Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m very pleased with my 2020 Touring 2.0T, except for a minor detail here and there. One important thing does bother me, though. The yellow blind spot indicator on the driver’s side mirror doesn’t light up until I can see the overtaking car in the mirror anyway, and it is quite close. Essentially giving no “blind spot” warning at all. This means it’s very late to avoid a collision if I decide to change lanes to the left.

Other cars I have had before light up the warning in the mirror earlier, and before I actually see the overtaking car in the mirror. This is the way it should work, I believe.

Do any others share this experience, or have any suggestions for improving this important warning?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the exact same thoughts. But doubt it could be improved with a software update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine seem fine, although I've noticed that if the car is passing you at higher speed- maybe 10mph faster than you are driving- there seems to be a slight delay- maybe half a second- between when I notice the car disappear from my rearview mirror and when the light will illuminate.

How are your mirrors adjusted? I have mine adjusted so that it isn't showing my car at all- basically I move the side mirrors so that they show a bit farther to the sides. Doing this seems to give me the best visibility possible- and combined with the BSM sensors behind the rear bumper- provide a good balance of view and electronic support.

You also might be experiencing the limitations of the system itself... which are all described on page 502 of your owners manual. (You don't get a full manual with the car- you can either see it on Honda's website or request a copy through the mail within 6 months of buying your car)

The manual indicates that the BSM system detects other vehicles when they are within 10 feet of your back bumper, within 10 feet of either side of your car, and more than 1.6ft away from the side of your car.

The manual also makes the disclaimer that the BSM system may not work if:
1) The vehicle doesn't stay in the alert zone for at least two seconds.
2) The vehicle is parked.
3) The difference in speed between your car and the approaching car is more than 6mph.
4) The object isn't something normally detected by radar sensors.
5) The vehicle is a motorcycle or other small vehicle.

That said, on the very next page, the manual states that the system is designed to come on if someone is approaching your car with a speed difference of no more than 31mph.

It's also important to note that Honda has many disclaimers in the manual- basically saying that all of their electronic safety equipment is not a proper substitute for attentive driving. In other words, always look over your shoulder and check your mirrors before you make a lane change.

The manual has a large disclaimer about that, saying:
"Failure to visually confirm that it is safe to change lanes before doing so may result in a crash and serious injury or death. Do not rely only on the blind spot information system when changing lanes. Always look in your mirrors, to either side of your vehicle, and behind you for other vehicles before changing lanes."

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine seem fine, although I've noticed that if the car is passing you at higher speed- maybe 10mph faster than you are driving- there seems to be a slight delay- maybe half a second- between when I notice the car disappear from my rearview mirror and when the light will illuminate.

How are your mirrors adjusted? I have mine adjusted so that it isn't showing my car at all- basically I move the side mirrors so that they show a bit farther to the sides. Doing this seems to give me the best visibility possible- and combined with the BSM sensors behind the rear bumper- provide a good balance of view and electronic support. . .
Thanks for your very thorough answer, including hints that make the system work better for you. I will try them.

I, too, am an inveterate Manual reader, and had already gone over what it said before coming to the forum to get better ideas like yours for making the limited system work.

Although my Touring is overall a great car, and I'm pleased with it, I do think this is one area which hasn't been executed well by Honda. For perspective, my Subaru Outback was much better. The warning light came on sooner and it was much larger and many times brighter (located on the driver's side of the mirror housing, rather than the small icon on the mirror itself that Honda does). An earlier BMW was much the same. Both were much more timely and visible.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for your very thorough answer, including hints that make the system work better for you. I will try them.

I, too, am an inveterate Manual reader, and had already gone over what it said before coming to the forum to get better ideas like yours for making the limited system work.

Although my Touring is overall a great car, and I'm pleased with it, I do think this is one area which hasn't been executed well by Honda. For perspective, my Subaru Outback was much better. The warning light came on sooner and it was much larger and many times brighter (located on the driver's side of the mirror housing, rather than the small icon on the mirror itself that Honda does). An earlier BMW was much the same. Both were much more timely and visible.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice.
That's funny- my dad has a newer Outback with all of the fancy electronic nannies and while he thought that all of the features would come in handy- he has sort-of grown to dislike how picky the safety nannies are in his car... which I think is a 2018. He's always complaining about how often the system beeps at him and seems overly sensitive. I've never driven it- but I've been in the car with him and it does beep... a lot.

I suppose it's impossible to build a perfect system that everyone is going to like.

My current Accord is the first car that I've owned with BSM. Maybe it's because I've never experienced a better system, but it seems okay for the class of car that I bought. It's not perfect by any means. I've noticed what you describe- the fact that it seems to have a slightly delayed response on the highway when a car that's going much faster than I am is passing in the next lane. That said, I think of the system as a supplemental tool- and I never trust it. I always check my mirror and look over my shoulder before changing lanes. In a way, I use the system to monitor if a lane change is even possible. If the light is on, I don't even bother considering a lane change. If it isn't on, that's when I'll check my mirror and look over my shoulder to check my blind spot before shifting lanes.

As for the indicator lights on the mirrors themselves, I find them fine in all settings except in bright sunlight. At night, I actually think that they are too bright.

My only real complaint regarding the system is when I'm making a left-hand turn at an intersection where there are multiple left turn lanes. If I'm not in the left-most lane, the system will see the car that's in that outer lane during the turn and go nuts- with beeping and blinking light- because it thinks that I'm about to turn into the car that's in the outer lane. I've actually had someone in that outer lane beep at me and slam on their brakes because they saw the blinking light in the mirror and thought that I was planning on turning into their lane. My afternoon commute has one specific left turn at a very busy intersection. That intersection is so busy that there are actually three left turn lanes. Unless I'm in the left-most turn lane, the BSM system goes nuts each and every time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went on a drive today that involved about 45 minutes on the freeway- and payed a bit closer attention to the BSM system as vehicles passed on the right and left... and came to the conclusion that if you have your mirrors aimed correctly, there shouldn't be much of a delay in when the car enters you blind spot and when the BSM warning light comes on.

I noticed that as a car approached on either side, the BSM light came on while I could still see the back half of the car in my side mirrors- the front half being in my blind spot.

Try re-aiming your mirrors so that they are aimed farther out. Many people- my wife included, aim their side mirrors so that they can still see the side of their own car in the mirrors. That's not very useful... aim them farther out so that they cover more of your blind spot. Doing this should minimize the time that a car is in your blind spot- and might allow you to have a better balance between having a visual of your blind spot and having the supplemental reassurance of the electronic system as a backup.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
IMHO, they should go back to the Lane Watch camera. I'd rather be able to see for myself what's to the right rather than expecting/waiting/hoping some sensor and idiot light are going alert me...

My $0.02...

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
156 Posts
I agree with your comments on the blind spot monitoring system on the 10th Accord.

My EX-L hybrid should have the same BSMS package, and I don’t think it is performing in a satisfactory way: too late to remind me of potential danger for both sides.

I wish I can switch back to my 17 Civic which uses LaneWatch, because it is quite responsive and vivid to actually see what’s going on in my blind area.

Though, it’s better to have it than not have it. There are 4 or 5 cases in my 16k miles when I was almost to hit someone without the audio alert from BSMS: that car just appeared from nowhere.

A good way is to adjust your side mirrors. I’m now adjusting them to a fairly wide angle so that a side-lane approaching car disappears in my rear view mirror then appears in the side mirror. This widens my view and leaves very little blind spot even I don’t look over my shoulders—although I do look over in most cases. I highly suggest you try this if you are driving a lot highway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The BSM, IMO, is meant to be used in combination with properly adjusted mirrors, not as a replacement. I find that when my mirrors are adjusted correctly (as in the post immediately above mine), the BSM confirms what I am seeing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah it's too late but it saves me time. If the light is on I don't even look at all and don't change lanes. If it is off I check, if it's on I wait to see if they're there or not.

I live in PA so you need to check your blind spots. NASCAR assholes sit there and laugh (you can see them laughing in the mirror), because they can "pit" you if they want to. Miles and miles of them sitting right there so you can't merge over to pass someone in front of you because you drive an accord, not a truck, not a srt, so you are a liberal and should be tortured.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
. . . Miles and miles of them sitting right there so you can't merge over to pass someone in front of you because you drive an accord, not a truck, not a srt, so you are a liberal and should be tortured.
Yikes! I hadn’t even thought about politics when I got my Accord Touring 2.0T a few months ago. And I’m an old white guy. What does my Accord say about me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yikes! I hadn’t even thought about politics when I got my Accord Touring 2.0T a few months ago. And I’m an old white guy. What does my Accord say about me?
I have no idea, but I go on car forums that are a bit radical and not having a truck means instant enemy of rednecks. They would view you as an IT nerd, liberal, and sexless loser. I'm not that political but I vote the way they'd like and am still viewed as an enemy because I'm someone who though about BMEP, curb weight, transmission, fuel economy, and suspension when I got my 2.0t touring last year. They clearly don't think, they just comply.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Up until yesterday i really have not thought too much into this. But i noticed something from another vehicle and made me gauge my own. So on my way to work, i was coming up on i believe it was a kia SUV or something. As i got within maybe 3 or 4 car lengths, its blind spot monitor came on. Made me say damn that's sufficient. So after i had passed that vehicle by about the same amount of space, just so have it the traffic light we came up on turned red so i slowed down to see when my blind spot monitor would activate. It seemed more like literally one car length. Like if i were to change lanes it would have been me cutting that car off. I watched it more with a few more cars, and its the same. Maybe a car and a half of space is when it comes on. That's not a lot of space.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Up until yesterday i really have not thought too much into this. But i noticed something from another vehicle and made me gauge my own. So on my way to work, i was coming up on i believe it was a kia SUV or something. As i got within maybe 3 or 4 car lengths, its blind spot monitor came on. Made me say damn that's sufficient. So after i had passed that vehicle by about the same amount of space, just so have it the traffic light we came up on turned red so i slowed down to see when my blind spot monitor would activate. It seemed more like literally one car length. Like if i were to change lanes it would have been me cutting that car off. I watched it more with a few more cars, and its the same. Maybe a car and a half of space is when it comes on. That's not a lot of space.
Yep, that is the point of my original post here. Our Accords do warn later than many cars. Many good and intelligent helpful comments above which help get around this deficiency, but it’s a fact that this is at least one case where Honda doesn’t do something very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts