Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mcpt1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been lurking for some time, picked up a 2015 coupe V6 with MT. So far I love this car, especially the engine. My first new car was a 1986 Accord that took my young family all over the US pulling a small luggage trailer camping. Looking forward to 200k + miles from this car. My only issue is the drivers side arm rest. I knew this was an issue when I test drove an Accord. I/m 6'1". When I have the seat set to the right distance from the pedals, my left elbow drops into the hole for the door pull. If I move my elbow back to where it rests behind the hole for the pull, I'm only gripping the wheel with my fingers which is fatiguing in short order. I can't be the only one with this problem ??!!!. has anyone come up with a solution?
Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
583 Posts
So I've been lurking for some time, picked up a 2015 coupe V6 with MT. So far I love this car, especially the engine. My first new car was a 1986 Accord that took my young family all over the US pulling a small luggage trailer camping. Looking forward to 200k + miles from this car. My only issue is the drivers side arm rest. I knew this was an issue when I test drove an Accord. I/m 6'1". When I have the seat set to the right distance from the pedals, my left elbow drops into the hole for the door pull. If I move my elbow back to where it rests behind the hole for the pull, I'm only gripping the wheel with my fingers which is fatiguing in short order. I can't be the only one with this problem ??!!!. has anyone come up with a solution?
Thanks
Gary
I think I can help you.

Add a foam pad to the armrest: If you raise your elbow up a bit, you'll get a better grip on the wheel.

But, here's the deal: If you buy one of the few foam pads on the market, they will have a permanent type of adhesive which will IMO mess up your original armrest.

Have you heard of 3M COMMAND BRAND adhesive strips? You can find them at any Home Depot, Lowes store. They have POST IT type of adhesive which will hold a piece of foam of armrest and you can take it off with no residue left over.

You will want the foam pad to attach to the horizontal (armrest) and vertical (door panel) so you may need a little curve in the foam. Make a cardboard template to give to the foam factory. Takes a little time, but not rocket science.

Do you have a Foam Factory nearby, have them cut maybe a 1/2 inch or so thick piece of NEOPRENE works very well for armrests: very firm and durable.

Next, get some Black fabric and cover the foam pad. You'll want to use a fabric glue like Liquid Stitch to hold the fabric over the foam. Don't worry, the glue will not melt down and make a mess (although we don't get over 90F much here in Bay Area)

I've been using my own homemade arm pads in Prius for couple years.

Just take it out when you go in for service or they may knock it off and toss it. If you want to go permanent install, there's the off the shelf route.

Raise your elbow, then you can hold the wheel better.

But, yeah, is your wheel scope all out? It could scope out a little more overall and I wouldn't mind. Wee more seat travel and i wouldn't mind either.

btw, if and when I buy a 9th gen sedan, I would pad up the door and center armrest. I do the elbows on armrests, hands on wheel when I get tired of elbows up 10 and 2 o'clock.

I've tried the left leg hiked up, hand on knee too, but prefer my legs evenly spaced out.

Reactions: Username

·
CD5 to CR2
205 Posts
I'm not sure if the coupe's ergonomics is similar to the sedans, but I rest my arm on my knee. My left leg is brought up so my calf is almost touching the seat of the chair. I know it probably sounds weird but this was my most comfortable driving position I've found. I'm 5'10" and had similar issues. The arm rest was just too far to the left for me to have a good grip on the wheel. This method might not work for everyone but it's what works best for me. I probably sit further back than most as I like having room to slouch. :dunno:

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Thanks
Gary
I put my elbow on the ledge right next to the window, but that's how I've always done things.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well that was sort of a waste of time. OP posted and ran.

I tried the elbow on the door sill thing this afternoon in our 05 Accord sedan. Too much chicken-winging for me. Elbow up as high as my shoulder.

·
mcpt1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas fellas. Coming up with a bolster out of foam to go on top of the arm rest seems the way to go. I've got some open cell foam that's likely dense enough to make a prototype. Had never seen a foam factory but google says there's one not too far away. Will let you know how it goes
Gary

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the ideas fellas. Coming up with a bolster out of foam to go on top of the arm rest seems the way to go. I've got some open cell foam that's likely dense enough to make a prototype. Had never seen a foam factory but google says there's one not too far away. Will let you know how it goes
Gary
I think open cell foam is kinda squishy for an elbow.

There's stuff called Crosslink which is very dense and lightweight, doesn't cost too much. Neoprene costs more but is the most durable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Probably my biggest complaint after owning the car for 10k. I use the left leg hike up but may try a foam addition if I get bored....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess this is how they got more elbow room, by moving the elbow support too far away. Foam supported by a wood "shelf" helps my 2012 EX sedan. I miss my 1990 Accord. Armrest was fine, and the window ledge was low enough to use as an armrest

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess this is how they got more elbow room, by moving the elbow support too far away. Foam supported by a wood "shelf" helps my 2012 EX sedan. I miss my 1990 Accord. Armrest was fine, and the window ledge was low enough to use as an armrest
I am looking for something just like this to purchase. Nice ingenuity!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts