Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched here and about every other place on the world wide web over the past few days, and I have learned a lot, but I still haven't found my answer. I have a 06 EX-L with dual climate control and the drivers side is outputting a max temperature of about 75 degF whereas the passenger side is outputting a max of about 130 degF.

Initially I was suspicious of the heater core being plugged, although it's somewhat illogical because the passenger side is nice and hot. Is there a way only part of the heater core is getting warm, like a dual path inside?

The other possibility I've been attempting to investigate is the driver's blend door. I can see the motor and linkage moving well externally and the shaft is rotating, so could the door have come detached from the shaft? Has anyone been into one of these to repair a broken door? I haven't started taking things apart to dig down to the air mix / blend door to look at it internally; how challenging is it? Is there a process somewhere? I can make the driver's side temperature vary some, but I'm not sure if that's a function of heater core / condenser temperature or the air door moving.

I have done the self diagnostic on the HVAC and it returned no codes, and all of the sensors were reading what seemed to be normal ranges when I cycled through the 10 feedback numbers.

I want to do my best to diagnose the problem before taking it to a mechanic / dealership as I'd hate for them to spend $1000 of my money to chase the wrong problem.

Oh, and I plan to post the solution when I get to it because this seems to be an area lacking documentation, from what I can tell.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I tore into my dash last night. Probably the most helpful information I learned for someone else trying to verify door motion internal to the heater box is; remove the center vent panel on top of the dash and use a bore scope down the duct work there. I started at the bottom and really couldn't get anything productive seen, despite removing panels, duct work and the forward portion of the center console.

So, I have verified that the air mix doors are all working properly in the air box, so I think I'm down to a heater core issue, unless someone has any other ideas. The hot water valve is actuating as I believe it should, the thermostat seems to be working properly as the engine temperature comes up and stays mid range.

Are there any special tricks to bleeding the coolant system / heater core on our cars? I tried my best to fill, squeeze hoses, and circulate the engine multiple times topping of as much as I could.

Also, does anyone know for sure if the hot water valve is on the inlet side of the heater core? I assumed so when I performed the backflush.

Thank you

·
Registered
507 Posts
If its drivers side your thermostat is working properly it should be cold on both sides if it isn't working right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coley909, I agree.

Does anyone know if the air box is split side to side before the blend doors, or do the blend doors pull from a 'common' hot area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver's side heat not working

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 and the same thing is happening. The heat works perfectly on the passenger side but on the driver's side it blows cold. I have had it in the shop for two days now and they say that all of the blend door components are working properly. The next thing they want to try is to flush the heater core. If that does not work they want to replace the heater core for 1000. Did you ever figure out the solution to your problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts