Can you post some pics, please? I am losing my sanity over this rattle. 2016 LX. 24,500 miles and just out of 3/36k warranty.
Put your right hand down as far as you can in between the passenger seat and center console and press the console's side panel toward the console when you hear the rattle. If rattling stops, you have your culprit. Mine was under warranty so the dealer took care of it by wrapping adhesive foam on the pins that hold the panel onto the console.

There are a bunch of youtubes explaining how to remove the center console on Gen 9 Accords and at least one of them should mention how to remove the side panels.

And obviously I can't promise that panel is what's rattling in your car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Ronch
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing