Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about two or three weeks ago, I picked up a 2003 Honda Accord with 105k miles on it, and I LOVE it. Really clean, and in great condition. The only problem that I've had recently is that the left (driver's side) headlight is out. The high beams work fine. The fuses are fine, and the bulb is fine.

The interesting thing is that while I was working on it under the hood, I pulled out the high-beam light (just by twisting it and pulling it out) to look at it. When I pushed the high-beam light back into place, the head-light magically "clicked" back on. So I went for a few days, and then it's out again. I've jiggled the wires to see if it's loose or something, but I couldn't get it to flicker.

So again, I would just pull out the high-beam light, (not even disconnect it from the wires, just untwist it from the plastic holder in the back), put it back into place, and then the main-headlight will come back on.

Last night, I noticed it was out again (actually got pulled over my cop -- just a warning) so I went to do the "fix" by pulling out the high beam, but it didn't work this time.

Another strange thing I've noticed is that as the car is driving, sometimes the headlights will dim just slightly, almost like house lights dim when the heater kicks in, or when you turn on a vacuum. They return to full brightness after a second, though, like they should. I don't know if that's related to this issue, but it didn't seem to do that before.

One last strange thing was that in the In-Dash Navigation (I'm driving an EX-L) system restarted randomly last night while driving. It's never done that before.

This seems like a weird electrical problem. Any ideas? Is it shorting out somehow? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Sounds like someone had the lights changed out to something else and returned to factory prior to selling as there should not be any problems with the wiring unless someone messed with it. Did you run a car fax as it is possible that it was in a wreck and repaired incorrectly. If the bulb, it is easiest to pull out through the wheel well as this side is nearly impossible to get the low beam from the top. Try to change out the bulb and inspect the harness. It should be easy to see if it's been modified.

If you bought from a dealer take it back and ask that it be fixed.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
loose or semi broken wire? loose or corroded connection for the head light...
+1

Exactly- I usually see corrosion in the headlight bulb socket or the bulb itself. Spray a shot or electrical contact cleaner in it or just spend the $8 and get a new bulb. Look at the wires, of course- but in my experience it is usually the corrosion on the bulb's base or in the socket itself that is preventing a proper electrical contact.

As for the dimming....this is known in some 4 cylinder cars. The "solution" is just to get a larger battery. I assume you have a 4 cylinder with the 51R size battery? You did not say.

Nav system sometimes re-sets itself.

Check out this thread and make sure your fluids are up to date: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145746

·
Super Moderator
6,616 Posts
Change the bulbs.

I have seen a cheap a** bulb shorting out the other bulb on the other side before..

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
I'm leaning towards cheap bulbs. I'll try to address a few of the issues in the first post.

I'm going to assume that the driver headlight not working is related to the DRL module. If the DRL module doesn't sense enough power across the two 9005 (high beam bulbs) it cuts off the driver side one. The high beam bulbs will still operate at full brightness in high beam mode though.

If the low beams are the ones that are giving issues, than that is definitely another issue.

The lights dimming while driving issue, that could be related to the charging system or cheap bulbs as well. When a big electrical load kicks in, or the A/C compressor, there is a spike in the output of the alternator that the voltage regulation circuit needs to account for. Big electrical loads that can cause this include the rear defrost, electric radiator fans, load volume levels on the sound system, particularly bass notes.

Your battery does also provide a bit of buffering to this effect so a bad battery can make this worse.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I'm going to assume that the driver headlight not working is related to the DRL module. If the DRL module doesn't sense enough power across the two 9005 (high beam bulbs) it cuts off the driver side one. The high beam bulbs will still operate at full brightness in high beam mode though.
The US spec 2003 Accords didn't have DRLs. I assume OP's car is US by his use of imperial units.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
The US spec 2003 Accords didn't have DRLs. I assume OP's car is US by his use of imperial units.
That's right, 2006 added DRL default to them, but on the 2003 to 2005, on the second headlight mode (parking lights) when the blinkers come on half brightness all the time, do the 9005 bulbs also come on at half brightness?

I'm not sure, but I would assume they use the same DRL module, it just doesn't default to turning on DRL's in the first headlight position when the car is running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That solved it! Thanks so much for your guys' help! :) As embarrassing as it is to say, it was user error. I had replaced the high beam, and not the low beam. Thanks so much!:thmsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts