Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bad habit of mine is to close the door by reaching up to the top of the door/window and pulling closed.

I guess the 2019 is not compatible with that mode of operation.

About 40 cm of the rubber has come out of the slot.

What is the best way to get it back in?

Is there a way to improve its 'stay-in-ness'?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It's probably considered wear and tear now. They have gotten very particular about what is covered now.
Asking is still free...and I'd definitely insist....

If @AlanTheBeastV2 tears the gasket trying to put it back in place or messes it up with heat and/or glue, that would be a different story.

I usually grab the top or the forward edge of my door too, and I've never had this problem.

·
ChoppednTubbed
437 Posts
It's probably considered wear and tear now. They have gotten very particular about what is covered now.
Nope. Absolutely unacceptable. I know "under warranty" was thrown out there as a joke (I think). But, I totally agree. Bring it to the dealer, and have them deal with it, in view of the age of the car. If a dealer won't take care of something like this without flinching, it is not a place to do business. Find a new dealer.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Nope. Absolutely unacceptable. I know "under warranty" was thrown out there as a joke (I think). But, I totally agree. Bring it to the dealer, and have them deal with it, in view of the age of the car. If a dealer won't take care of something like this without flinching, it is not a place to do business. Find a new dealer.
If you're referring to my comment about the car being "under warranty", I was totally serious. The dealer should fix it at no cost for labor or parts, and without any of their typical "lip service".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes the dealership SHOULD replace it I completely agree, and would also find another dealership if they didn't. I'm saying unfortunately it may not be that easy. I had to sign two different documents about their warranty now. It flat out says unless it's defective it's considered wear and tear, and they made it unable for you to say you didn't know about it. I would straight bring it in saying it's defective if they argued. Don't mention anything else of how you close the door ect. Just be prepared is all I'm mean.
Edit: I don't think your the only person with this issue actually so that may help as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the exact same issue. Dealer fixed it, but it popped out again after about a week. They ended up ordering a new seal and it's been fine ever since. All of this was under warranty.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's a piece of weather strip, not a new engine. I doubt they'll flip out over this. You probably broke off a couple of the rubber retainers. If they do refuse, you're probably looking at a $20 part.

Are you actually pulling the door seal to close it, or pulling the top of the door? Both sound like bad ideas long term, but door seals are soft and I would expect them to break repeatedly if they're being treated as handles.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a '19 and it should still be under warranty. So make the dealer deal with it! :LOL:
Time issues.

It's a piece of weather strip, not a new engine. I doubt they'll flip out over this. You probably broke off a couple of the rubber retainers. If they do refuse, you're probably looking at a $20 part.

Are you actually pulling the door seal to close it, or pulling the top of the door? Both sound like bad ideas long term, but door seals are soft and I would expect them to break repeatedly if they're being treated as handles.
My hand over the door - so touching the glass on the outside with my fingers, last section of finger (ish) over the rubber, heel of hand on the inside.

I developed this habit with my prev. cars and never had an issue. Breaking the habit now.

@Vegashybrid As requested:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Time issues.
Time (and money) to mess around trying to fix it vs time to take it to the dealer...your choice...

But the longer you let this linger, the more likely the dealer will claim "normal wear and tear"...

And stop with the 🦍 grip on the door edge!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts