Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me when the drivers side cooling fan turns on. 2006 accord _4 cylinder. It does not overheat and the fan does not even turn on with ac on. Should it turn on with ac even if car is n
ot overheating?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Yes both fans should come on when the AC is on, so either you have

1. Blown Fuse
2. Bad fan relay
3. Ban Fan motor

If you have a multimeter or test light, turn on the A/C and unplug the connector to the fan and look for 12volts, if you have 12 volts the fan is bad. If no 12volts you have a blown fuse or bad fan relay. To test just the fan you can run jumper wires from the battery to the fan and if the fan turns the fan is ok.

Reactions: Drew03Accord

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mean to steal this thread but I have a similar issue, except my radiator fan will turn on once I hit the motor with the butt-end of a screwdriver. I'm assuming this is an electrical issue, but the fan also spins noticeably slower than the passenger side fan, so it's possibly the motor is dead/dying. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Along those lines, for someone who's experience working on their car involves changing oil, replacing rotors/pads, and light engine work (replacing TDC sensor on a civic, ignition coils, transmission bleed, VC gasket etc) is the process involved for replacing the fan motor that difficult? I haven't found a clear write-up yet of all involved, but it seems doable though not in a comfort zone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't mean to steal this thread but I have a similar issue, except my radiator fan will turn on once I hit the motor with the butt-end of a screwdriver. I'm assuming this is an electrical issue, but the fan also spins noticeably slower than the passenger side fan, so it's possibly the motor is dead/dying. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Along those lines, for someone who's experience working on their car involves changing oil, replacing rotors/pads, and light engine work (replacing TDC sensor on a civic, ignition coils, transmission bleed, VC gasket etc) is the process involved for replacing the fan motor that difficult? I haven't found a clear write-up yet of all involved, but it seems doable though not in a comfort zone.
Mine problem was similar....amazon TYC branded fans have worked great for me. $100 ish for the entire unit with 2 fans and reservoir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rendog, I appreciate your insight. I want to keep all parts Honda so I plan on buying the OEM Cooling Fan motor (part #19030-RAA-A01) however I haven't been able to verify what it will take to install.

Based on repair instructions for radiator/coolant replacement:

1. Drain the engine coolant.

2. Remove the front bulkhead cover:

3. Remove the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) cooler hoses (A/T). Plug the ATF cooler hoses and lines.

4. Remove the upper radiator hose and the lower radiator hose from the radiator.

5. Disconnect the fan motor connectors and radiator fan switch connector ('03-04 models)/engine coolant temperture (ECT) sensor 2 connector ('05-07 models).

6. Remove the A/C compressor clutch connector.

7. Remove the upper bracket and cushions, then pull up the radiator.

8. Remove the fan shroud assemblies and other parts from the radiator.

9. Install the radiator in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the upper and lower cushions are set securely.
I believe I only need to pull out the old motor and plug in the new one, without having to mess with the ATF hoses or drain coolant, though I am not 100% sure and have never worked on a radiator/cooling system before. Can anyone verify that if I am only planning to replace the cooling fan motor, I do not need to go through with draining and flushing coolant and transmission fluid hoses?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bumping this thread since I have the exact same question.

Today I took my car for an A/C recharge and the technician noticed that the driver side fan was not running. He said that when the A/C is on both fans should be running. Never noticed anything and the car never overheated because I use the A/C at all times (needed in the tropical weather here). He hit the fan motor with a hard object and it kicked in. So it needs to be replaced soon.

I was looking in Rockauto.com and found that individual parts (motor, blade, shroud, etc) can be purchased separately. Wondering how easy or complex it is to just replace the motor. I am handy with tools and could do it myself as long as there is no complex disassembly involved such as having to remove hoses or taking out the entire fan assembly.

What does it take to replace just the fan motor?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,453 Posts
The best way to get the fan motor out, is to remove the shroud, replace the motor, then reinstall the shroud. You might have to remove the top radiator hose, but no transmission lines. Get a shop manual for your car. The directions on websites like Autozone are too vague because they try to cover too many different models.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The motor is all you need to replace. The replacement motors are not identical as the Honda electric motor. They come with there own mounting hardware as they are shaped slightly differently, the electrical connector is the same. Personally, I would purchase and install the Honda motor. The fan blade is held on with a single nut and no special tools are required. Take your time and be careful as it is easy to puncture the radiator or bend a lot of fins.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a shot. Some time ago I found the entire service manual online so it is easy to lookup the steps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts