Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver side mirror shakes up and down while driving mostly on freeway. Passenger is solid. When I adjust mirror it does seem driver mirror moves faster/looser? Than the stiff slower passenger side mirror. Car is a 2016 Honda accord touring. Confident it’s the mirror and not the housing but could be wrong. Could be tightened or clips where mirror attached be broken/loose?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Is it aftermarket mirror ?

That type of behavior is usually a sign of cheap aftermarket mirror, I had that on TYC brand.
Other thing you can do is to remove the mirror and afix it more in a sturdy way. May have to remove the entire mirror assembly from the door to make it easier to work with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is it aftermarket mirror ?
As far as i’m aware it’s OEM. Bought the car CPO. To clarify the symptom it’s more of a flutter as if maybe the mirror is not fully solid. Like the cars or objects in the mirror bounce and are not solid and smooth. Passenger side is all good.

That type of behavior is usually a sign of cheap aftermarket mirror, I had that on TYC brand.
Other thing you can do is to remove the mirror and afix it more in a sturdy way. May have to remove the entire mirror assembly from the door to make it easier to work with.
I can see that being the case. By aftermarket mirror do you mean just the mirror itself that is attached to motor or the whole assembly itself? I do plant to take the mirror off and see what’s going on. I have seen people have used 3m double sided tape to affix it better. I do have the heated mirrors if that makes a difference. If anything I would buy a geniune honda mirror and install, but I have been finding it hard to find the whole assey in my color, (white orchid pearl)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

I had aftermarket entire assy shake.

I also have the Asian market left mirror with camera in and bought mirror element from China and that seems to be good and heats better, but there are some caveats to that, and I also had to rewire entire harness to make it work properly and add two wires for heating element.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the pics, so do you think that it is just how the
I had aftermarket entire assy shake.

I also have the Asian market left mirror with camera in and bought mirror element from China and that seems to be good and heats better, but there are some caveats to that, and I also had to rewire entire harness to make it work properly and add two wires for heating element.
Damn, I just want it to be solid, as the shakiness is so annoying. I hope it’s not the entire assey and it’s just the mirror. Maybe some clips holding it on are broken or loose. Guess I can start by affixing the mirror to the motor better first? Or it may just be a cheap thin mirror?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Adjust the mirror so that there would be a gap on a side of it that you can see into it. Shine light and try to move mirror element with fingers and through the gap see how and what moves inside of it. Else, take it apart and figure out what is making the ruckus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adjust the mirror so that there would be a gap on a side of it that you can see into it. Shine light and try to move mirror element with fingers and through the gap see how and what moves inside of it. Else, take it apart and figure out what is making the ruckus.
I will try to investigate. Thanks for helping me out. Will post back what I find. One more question though. Where the mirror folds in at is that one piece or will that part come apart or can be tightening by bolts? In other words the part where the mirror pivots on the part that is attached to the body.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
it is two parts assy, if it's loose enough it will wobble noticeable. The Asian market that location is made much more better and solidly.
I posted a view of that Asian market mirror in this post

The us version is more flimsy, I do not remember if I posted pics of the us version.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is two parts assy, if it's loose enough it will wobble noticeable. The Asian market that location is made much more better and solidly.
I posted a view of that Asian market mirror in this post

The us version is more flimsy, I do not remember if I posted pics of the us version.
Wow I saw the pics and it looks much better built. Yours looks like the swivel is actually 2 metal pegs that lock in. When I look at mine it appears it just a plastic gap that slides and locks ontop of a plastic groove.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely read through those two post referenced earlier. Also, search these forums as there were some in-depth discussions as to how to remove mirror element without causing damage to parts.
Worst case scenario may just buy a new one genuine from Honda in my color. Will be $260 for the entire assey but if I cant fix it and it pisses me off enough that will be the last resort

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updste: I have used some painters tape to mirror glass to housing and it has improved greatly. I believe this tells me it’s the glass and hopefully not whole housing. Will be taking off glass this weekend to make sure it’s not the motor actuator as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven’t had time yet to take the mirror off and apart, but removed tape and it’s noticeably worse so I’m hoping it’s just the mirror and not the actuator inside. If it’s the actuator, hopefully a new assembly will fix the issue.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I suppose you'd be able to tell if yours is OEM just by closely inspecting the area behind the interior door handle. There would be nick marks from screwdriver of someone trying to pry away the cover to remove the screw in order to take off the door panel. I doubt someone would go an extra mile of replacing those. I bought a set of new ones just in case, mine were very hard to remove for some reason it was very tight in there, but I did it without damage, but it took longer just because of the extra care and stubbornness if the cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts