Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got an 04 Accord that hasn't had very many problems (yet :p). I use my valet key a lot when I go surfing which I have to put into the drivers-side door to unlock the car. Recently this key has been sticking a lot in the door/tough to pull out/insert all the way/etc. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? I'm not sure if the inside of the cylinder just has extra dirt particles which made their way in there that could be cleaned out or if its something else? Or if I need to replace the cylinder somehow? What are my options?

I'm scared to call the dealer because last year one of my keys was stolen and I asked how much it would be to change the locks for the car and was quoted $1k...

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
i know that this does not have to do with your subject... what was your outcome when your key was stolen, what did u end up doing?

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Buy a new lock cylinder, take to a locksmith and have it re-keyed to your key, most bodyshops can install.

2004 ex sedan part # 72181-SDA-A11 031 001 CYLINDER SET, L. DOOR 33.35 $23.68

·
Registered
231 Posts
Try squirting some penetrating oil in there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I lube my locks every now and then as normal maintenance.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Use graphite lube made for locks.
+1. This will usually do the trick. It's a good idea to do this every now and then. Maybe every oil change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find any solution to this problem. I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX and have the same problem. I open the driver side door from passenger side :p as suggested by one of the commenters. I would like to know, if I can buy individual key cylinder and replace it myself and still be able to use one key? or I could fix it anyways? I tried lubricating it but it doesn't help. It seems like the key goes all the way in, but doesn't turn. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Follow the instructions in post #3.

Buy the door lock cylinder, don't install it yet, call around to locksmiths to see if they can re-key that lock cylinder to your key, remove outer door handle, install new cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you please suggest what part to buy and from where

I am now planning to change the door lock cylinder myself. Can anyone please suggest what part to buy and from where (I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX, Driver's Door Lock) ? I got it diagnosed at a local service station and they said it was just the lock cylinder, but were charging me 300$ for the installation.
I want to find a cheap and durable way to replace it myself and would appreciate anyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
382 Posts
just got mine fixed!
i got a new cylinder installed got a set of 2 new keys for the door.
should cost no more than $50 at honda and my mechanic charged me $25 for labor

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue: my key would go in but wouldn't turn at all to unlock/lock.

I spent 3 hours tonight and have successfully fixed it! I took out my driver door key cylinder which is pretty difficult considering the tight spaces to work inside the door. Took apart the key cylinder and noticed one of the tumbler's had worn out causing the key to not be recognized as a legitimate key. From trial and error, I learned that I could remove the bad tumbler and the key cylinder would then be happy and unlock. I put it all back and everything is working perfectly.

·
Banned
14,428 Posts
I hereby nominate new member "peryst" for the prestigious "Drew03Accord MacGyver Award" for September 2015....

Nice job taking care of it by getting your hands dirty!

Reactions: Sylliec

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you do it?

Peryst, did you have to remove inside panel to replace lock cylinder? Or were you able to do it from the outside? How did you do it?
I had a break in and they ruined the lock. I bought a new lock cylinder, had it keyed to my existing key. Ready to install!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Borg, What did you end up doing here? I got a new cylinder and am not having much success getting it to match up with my handle on the outside. Any thoughts or suggestions? Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts